Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can diet affect your mental health?

Macy9336
Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
So someone was telling me the other day about how mentally unwell people tend to have bad diets and a higher risk for obesity. I looked this up and it's somewhat true. However, this person claimed that these people were mentally unwell BECAUSE they had a bad diet. This didn't make sense to me. I always thought that the mental illness came first and because of the illness, the person then has zero energy or motivation to shop, cook, etc and so often just eats crisps, microwave meals, takeaways/fast food etc which then leads to comorbid factors like obesity. What do you think?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Yes, of course it can. What we consume affects our entire body, and our brains are part of our body.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    A poor diet certainly isn't helping any tendency toward mental illness that someone may already have. And there seems to be a link between mental health and general physical health.

This article might be of some help.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738337/
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    I just read "Eat Move Sleep" by Tom Rath, and he demonstrates a lot of research to indicate that our diets, exercise, and sleep patterns greatly affect our daily mood.

As far as mental health goes, that's a bigger issue and it really depends what you mean. I think depression / anxiety can be correlated with a bad diet / no exercise / no sleep, but it's not clear if one is causing the other or if they amplify each other.

That's exactly how I feel, that it's a chicken and egg dilemma. I'm not clear which comes first. I know I feel physically good when I eat healthy. Unhealthy food tends to make me sluggish and have less concentration. But eating something unhealthy doesn't cause me to feel sad/depressed or anxious or have hallucinations. So maybe diet plays a role in boosting mental well being but I'm having a hard time pin pointing a poor diet as cause of mental illness.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    lioness803 wrote: »
    I've read some things that links (and no, I have no info saved on it that I can share right now) the gut bacteria issues to anxiety and depression. I've had digestive issues (IBS) and anxiety for most of my life, so anecdotally it seems possible that its a contributing factor. I need to get better at taking probiotics regularly and see if anything improves. Also purely anecdotal, but some people found cutting back on sugar improves mental health issues, but I think its impossible to pinpoint if that's just sugar, or part of overall lifestyle changes.

Scientists are definitely making some astounding discoveries with the microbiome, although the field is distinctly in its infancy. Apparently we are just crazy giant meat puppets controlled by our gut flora and fauna, if it is indeed true (as research is theorizing) that our microbiome can manipulate our hormones and such.

However, pills and yogurts labeled "probiotic" are unproven and increasingly strike me as scammy; although I eat my fair share of yogurt, there is no way the commercial, industrialized strains of bacteria are going to have a fighting chance against the gut bacteria that is there dietically, familially and genetically. A more effective way of introducing and maintaining new gut taxa is by a long-term regimen of ingesting "crapsules" and having poop enemas, supported by an appropriately supportive course of prebiotics.

Does autism fall under mental health? That is one of the most fascinating areas of current microbiome research:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/11/how-microbes-shape-autism/416220/

I have only recently started digging into this, but from the studies I have read, I would not be surprised if our microbiome may be able to play our mental state and emotions like a violin. It's super freaky and super cool at the same time.

ETA: For more information on specifically depression and anxiety as related to microbiome and diet. It looks like this is an opinion piece, but it is layman-accessible and includes a robust list of citations for further reading: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Felice_Jacka/publication/268746977_OPINION_The_gut_microbiome_and_diet_in_psychiatry_focus_on_depression/links/54753b0c0cf2778985aec8ae.pdf

Great links! We actually had a great but slightly hippy-dippy pediatrician who I think bought into microbiome/autism link. My oldest son had chronic ear infections and she really stressed feeding him healthy gut foods every single time she had to prescribe antibiotics.

While this is a tangent from the food/mental health issue, your links made me think about the fecal transplants for weight loss theory . Has there been a thread for that?

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    lioness803 wrote: »
    I've read some things that links (and no, I have no info saved on it that I can share right now) the gut bacteria issues to anxiety and depression. I've had digestive issues (IBS) and anxiety for most of my life, so anecdotally it seems possible that its a contributing factor. I need to get better at taking probiotics regularly and see if anything improves. Also purely anecdotal, but some people found cutting back on sugar improves mental health issues, but I think its impossible to pinpoint if that's just sugar, or part of overall lifestyle changes.

Scientists are definitely making some astounding discoveries with the microbiome, although the field is distinctly in its infancy. Apparently we are just crazy giant meat puppets controlled by our gut flora and fauna, if it is indeed true (as research is theorizing) that our microbiome can manipulate our hormones and such.

However, pills and yogurts labeled "probiotic" are unproven and increasingly strike me as scammy; although I eat my fair share of yogurt, there is no way the commercial, industrialized strains of bacteria are going to have a fighting chance against the gut bacteria that is there dietically, familially and genetically. A more effective way of introducing and maintaining new gut taxa is by a long-term regimen of ingesting "crapsules" and having poop enemas, supported by an appropriately supportive course of prebiotics.

Does autism fall under mental health? That is one of the most fascinating areas of current microbiome research:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/11/how-microbes-shape-autism/416220/

I have only recently started digging into this, but from the studies I have read, I would not be surprised if our microbiome may be able to play our mental state and emotions like a violin. It's super freaky and super cool at the same time.

ETA: For more information on specifically depression and anxiety as related to microbiome and diet. It looks like this is an opinion piece, but it is layman-accessible and includes a robust list of citations for further reading: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Felice_Jacka/publication/268746977_OPINION_The_gut_microbiome_and_diet_in_psychiatry_focus_on_depression/links/54753b0c0cf2778985aec8ae.pdf

Great links! We actually had a great but slightly hippy-dippy pediatrician who I think bought into microbiome/autism link. My oldest son had chronic ear infections and she really stressed feeding him healthy gut foods every single time she had to prescribe antibiotics.

While this is a tangent from the food/mental health issue, your links made me think about the fecal transplants for weight loss theory . Has there been a thread for that?

LOL I hope not. In my reading I have seen it emphasized again and again not to run out and start looking for poop pills, because as noted above, the science is in its infancy, and by infancy read: three-pounder in the NICU. There are particular taxa associated with low BMI, but it's not like the crapsules will be a quick fix for someone with entrenched overeating habits. I suspect it just makes things a touch easier. But after some of the things I have read here, I can see people lining up around the block for their high-priced poop pills...any kind of "magic" to avoid the tough process of actually cutting calories.

Out of curiosity, what did she think the connection was between gut issues and ear infections? Just that a healthy gut might cure one problem so it might cure them all? Or was it to help re-establish his gut flora after the antibiotics did their damage to it?
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    Out of curiosity, what did she think the connection was between gut issues and ear infections? Just that a healthy gut might cure one problem so it might cure them all? Or was it to help re-establish his gut flora after the antibiotics did their damage to it?

I think it was more about re-establishing gut flora because it might be so inter-related to our whole body. She'd say things like "Make sure he eats lots of fruits and vegetables and yogurt for the next month, you don't want to mess with bad microbes, we're going to be talking about guts a lot in the next 10 years."

And also related to my previous post - PSA- MFP people, please don't try DIY poop pills :) That was purely a theoretical mention!

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

I think it was more about re-establishing gut flora because it might be so inter-related to our whole body. She'd say things like "Make sure he eats lots of fruits and vegetables and yogurt for the next month, you don't want to mess with bad microbes, we're going to be talking about guts a lot in the next 10 years."

And also related to my previous post - PSA- MFP people, please don't try DIY poop pills :) That was purely a theoretical mention!

Cosign that PSA! :D