How do you organize your recipes?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I copy them to Word or save in a PDF and save on my computer. I usually print them out to make. There must be a tidier way!

Replies

• zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just got a new app that lets you stick a link in and then pick a picture and it saves them all together in the app. It's called My Cookbook
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    oh, you can also type your own recipes in and save them so it's not jsut online recipes you find
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have a little note card book thing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My mum-in-law made me a scrap book with all her favourite and signature recipes either written or pasted in, and I just add to that.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    I still have my original somewhat dilapidated recipe box from the 70s, but I'm looking for a better way to organize my new recipes, all of which I find online.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pinterest. I separate "Proven" recipes from "Want to try". The proven recipes are made over and over again.

I have "Proven Mains", "Proven Sides and Desserts, and "Proven Breakfasts".

When I am experimenting I keep track on an index card and make notes as I refine the recipe to my tastes. I am perfecting a bread, protein bar, and a protein cheesecake.
  • BeardedTxCowboy
    BeardedTxCowboy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do everything different everytime.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    An old school recipe box for my old recipes (too lazy to scan or re-type), and Pinterest for things I find online.

But truthfully, I don't use recipes very often. Most of the time, I just make stuff. Structural ingredients are the only things that matter, so when I do use recipes (sort of), it's mostly for baked goods, which have more structural ingredients. But by this age (61), I know a lot of substitutions, so I fiddle with baked goods recipes, too. Non-structural ingredients are just there to play with, IMO. I like to look at recipes to get ideas for new flavor combinations, though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you want to get super nerdy, log your recipe in something like grouprecipes.com. Take a picture of your creation. Post on Instagram. Use lots of hashtags. Upload on to MFP. Make notes of the nutritional profile on your posted recipe.

Two of my favourite hashtags are #pancakesunday and #yegeats
  • tannahgill
    tannahgill Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Copymethat.com is amazing and free! You can install a button for google chrome and whenever you find a recipe you like, you just click the button on your browser and it saves it to your account. You can add your own recipes too.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    An old school recipe box for my old recipes (too lazy to scan or re-type), and Pinterest for things I find online.

But truthfully, I don't use recipes very often. Most of the time, I just make stuff. Structural ingredients are the only things that matter, so when I do use recipes (sort of), it's mostly for baked goods, which have more structural ingredients. But by this age (61), I know a lot of substitutions, so I fiddle with baked goods recipes, too. Non-structural ingredients are just there to play with, IMO. I like to look at recipes to get ideas for new flavor combinations, though.

I change almost every recipe but I like them for ideas and new combos and general proportions for things I haven't made before.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Paprika. I love it - it syncs meal planning and your grocery list, and will save recipes directly from web pages as well as allowing you to put them in yourself and categorize them however you want, with nutritional info. I usually don't cook from a recipe exactly but it's still nice to have the ideas there. I also have entries for local restaurants and takeout.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have a pretty pink binder where I store all of my recipes that I have tested and that I enjoy.

The recipes are separated into breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizers, desserts and treats. Each recipe is typed out and have a section for notes and the calories/macro breakdown.

I place them in those clear sheet protectors.

Inside of my binder I also have a folder where I store recipes I'm still trying to perfect or want to try eventually. These are usually just printed from the internet or are handwritten.

Since I cook just about every meal at home I have a lot of recipes. It does take time to maintain, but it's so worth it. It makes things easier and makes my weekly meal planning a breeze.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a binder with those plastic page protectors. I have them organized by type...beef, chicken, snacks, sides, desserts, pasta, mexican, etc. If we don't like one of the recipes, it gets pulled out and tossed.

I also utilize Pinterest a lot. If I make a recipe and we like it, I save it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have a large binder with dividers for recipes I print out. I just punch holes in the pages and insert them in the appropriate category. I take the recipe out and stick it to my refrigerator with a magnet when I want to use it.
    Before that I had recipes in an accordion folder. After 17 years of collecting recipes I broke 2 of those.

Online I have Pinterest boards of recipes I want to try.
  • mchavez494
    mchavez494 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Cozi. It's an organizational app and you're supposed to be able to sync with family, but I just use it to keep my recipes. It also creates shopping lists and all of that for you!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Copymethat is a great app.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I do everything different everytime.

same here
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I bookmark the link. I have a folder full of folders organized for each type of recipe in my bookmarks. It's free! The only issue obviously is when I don't have access to my computer, but then Google is your friend.