Trying to get my abs to start showing

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If your abs aren't showing, it's because you still have too much body fat covering them.

Or you don't have abs yet.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've been bitching at my trainer about my lack of abs, despite having a strong core and a bit under 17% body fat (girl - going to be higher than guys). I've been properly careful with food for about 10 months now, lifting 3 times a week, and switching to some more oblique versions of exercises for the last 3 months, and they're *just* starting to come.

Apparently there are two main variables:
    - Some people naturally have longer, flatter muscle tissues than others. These are the people who get kind of smooth and lean rather than going straight to bulgy, popeye muscles. Some people naturally build their muscle in a lumpier way. Apparently I'm one of the former.
    - It can vary as to whether you lay down most of your fat under (visceral) or over (subcutaneous) your abs. Those people, particularly women, who still have the vertical lines at the sides of their abs despite having a bit of a spare tyre have their fat under the muscle. And in fact the fat can push the muscle out and make it more prominent. I don't have much visceral fat (well done me) so am left fighting the little bit over the top.

So you can be fighting genetics as well as the very human desire for cake and beer.
    The quest continues...
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Visible abs are all about body fat. You just have to keep leaning out to uncover them. Just maintain a modest calorie deficit and keep lifting. You will get there.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    I've been bitching at my trainer about my lack of abs, despite having a strong core and a bit under 17% body fat (girl - going to be higher than guys). I've been properly careful with food for about 10 months now, lifting 3 times a week, and switching to some more oblique versions of exercises for the last 3 months, and they're *just* starting to come.

Apparently there are two main variables:
    - Some people naturally have longer, flatter muscle tissues than others. These are the people who get kind of smooth and lean rather than going straight to bulgy, popeye muscles. Some people naturally build their muscle in a lumpier way. Apparently I'm one of the former.
    - It can vary as to whether you lay down most of your fat under (visceral) or over (subcutaneous) your abs. Those people, particularly women, who still have the vertical lines at the sides of their abs despite having a bit of a spare tyre have their fat under the muscle. And in fact the fat can push the muscle out and make it more prominent. I don't have much visceral fat (well done me) so am left fighting the little bit over the top.

So you can be fighting genetics as well as the very human desire for cake and beer.
    The quest continues...

I'm one of the unlucky folks with extra visceral fat. My abs start popping around 30% BF.

I say unlucky, because the expected health risks are higher with visceral fat.
  • Chadxx
    edited May 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If your abs aren't showing, it's because you still have too much body fat covering them.

Or you don't have abs yet.

If he didn't have abs, he wouldn't be able to support himself. He couldn't even sit or stand. Of course, larger more developed abs will show more at a given level of body fat but it is still all about uncovering them.

Case in point...

td31gqo5gt0x.jpg

Vs...

c2yj658amfys.jpg

I guarantee Eddie Hall has an incredibly strong core yet that kid has more visible abs.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    Before I came on here over 3 years ago, I had stupidly wanted to get abs but wasnt eating right and was way too skinny. Since coming on here, mindset has changed and as long as I have a strong core from working out and doing Pilates, that is all I am looking for because abs arent the be all and end all. Dont let the pursuit of abs take over your life.

You can acquire defined abs without being obsessed with the goal of getting them.

I acquired mine by means of weight/fat loss combined with compound weight lifting (only SQT, DL, BP and OHP), compound body weight exercises (mainly pushups, pullups and dips) and cardio (mainly rowing and some spin biking) without "getting" abs as my primary objective.

My objective was simply weight loss and strength gain.

As soon as my BF dropped enough, the abs just magically "appeared" because my core had already been well developed in the process. This work also revealed clearly defined serratus muscles for the first time as well.

I didn't do anything special and didn't do a single sit-up, crunch or ab specific exercise. Just diet control with an emphasis on high protein intake (40% macro; .8-1g per # BW) and the aforementioned exercises.

I truly believe that anyone with the same level of dedication and discipline can do it too.

Abs weren't ever a goal of mine (probably because at 5'6 235 I thought they weren't achievable). But this is almost identical to how I achieved mine (though I ate 40% fat mostly while I lost the weight). OP, continue to strength train, eat at a slight deficit and be patient more than anything. Good luck!
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    But who would want to look like that kid?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Mine show in the shape of tires. LOL
  • gym4life64
    Options
    Abs in guys are kind gay looking. I wo
    gym4life64 wrote: »

That kid.
    And people that like abs

I'd rather get big, then worry about abs. Abs on a skinny guy aren't impressive. Well not to me at least. Because you can have abs like that and never lift a weight. But like I said, that's my opinion
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    In the end, abs are dependent on low enough BF% but genetics and muscle base as well. For example I have been lower BF a few times and while I looked pretty lean and had definition, I never had a 6-pack or anything like that. I don't have the muscle base for them and probably never will. I am also female so I know it is harder for us. Perhaps if I had built them up with progressive weights while I was bulking, but it was not a goal of mine so I don't bother with it.
  • Chadxx
    Options

