Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Commiserating with those who are clearly overweight when you're not clearly overweight.

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    And no, OP I don't think you were being insensitive at all.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but if I stopped and engaged everyone at work about their weight issues I would not get any work done. I do participate in corporate wellness activities and I'm always happy to chat with people who are comfortable approaching me about fitness - but I would never initiate a discussion like that.
  • ASadchit
    ASadchit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, I think there was no insensitivity going on as far as the OP is concerned, but I feel like there is an important point when asking "Can thin people give good advice on how to loose weight" and "isn't being thin a success in itself?" that people tend to forget - and, quite frankly in this Forum, seem to be quite arrogant about:

While we all hope and think we can learn how to control our weight, nobody can deny that propably the most important factor is upbringing. So, no, if you come from a family where the majority is fit, healthy and thin, your own weight does not require the same amount of work as someones who has an entire family with an BMI over 40. Because you have learned to eat with moderation, sport has been part of your daily life forever and you lack a lot of those really bad habits that are so hard to leave behind. Being thin is not achievement - just like being well-mannered, smart or well-informed are mostly a result of how we grew up.

If i was running around, telling people to educate themselves by reading more, blaming them for not doing it and assuming that reading as much as i do takes as much work from me as from someone who grew up not reading, that would be rather stupid, no? I could make the point that all those non-academic jobs will be lost quite soon - no matter what POTUS does to save those miningjobs - and that will be freaking expensiv for every society. But then people might rightfully remind me of privilege and be outraged. I might be smart, but that doesn't give me the right to expect that of everyone else.

That does not mean that one shouldn't try to change - i certainly do - but I get a little miffed by people who can't stop raging about how fat humans should simply be more like them without ever reflecting that there might, quite possibly, be areas where they themselves could improve.

In short: People who think fat people should simply eat less and exercise more also have to believe that stupid people should simply exercise (or chill, or...) less and learn more.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Maybe also they were trying to ask how you were able to accomplish your goal? Have you always been the size you are? Did you undergo a "transformation"? Maybe that's what they were trying to ask?
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    I love it when overweight people give me nutrition advice

I was overweight for almost 2 years, always gave good nutritional advice WHEN ASKED. Just because someone is visibly overweight unless you're certain they aren't actively losing weight that's pretty presumptuous of you to assume it's bad advice.

Of course now I'm lean and fit, but my advice is the same.

^ I agree with this (except I am not lean and fit at the moment).

I am overweight. Last year, I lost alot of weight (80 pounds). I was on my way to being a healthy BMI. I had major surgery and I stopped tracking and gained a good bit of my weight back.

I don't think my weight has anything to do with my knowledge or lack thereof regarding nutrition. I have a very good understanding of general nutrition. My problem is that I don't always apply these principles to my life. To that end, I also struggle with mental health issues.

I will say that I never give unsolicited nutrition advice. There are some people in my life that have asked me because they saw me lose alot of weight and they know my struggles.

OP - I don't think you were insensitive at all. I have learned (and continue to learn) that my feelings are my own and no one else is responsible for how I feel.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I love it when overweight people give me nutrition advice

I was overweight for almost 2 years, always gave good nutritional advice WHEN ASKED. Just because someone is visibly overweight unless you're certain they aren't actively losing weight that's pretty presumptuous of you to assume it's bad advice.

Of course now I'm lean and fit, but my advice is the same.

^ I agree with this (except I am not lean and fit at the moment).

I am overweight. Last year, I lost alot of weight (80 pounds). I was on my way to being a healthy BMI. I had major surgery and I stopped tracking and gained a good bit of my weight back.

I don't think my weight has anything to do with my knowledge or lack thereof regarding nutrition. I have a very good understanding of general nutrition. My problem is that I don't always apply these principles to my life. To that end, I also struggle with mental health issues.

I will say that I never give unsolicited nutrition advice. There are some people in my life that have asked me because they saw me lose alot of weight and they know my struggles.

OP - I don't think you were insensitive at all. I have learned (and continue to learn) that my feelings are my own and no one else is responsible for how I feel.

I've had a lot of thin people tell me not to eat carbs after six (or at all) or to include some magic food (yeah, 200 extra calories of coconut oil will definitely do the trick! *huge eyeroll* hahaha
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ASadchit wrote: »
    Well, I think there was no insensitivity going on as far as the OP is concerned, but I feel like there is an important point when asking "Can thin people give good advice on how to loose weight" and "isn't being thin a success in itself?" that people tend to forget - and, quite frankly in this Forum, seem to be quite arrogant about:

While we all hope and think we can learn how to control our weight, nobody can deny that propably the most important factor is upbringing. So, no, if you come from a family where the majority is fit, healthy and thin, your own weight does not require the same amount of work as someones who has an entire family with an BMI over 40. Because you have learned to eat with moderation, sport has been part of your daily life forever and you lack a lot of those really bad habits that are so hard to leave behind. Being thin is not achievement - just like being well-mannered, smart or well-informed are mostly a result of how we grew up.

