What do you do after the day you overeat?

Replies

• Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    I rarely overeat anymore. If I do, I exercise like a crazy person and lose another pound!
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    When in any given day I eat more than my caloric intake, I take the extra calories and record them in the next days (never more than two days). That way I kinda "punish" myself for overeating and still keep overall goals.

Now that I am in maintenance, it is also normal to do the opposite. Some days I do not reach my caloric intake by 100-200 kcals. In that case I allow myself some treats and "charge back" to the days before, still maintaining my goals.

The important rule is never to span this to more than two days in the past/future.

• CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    It helps to focus on my weekly calories rather than daily. One high day will throw it off, and I will try to be more careful until the average is back close to my goal.
  • rdupuy1142
    rdupuy1142 Posts: 21 Member
    I cannot imagine eating 4000 in a sitting, so that's outside my experience. But let's say you somehow did manage to over indulge by enough calories to gain a whole pound. So what. So you lose one less lb. this month. I'd basically not care at all and change nothing. However, with that said, the second time it happens I would wonder if it is a pattern and if I decided it was, I would cancel those parties and refuse to go. No party is worth my health.

As far as exercise to lose weight...also outside my experience. I burn over a thousand calories a day through exercise. But not a minute of that time is spent to lose weight. That's a side effect only...not the main motivator. I understand why those who exercise keep weight off, it really burns through the calories. But it takes a lot to get to the fitness level that you can burn say 1500 calories in a sitting. I cannot imagine getting to that level of fitness with the motivation being the option of burning off binges.....nah, you have to love it for the sport.
  • rdupuy1142
    rdupuy1142 Posts: 21 Member
    P.s. Strava is an app for cyclists and runners that keeps track of calories burned as one of its stats. So just for the purposes of exploring exercise as a calorie burn off...if I ride for 60 miles over 3 hours, I would burn 2500 calories. I have done it, just because I am an avid cyclist. That is not a typical day for me, but you could get there, but honestly, you'd have to love cycling. If someone were to attempt to burn off 4000 calories as a response to a binge....and I know you probably didn't mean it that way, you probably just meant some token exercise effort to burn off maybe 10 percent or 400 calories...but to attempt to burn 4000 on purpose as a response to an over eating session...nearly impossible and probably dangerous.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    I try to bank up calories beforehand and also cut some the few days afterwards to counteract the splurge (obviously how much depends on how much I went over by). I feel like otherwise it would be too easy to get into the habit of indulging a bit too much since there would be no immediate consequences.
  • morganfx
    morganfx Posts: 12 Member
    If it's a planned thing, like a celebration, I carry on the next day as usual. If it's a response to an extreme craving, I try to figure out where that craving came from and deal with it accordingly. I don't punish myself;
    I try to think of strategies that will keep it from happening too often. For example, yesterday I went way over because I had been eating too little for a while, so today I'm concentrating on feeding myself well and paying attention to my hunger and energy level. I realize today that I have way more energy than I have had for a couple of weeks, so I was probably undereating during that time any my body needed a reset. No big deal, just something to watch out for in the future. I think the key to success is not to get too emotionally invested in a particular outcome.

Sometimes I'll crave a bacon burger and go over my goal to get one and realize after that I hadn't been too good on protein that week. But I also make room for bacon burgers within my calorie allotment! And all the foodz. Om nom.
  • findingone
    findingone Posts: 31 Member
    Drink a lot of water for the next 3 to 5 days and run my *kitten* off. All the bloat pretty much disappears without issue.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Try to train a weak body part and make use of the extra calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    I can't avoid eating such so much food, drinks and sometimes alcohol or wine on gatherings, buffet, parties and other celebration so I could say it's a overeating day I could inhale 4000k in one sitting (I'm logging that all up) I doesn't feel any guilt or any self discouragement but I know the scale after a week would be honest. so I post here to find some support and tips after the day you overeat, some of common suggestion is to exercise the next day is It good so? Getting back on track the next day Is also good for me and for the others what other good suggestion can you give to me so I would be more accountable the next day. I'm trying to maintain weight with a weight range of 149 to 154 pounds. Thanks

I drink a lot of water and eat to my target calories. If I exercise, I do not eat those back. I also stay off the scale for at least 3 days.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i log it and move on ...

Right, but if you're maintaining and you "log it and move on" every time you do that you're gaining. If you eat over maintenance by a decent amount 6 times over the summer that's probably going to be a couple lbs. There is nothing wrong with "restricting" 2-300 calories a day leading up to or following such an occasion. It's just like balancing a check book.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I too log it and come under 10-20% the next day, then back to trying to hit my calorie goal
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Log it and let it go.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Learning to deal with situations like this is part of maintaining your weight long term. You simply need to either A) prepare ahead of time by increasing your deficit through calorie restriction or exercise (or both) or B) pay for it afterward by doing the same thing. Learn to recognize when it happens, and simply do some extra work afterward. People will tell you exercise isn't required for weight loss, and they are right, but it is required for fitness, and honestly if you want to not re-gain your weight you should learn an exercise routine while you are dieting that you can continue afterward. It's simple logic.

If you log it, do nothing, and continue on, it simply takes you longer to reach your goals. However, in maintenance later on when you're not dieting, eating it and moving on means permanent gain. It adds up over time and will land you back here in the future wondering what happened.

Just my .02 anyway.

Exactly this. A few lbs a year can get ugly over time
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Honestly? I try to eat less before and after one of those days and to remember it is just one day out of 365 in the year and even if it is 30 days it is only 8-9% of the year so I have a lot more time to lose weight.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I eat fewer calories on weekdays specifically so that I can overeat and binge drink on the weekends. No guilt.