Personally, I wouldn't but he was useful for making a point. Of course, I wouldn't want to look like the old obese me either... :|
  • gym4life64
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    In the end, abs are dependent on low enough BF% but genetics and muscle base as well. For example I have been lower BF a few times and while I looked pretty lean and had definition, I never had a 6-pack or anything like that. I don't have the muscle base for them and probably never will. I am also female so I know it is harder for us. Perhaps if I had built them up with progressive weights while I was bulking, but it was not a goal of mine so I don't bother with it.

^^^^ THAT right there explains it
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Abs in guys are kind gay looking. I wo

That kid.
    And people that like abs

I'd rather get big, then worry about abs. Abs on a skinny guy aren't impressive. Well not to me at least. Because you can have abs like that and never lift a weight. But like I said, that's my opinion

I'm always surprised by how many people here and even on on BB.c have their main focus on being ripped with abs than with size and strength. You see 6'1 guys weighing in at 140# wanting to stop a bulk because they are losing their six-pack. Kinda putting the cart before the horse, in my opinion.

When I was in the Army I had incredible abs. Never lifted a single weight to get them... although lots of daily typical military workouts, 5 mile runs, situps, pushups, pullups etc... but the reality is I was just super skinny with almost no body fat.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    Before I came on here over 3 years ago, I had stupidly wanted to get abs but wasnt eating right and was way too skinny. Since coming on here, mindset has changed and as long as I have a strong core from working out and doing Pilates, that is all I am looking for because abs arent the be all and end all. Dont let the pursuit of abs take over your life.

You can acquire defined abs without being obsessed with the goal of getting them.

I acquired mine by means of weight/fat loss combined with compound weight lifting (only SQT, DL, BP and OHP), compound body weight exercises (mainly pushups, pullups and dips) and cardio (mainly rowing and some spin biking) without "getting" abs as my primary objective.

My objective was simply weight loss and strength gain.

As soon as my BF dropped enough, the abs just magically "appeared" because my core had already been well developed in the process. This work also revealed clearly defined serratus muscles for the first time as well.

I didn't do anything special and didn't do a single sit-up, crunch or ab specific exercise. Just diet control with an emphasis on high protein intake (40% macro; .8-1g per # BW) and the aforementioned exercises.

I truly believe that anyone with the same level of dedication and discipline can do it too.

Same here. Never a single crunch or plank. hit my macros and did the compounds.

People tend not to believe this.

this is also possibly the reason my abs don't ripple and are completely flat unless I get leaner.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Jay2Zee wrote: »
    Abs are like racing stripes on a fast car, doesn't make the car go any faster but definitely looks nice lol. Abs are no joke. It requires dedication and eating right. For those who work regular jobs and can't eat every 3 hours and don't take time to properly meal plan, aren't going to get the abs they want. You'll get abs by not eating however you'll lose all muscle mass in your body and then what's the point? Eat clean and eat just under what your body uses on a daily basis. Pair that with cardio 2-3 times a week.

corrected...

thank you for this correction
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    john3064 wrote: »
    Been lifting weights and doing core work for 3 months. Lost the weight that I needed to and just having a bad week thinking that nothing is really showing on my abs. My back arms and upper body are getting bigger. But no sign of abs yet.
    In March this year I decided to get serious about my eating . I've been eating very clean since then . I don't do carbs and no sugar . My carbs come from veggies and fruits. Since then my ABS are more noticeable and I have gotten very lean .
  • Schila64
    Options
    lm9zlm81ic1p.jpg
    Here is a recent picture ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    Been lifting weights and doing core work for 3 months. Lost the weight that I needed to and just having a bad week thinking that nothing is really showing on my abs. My back arms and upper body are getting bigger. But no sign of abs yet.
    In March this year I decided to get serious about my eating . I've been eating very clean since then . I don't do carbs and no sugar . My carbs come from veggies and fruits. Since then my ABS are more noticeable and I have gotten very lean .

Vegetables and fruit have sugar in them and eating clean has nothing to do with do with abs...
  • Schila64
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Schila64 wrote: »

Vegetables and fruit have sugar in them and eating clean has nothing to do with do with abs...

Well, eating clean has worked for me...
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For now, measure your strength abilities because it may take a bit for visual progress. I've been working my abs for a long time and I'm finally seeing progress. I'm super lean, too, so slow growth has been frustrating. I imagine cutting through fat plus slow Ab growth is just as difficult as I imagine it to be to stay motivated.

You'll get there :)