If i was running around, telling people to educate themselves by reading more, blaming them for not doing it and assuming that reading as much as i do takes as much work from me as from someone who grew up not reading, that would be rather stupid, no? I could make the point that all those non-academic jobs will be lost quite soon - no matter what POTUS does to save those miningjobs - and that will be freaking expensiv for every society. But then people might rightfully remind me of privilege and be outraged. I might be smart, but that doesn't give me the right to expect that of everyone else.

That does not mean that one shouldn't try to change - i certainly do - but I get a little miffed by people who can't stop raging about how fat humans should simply be more like them without ever reflecting that there might, quite possibly, be areas where they themselves could improve.

In short: People who think fat people should simply eat less and exercise more also have to believe that stupid people should simply exercise (or chill, or...) less and learn more.

This is false. Just because you were raised with the knowledge and information regarding health, weight, and nutrition doesn't mean it makes it an easier for you than anyone else. Someone who doesn't have the bad habits in childhood could very easily go on to have them once they are on their own. I have all the temptations of over eating just like anyone else. I just choose not to do so.
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    I have someone at work who tells me everyday that the ONLY possible way to lose weight is to eat low carb. He has outright told me that IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight counting calories. :p
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started logging on MFP about 40 days ago. My goal then was to lose 20-25lbs and keep better track of my exercising. I realize that is probably a mild lifestyle change compared to many on here. With that said, I still enjoy reading other peoples` stories and discussing the various aspects of diet and fitness no matter what our situations are. As a person with management experience in the workplace, and as a co-worker to many, I have learned that avoiding comparisons to yourself and others, especially if you can be perceived as being the "better" one of the situation, helps tremendously. I have found that, opposite of offending, you taking an interest in their well-being, especially by giving advice and showing concern, may actually help. Be supportive without being condescending. One question are we talking about ladies or guys? That makes a huge difference.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    People who are very fit can struggle to stay that way..

That is a good observation - it is lost on a lot of people how difficult it is to remain physically fit over a long period of time, we are more likely to applaud the efforts of those who have gained and then lost a tremendous amount of weight. If you have always been fit, it must certainly be due to your genetics and fast metabolism, lol.

Most of the fitness conversations I hear at work regard fad diet methods, like cleanses, 20 day "fixes", or temporarily eliminating food groups. I usually don't get involved because I'm just going to tell them it is a waste of time and money, an opinion which historically hasn't usually well-received :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Recently two different clearly overweight coworkers on two different occasions mentioned weight struggles and clothing-not-fitting struggles, and I legitimately and honestly related to their experiences. I expressed that and commiserated

Ugh. You meant well, but it's best to drop the commiserating. There's nothing useful to say. Make pleasant noises, and get back to work. Then go home.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    There should be, like, a rule in the employee handbook that you can't talk about being fat at work. Or weight watchers or how many points food has. Also, no calorie talk and no fat gram rants. It should be a fireable offense. It would make life easier for us all.

Except now employee insurance plans have weight watchers meetings at work and make you sign health contracts.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Recently two different clearly overweight coworkers on two different occasions mentioned weight struggles and clothing-not-fitting struggles, and I legitimately and honestly related to their experiences. I expressed that and commiserated

Ugh. You meant well, but it's best to drop the commiserating. There's nothing useful to say. Make pleasant noises, and get back to work. Then go home.

To be honest I didn't have any intentions. I just responded naturally to something I've also experienced.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    At my work, usually the ones that keep talking about points, calories, lunch walks etc are the overweight ones. Which is great, but if 3 years later you are still overweight and talking about it, I wouldnt start writing a book on nutrition just yet.

And they've had a Fitbit for years with no effect...

This one is why I waited until recently to get on board with the whole Fitbit thing. Everyone I know with a fitbit just glances at it when it buzzes and says they don't feel like moving. Like, what's the point? If you've purchased the device, maybe, I dunno, actually use it to make some productive difference in your life? On the bright side, that means that class III, now class II obese me moves more than 87% of the active fitbit population. That should be embarrassing to half the people with a fitbit.. lol