What are your best food products you use to keep your calories low?

2»

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Mushrooms, celery, carbonated water.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    gd7daws wrote: »
    I like ranch dressing. We eat a lot of salads and most any bottle dressing just has far too many calories for me. I buy Daisy low fat sour cream (cant stand plain sour cream on anything) and add Hidden Valley dry ranch seasoning. I mix up the entire container and it lasts several weeks. 30 grams of sour cream is 40 calories and depending on how much of the dry mix you add to the full container of sour cream, it does not add many calories. So for about 50 cals, I have great tasting salad dressing.

Spaghetti squash instead of pasta was another life changing experience. My husband who is not trying to lose weight prefers it (and so do I) over regular pasta. This has become a dinner staple because it's healthy, filling, tastes great and then I have enough calories for a piece of garlic bread to go with my spaghetti and salad.

^^this. Spaghetti squash or spiralized zucchini or squash.... truly a game changer

• mfpanyko
    mfpanyko Posts: 21 Member
    Deli turkey, fish, whey protein powder, fruits and veggies...

And love my food scale!
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    My low cal finds: Alvarado Bakery sprouted flaxseed bread (each slice is 50 cals), veggie hot dogs, zucchini noodles, Trader Joe's reduced guilt guacamole (30 cal for 2 TB!), thin rice cakes, and PB2 is amazing!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    V8 low sodium fills me up for a salty snack and it has high potassium and low cap. Crystal light Peach tea (a little diluted) shuts down my sweet cravings.

String cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Carrots and hummus
    Protein granola on Greek yogurt
    Popcorn
    Grilled chicken with a little honey mustard (not salad dressing)
    Cottage cheese, cinnamon and applesauce
    Apple with Parmesan
    Apple with peanut butter
    Toast, peanut butter and banana
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Beer
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Beer

Yep, I had a beer and a wine and chocolate every day during the 12 months I lost 80 lbs, and have had the same in the 13 months so far I've maintained my goal since then.

The rest of my allotted calories are a nice mix of carbs, protein and fat made up of whatever foods I feel like eating on the day.
  • sadiratark
    sadiratark Posts: 10 Member
    1 cup of frozen strawberries and 2Tbsp of Redi-Whip
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    edited May 2017
    A food scale, portion control ... Foods? Broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, fish, chicken tenderloins, canned salmon, strawberries, melon, cantaloupe. I try to eat what I want, within reason, I try to make healthier choices, not always, because I refuse to live the rest of my life not eating the things I love, chocolate .. I'm talking to you!

Although I'm on a diet in the traditional sense of the word, to lose weight, I'm also now eating foods that I will continue eating and be happy eating after I reach my happy weight! That includes the Pepperidge Farm Frozen Chocolate Cake I bought yesterday, once small slice at a time.

I've lost over 20lbs this way and I'm much happier knowing I don't have to give up the foods I love entirely.

One nice thing I did find in our local grocery store which was very low calorie, was Old Orchard Healthy Balance Apple Juice, at only 20 Cal per 8oz, I keep a bottle in fridge always for those days I want something other than water!
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Walden farms
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    WilliamAndersonLMHC Posts: 117 Member
    Yes, @breathless575 , Walden Farms products are great! 0 calorie dressings! My favorite is the Balsamic Vinegret.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Seltzer. It satisfies my need for carbonation instead of diet soda or beer. I go for full fat/ full calorie foods wherever I can (though sometimes, they can be hard to find: cottage cheese and yogurt is a good example. Most brands are all 2% or less in my local store).
    I stick with low/no calorie spice and herb blends for flavor, and a variety of foods that I enjoy in different textures. I find that full fat satisfies me more and leads to me eating less.
    I favor whole grains like rice, bulgar, and freekeh, just in reasonable portions.
    I try to find high quality proteins like grass fed beef and free range chicken, but they're pricey so I'm only really particular about eggs (MUST be free range) and seafood (wild caught, only).
    If I need something sweet, I love cake and will sometimes buy a slice from the bakery and eat it over a few days...... or, I go for a Little Debbie snack. It just hits the spot ;). It's usually enough to kill a craving without doing too much damage to my allowance.

In general, I find that so-called diet foods just leave me wanting more, and lead me to over eating.
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    WilliamAndersonLMHC Posts: 117 Member
    Here's another idea for lunch if you want help with diet and weight loss, especially if you work, have a family, and are overwhelmed. Fitlife Foods recently opened in my town, selling high quality prepared meals, reasonably priced, all fresh, and offered in different sizes to accommodate different desires in caloric quantities. They have a shelf life of about a week, so you can buy enough for a week, pop them in the fridge, and you are done figuring out what to do for the week. They even deliver. At a clinic I work with, the whole staff is placing their order for a week, it gets delivered, and they are done, successful, happy with their diet and devoting time to other things. This chicken dish is 310 calories. Google "Fitlife Foods" and you'll find their operation's website. It's very interesting. c6to5tl0xkg8.jpg