Moved to America, now struggling to get under control

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    goobery wrote: »
    I moved here from AU and found the same thing. The food is quite different, portion sizes and hard to find healthy alternatives. I also found everything, well nearly everything has high fructose corn syrup which is not good for the waist line. Plus all the hidden sugar and salt in foods. Even the bread tastes sweet compared to what we are used to.

It took no time to put it on and even longer to take it off. My advice, read the labels on everything, if you don't know what it is then avoid it.

Complete bs
    How do you find Australian and/or UK food compares then, in your visits there and here, then?

It's irrelevant you can buy anything you want in the US
    Ah. So have you been to Australia or not?

Let's recap. A poster describes their experiences with adjusting to US food culture, and made suggestions for how the OP could adjust too, as have others. Recommendations have all basically been to be mindful during shopping, without allowing yourself to be lulled into a false sense of security by knowledge of the calorie counts in an equivalent product elsewhere, as they always are on this kind of thread.

I think reducing all that to "complete bs" reflects very poorly on you.

Another bs post, take responsibility, count calories, don't get fat, it's simple
    I fail to see how discussing pitfalls has anything to do with not taking responsibility.

Claiming that it's difficult to find low cal food in a place like Denver seems questionable to me.

I live in Chicago which is likely less health conscious than Denver, and it's incredibly simple if one wants to do it.
    That's what I say when my father comes round my house and claims he can't find anything. ;)

"Dad, the kitchen scissors are right in front of you", I say... But they're not where he would put them, so, he genuinely struggles. We won't even get on to my cousin's American husband, who cannot handle roundabouts. ;)

Grocery stores are not all arranged the same way, so I have to look around when going to a new one sometimes, especially if it's much bigger than one I'm used to. But that's WAY different than claiming that stuff is not there, and you can ask a question of the people who work there.

As for quick serve restaurants, that's easy too. It's not like she's in the middle of nowhere (speaking of which, I had to find stuff that was diet-friendly in the middle of Mississippi this weekend). ;-)
    How did it go in Mississippi?

It was harder than what I'm used to, but I found stuff that was workable.
    Anyway, she said that she struggled to find what she wanted. The thread may have turned into "how dare Brits claim the US only sells..." but it isn't what she said. She didn't castigate the nation for a lack of New Covent Garden soups!

I think you and I read the post differently. I did not see her as saying "hey, where do you find X, Y, and Z in Denver" but claiming that we do not have reasonable calorie things at all (which is simply not true in Denver). I took that from her saying that it was easy to find it in the UK (not "I can't find it" but "you can" do X in the UK and not the US) and -- importantly -- claiming that it was much easier to maintain weight in the UK when that didn't really square with the facts. She hit her highest weight in the UK, lost it, maintained easily for a while and then started to struggle and seemed to be blaming the US, but IMO finding it harder when time goes on is a common issue without a move too, no?

But could be we are (I am) being too defensive, I admit it. I'm getting used to people claiming the US lacks healthy food and the like (which is false) so probably a bit too over it.

I think we could give better advice if she'd be really specific about what she likes and where she's looked.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    I moved here from AU and found the same thing. The food is quite different, portion sizes and hard to find healthy alternatives. I also found everything, well nearly everything has high fructose corn syrup which is not good for the waist line. Plus all the hidden sugar and salt in foods. Even the bread tastes sweet compared to what we are used to.

It took no time to put it on and even longer to take it off. My advice, read the labels on everything, if you don't know what it is then avoid it.

Complete bs
    How do you find Australian and/or UK food compares then, in your visits there and here, then?

Let's recap. A poster describes their experiences with adjusting to US food culture, and made suggestions for how the OP could adjust too, as have others. Recommendations have all basically been to be mindful during shopping, without allowing yourself to be lulled into a false sense of security by knowledge of the calorie counts in an equivalent product elsewhere, as they always are on this kind of thread.

Another bs post, take responsibility, count calories, don't get fat, it's simple
    I fail to see how discussing pitfalls has anything to do with not taking responsibility.

Claiming that it's difficult to find low cal food in a place like Denver seems questionable to me.

I live in Chicago which is likely less health conscious than Denver, and it's incredibly simple if one wants to do it.
    That's what I say when my father comes round my house and claims he can't find anything. ;)

"Dad, the kitchen scissors are right in front of you", I say... But they're not where he would put them, so, he genuinely struggles. We won't even get on to my cousin's American husband, who cannot handle roundabouts. ;)

Grocery stores are not all arranged the same way, so I have to look around when going to a new one sometimes, especially if it's much bigger than one I'm used to. But that's WAY different than claiming that stuff is not there, and you can ask a question of the people who work there.

