Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Commiserating with those who are clearly overweight when you're not clearly overweight.

Options
distinctlybeautiful
distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
Do y'all think this is acceptable? I'm at the high end of a healthy BMI and at the high end of a good body fat range for my height. I'm not lean, but - putting aside my own more critical eye - I'm not obviously overweight or overfat. Recently two different clearly overweight coworkers on two different occasions mentioned weight struggles and clothing-not-fitting struggles, and I legitimately and honestly related to their experiences. I expressed that and commiserated when we were talking. Then I wondered if it's somehow offensive to them, and I think this idea came to me because I always used to be very put off when people who obviously weighed less than me called themselves fat. I mean, what must they have thought of me if they thought they were fat. I've finally gotten to a place where I recognize that people's comments and feelings about themselves don't necessarily reflect how they feel about others, but I don't know if that's a common place to be. What do y'all think? Was I somehow being insensitive?

Replies

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I love it when overweight people give me nutrition advice

LOL what she said.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Lots of people who are average weight now have either struggled to lose weight to get there, or struggle to maintain it. So I think that you can share your struggles.