Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Weight loss can be tied to when, not just what, you eat - CNN article

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    It does have an effect on fat loss.

No. And as mentioned above, you're moving the goalposts.

Science:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

I stand by my original comment that someone who exercises significantly probably isn't 'sedentary' for the rest of their time, even if they have a desk job.

There are many studies that do identify a thermogenic afterburn, plus others that dispute this point (which wasn't even the basis of my original feedback to the OP)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There was weight loss in both groups (from the two 2013 studies linked in the article), so I guess pick whichever works best for you and your schedule. All I know is eating breakfast larger than my coffee usually made me hungrier at lunch and dinner and I had a tendency to eat more throughout the day. I am also not super interested in "faster" weight loss, more finding what is sustainable for me in the long run.

You are going to do very well!

Thank you! I am trying :)

I would say you're kicking azz!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    The thing that cracks me up about articles like this is that I know from years of reading the forums that not only is meal timing irrelevant, but more to the point, there is an optimal way of timing your meals that's uniquely suited to each individual and that has more to do with satiety and compliance than it does with optimizing fat loss.

In the end, these articles that get all breathless about rates of fat loss really, really bug me because they lure people in with the ever hopeful promise of the "hack", and all of us who are in this for the long haul have long since seen our way past all the quick-fixes promoted in the world of weight loss. Since none of them matter because there's never really a finish line, what's the point of trying to rush to it by taking on a meal style/macro split/food choices/fill in this blank with the newest media promise for faster weight loss that doesn't suit your personal preferences and lead you to greater satisfaction, compliance, and satiety?

I read the article and part of the linked study and came to the conclusion that what it appeared to show was that people who actively and aggressively managed their satiety were less likely to graze/snack on less desirable food late in the day when will power starts breaking down.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I will say that I cut back my carb intake at the end of the day, and mainly stick with proteins. That's been the breakthrough I needed to break my 2 months + plateau. We're all different. Different strokes for different folks. :smile:

so you replaced calorie dense foods (carbs) with foods that tend to be less calorie dense (protein) that is what resulted in your loss.

and we are all the same when it comes to weight loss CI<CO