As for quick serve restaurants, that's easy too. It's not like she's in the middle of nowhere (speaking of which, I had to find stuff that was diet-friendly in the middle of Mississippi this weekend). ;-)

Anyway, she said that she struggled to find what she wanted. The thread may have turned into "how dare Brits claim the US only sells..." but it isn't what she said. She didn't castigate the nation for a lack of New Covent Garden soups!

It's just an OP from someone a bit confused by being confronted by a food culture at odds with what she grew up with, whose habits and associations aren't serving her in a new environment. Denver may be wonderful, but clearly supermarket provision doesn't mimick the style and contents of a British chilled aisle closely enough for the OP to proceed as she did. I'm sure it has lots to offer of its own though.

There can be huge differences just between regional chains in the US, too. I sorely miss my Krogers in the South, and never get tired of walking into a Wegman's if I'm in New Jersey, but am not really impressed by most of the Safeways that I've found out in California. I had to search to find a decent store in Kansas (Dillon's, if you're wondering), but will automatically go to a Fry's if I find one when I'm in AZ. They all have the same basic groceries, but the layouts, variety, and quality of specific types of items can vary greatly. I can only imagine how much different it would be going from one country to another.
  • lemurcat12
    My parents have a big Safeway and I actually like it quite a bit. Part of the issue is that I'm used to a small city grocery store and so theirs seems big by comparison.

I always get freaked by a Costco.

TJ's and WF's have their own layouts (although they differ store to store).

Denver would have a variety of different grocery store options, as well as probably a number of local options.

But if I could not find something I would ask (or being me just keep walking around until I happened on it). I wouldn't assume that the country had no options fit for people watching their weight (especially since there has to be a subculture of very health and weight conscious folks in Denver).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member

Complete bs

It was harder than what I'm used to, but I found stuff that was workable.

I think you and I read the post differently. I did not see her as saying "hey, where do you find X, Y, and Z in Denver" but claiming that we do not have reasonable calorie things at all (which is simply not true in Denver). I took that from her saying that it was easy to find it in the UK (not "I can't find it" but "you can" do X in the UK and not the US) and -- importantly -- claiming that it was much easier to maintain weight in the UK when that didn't really square with the facts. She hit her highest weight in the UK, lost it, maintained easily for a while and then started to struggle and seemed to be blaming the US, but IMO finding it harder when time goes on is a common issue without a move too, no?

But could be we are (I am) being too defensive, I admit it. I'm getting used to people claiming the US lacks healthy food and the like (which is false) so probably a bit too over it.

I think we could give better advice if she'd be really specific about what she likes and where she's looked.
    A lot differently, yes. Probably because although I don't know Denver, I know what she means about soup options. I think we have similar eating habits. I am a forgetful idiot, so end up far from home without my prelogged packed lunch frequently. However, thus far, it has never been a problem, because I just find a supermarket and buy a soup or curry in a plastic tub from the cabinet by the door. UK supermarkets do a roaring trade in these, clearly.

Dunno what I'd do if I was somewhere where those cabinets weren't a thing. That would be a huge culture shock, all on its own.

• lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Probably because although I don't know Denver, I know what she means about soup options. I think we have similar eating habits. I am a forgetful idiot, so end up far from home without my prelogged packed lunch frequently. However, thus far, it has never been a problem, because I just find a supermarket and buy a soup or curry in a plastic tub from the cabinet by the door. UK supermarkets do a roaring trade in these, clearly.

Every supermarket I've been in has soup options like that. So do quick serve restaurants, of course.

Probably curry is more rare (here I'd assume curry was high cal unless it was something like a low cal frozen meal), so certainly our premade stuff would be different (but there would be lower cal options available).

There's also normally sushi and sashimi in a grocery store IME. I would not try to buy one (or any food other than maybe a protein bar) at a gas station, but I would hope gas station cuisine does not define us.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    My parents have a big Safeway and I actually like it quite a bit. Part of the issue is that I'm used to a small city grocery store and so theirs seems big by comparison.

I always get freaked by a Costco.

TJ's and WF's have their own layouts (although they differ store to store).

Denver would have a variety of different grocery store options, as well as probably a number of local options.

But if I could not find something I would ask (or being me just keep walking around until I happened on it). I wouldn't assume that the country had no options fit for people watching their weight (especially since there has to be a subculture of very health and weight conscious folks in Denver).

Definitely agree! I have no issues asking for help finding products, but I know that many people do. Denver is sure to have a variety of places to shop from and probably more options than OP even imagines, it's just going to take time to process all of that and figure out where her 'go-to' places will be.

I'm kind of envious, lol. I live 30 minutes to the closest Safeway (which is also the only grocery in town), and would LOVE options!
  • lemurcat12
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Denver is sure to have a variety of places to shop from and probably more options than OP even imagines, it's just going to take time to process all of that and figure out where her 'go-to' places will be.

Totally agree with this, and probably she'll still miss some of the things that she can't get, as they will be different. Your taste buds get formed on certain things, after all.

(I just hate the "you can't get healthy food in the US" meme or, perhaps "the only thing available in the US is oversized junk." If OP did not mean it like that, I apologize to her for interpreting it that way.)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    It also can be more embarrassing to ask for help and/or directions if your accent marks you out as a marauding tourist.

Soooooo... hang on. Hold the phones. Curry is not really part of US culture to the same extent, is it?

If this is the case, the OP needs your leniency. She may well be suffering from ACD- Acute Curry Deficiency. She will not be responsible for her actions while she is going through withdrawal!
    I don't know where you are at but if someone, a perfect stranger especially a stranger with an accent, asked for assistance or directions I would cut them huge slack. I want to treat people the way I want to be treated. I think most people do.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Just because portions sizes are larger in the US doesn't mean you have to eat the entire portion.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    edited May 2017

In my opinion it's what your used to. It takes time to adapt to a new country/ culture etc. for those of you that are born and bred in the US how about some consideration for others that are not used to it. If the shoe was on the other foot do you think we would be as nasty???

Only need to adapt to the location of foods in the grocery stores that are new to you. I've been to Germany twice ... I overate the first visit because it was all new and wanted to try everything but lost weight on my second visit as I knew better to not over eat.

It is very easy to find healthier and smaller potions in the U.S., even in the small town I live in.

Eat less, move more is simple
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    I am from the UK and I read the OP as someone just a bit lost in another country. We get so used to our own shopping cultures that faced with different options/packaging/sizing, it can all be a bit daunting.

OP I understand that it can be a pain to have to spend ages reading labels in supermarkets. Maybe you can check the products online. If any of the stores deliver they should give nutritional info on their websites like our supermarkets do. That way you can peruse the foodstuffs and make a list of the ones best for you.

I understand the idea of feeling lost in a country new to you or any place really, but she did say she's been here over 2 years .... I think she's had time to research proper shopping places and learn portion control
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Probably because although I don't know Denver, I know what she means about soup options. I think we have similar eating habits. I am a forgetful idiot, so end up far from home without my prelogged packed lunch frequently. However, thus far, it has never been a problem, because I just find a supermarket and buy a soup or curry in a plastic tub from the cabinet by the door. UK supermarkets do a roaring trade in these, clearly.

Every supermarket I've been in has soup options like that. So do quick serve restaurants, of course.

Probably curry is more rare (here I'd assume curry was high cal unless it was something like a low cal frozen meal), so certainly our premade stuff would be different (but there would be lower cal options available).

There's also normally sushi and sashimi in a grocery store IME. I would not try to buy one (or any food other than maybe a protein bar) at a gas station, but I would hope gas station cuisine does not define us.

Where do you live that there is normally sushi and sashimi in a grocery store? That is certainly not true where I live. There are a couple of brand new grocery stores in ritzy suburbs that have it, but it's the exception, not the rule.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

Where do you live that there is normally sushi and sashimi in a grocery store? That is certainly not true where I live. There are a couple of brand new grocery stores in ritzy suburbs that have it, but it's the exception, not the rule.

FWIW, I live in a mid-sized town in Kansas. Every Dillons in town has a sushi bar and the nearest HyVee just added one.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member

FWIW, I live in a mid-sized town in Kansas. Every Dillons in town has a sushi bar and the nearest HyVee just added one.

FT Riley Kansas, I was there once and omg the winters there... unruly lol sorry I know off topic but damn traumatically cold field training had taken place there haha.
  • lemurcat12

Chicago.

My parents live in the 'burbs of Portland and it was there too.
  • lemurcat12
    It also can be more embarrassing to ask for help and/or directions if your accent marks you out as a marauding tourist.

Americans usually love people with British accents. A friend of mine used to work for a UK-based firm and the management would joke about how they loved to come to the US since the accent would give them credit for extra perceived IQ points and sophistication.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    A lot of restaurants have salads on the menu that you can add chicken or shrimp to for an extra fee. If the restaurant also has a side dish of grilled veggies, I order that and ask for the add-on chicken. Then I don't have all the extra calories of salad dressing and other non-veggie toppings. I always ask how the veggies are prepared though, whether they have olive oil, butter or something else on them.