Vegan Protein Powder

Options
hmbradley1965
hmbradley1965 Posts: 4 Member
I am starting my new program and my nutritionist wants me to use vegan protein powder I have a super slow resting metabolism I have got a lot of the new plan going pretty. I purchased a powder at the grocery store and it tasted like dirt from the back yard does anyone use this protein and has anyone found on that tastes good? I have gone to some sites looking for samples to purchase and am waiting for them to arrive. Until all advise is great. Thanks

Replies

• raebetty
    raebetty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Spirtein. . It comes in a great wide variety of flavors ( I usually just get the vanilla and chocolate ones ), blends amazingly well, and is very reasonably at usually 20-25 bucks a canister. You can also usually find a small packet on the endcaps/by the canisters at your local store. Its how I got hooked!
  • xmasoctopus
    xmasoctopus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try some Vega Protein and Greens! I have tried lots of the Vega products, and they don't taste at all like dirt. I do prefer them mixed into a smoothie with some frozen berries and a handful of kale or spinach, but they are fine on their own too.
  • debbystinson
    debbystinson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My very favorite vegan protein powder is pumpkin seed protein. That said, you need a high-speed blender. With one, it is the creamiest, yummiest, healthiest vegan protein on the market. Without a high-speed blender (meaning your blender just stirs things around rather than chopping them up) the consistency will be too chunky. Add vanilla, stevia and cinnamon -and - YUM!!!!
  • Brightdark
    Brightdark Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a Mexican restaurant I frequent that has hummus made with pumpkin seeds. It is out of this world, best I've ever had! I've always wanted to try to make it.. Do you just buy a bag of seeds and blend them? That simple?
  • Meggers120Now
    Meggers120Now Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Vega Protein Smoothie Choc-A-Lot flavour. I blend it with a half-cup of frozen cherries and cashew milk. I often add a tbsp. of flax seed oil and a tbsp. of chia seeds to pump it up a little bit. I'm having trouble finding it in a tub-sized format though so if anyone can help me on sourcing that... I live in Alberta, Canada.
  • ljsmith320
    ljsmith320 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Juice plus has Vegan friendly protein powder (using all sorts of vegetable proteins) and it's actually really good, I liked them better than the shakeology vegan protein!
  • SandyGirl7777
    SandyGirl7777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Biochem's Vegan Protein Powder in vanilla. I don't like the chocolate. It is very good and when mixed with unsweetened soy milk, it tastes like angel food cake batter even though it is unsweetened.
  • c4given17
    c4given17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I use Garden of Life's Raw meal vanilla. I add it to blended strawberries and blueberries or in coconut almond milk. It's a very mild nice flavor!
  • mtcampbell1
    mtcampbell1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    c4given17 wrote: »
    Good morning! I use Garden of Life's Raw meal vanilla. I add it to blended strawberries and blueberries or in coconut almond milk. It's a very mild nice flavor!

I use this as well...I love it with unsweetened almond milk.
  • Jodi_56
    Jodi_56 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try blending Vega Protein and Greens powder with Ripple, unsweetened dairy substitute, and frozen fruit (blueberries are my favorite). I also add a 1/4 tsp chai seeds, a pinch of ginger and cinnamon. Yummy!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Protein powdered shakes seem not to be the way to meet my protein macros. They seem not improve my fitness and I doubt its benefit for my health. I even suspect that it contributes to plateaus.

I have tried several low-carb plain and vanilla varieties (whey, soy, vegan). I stayed with vegan and experimented with several brands. Most blended well with fruits or cacao powdered. I would often add green food powder to the fruit and coconut oil to the chocolate.

A gnawing issue I kept asking myself, isn't a protein powder a processed frankenfood?

Moreover, beyond making my macros look on the page, I wasn't experiencing, in real-time, any tangible benefits and wondered if my shakes were contributing to plateaus that were difficult to break. Now, I have a half-container of VegaOne, sans gluten and a nice profile of vits&mins&aminos, that I may be able to give to my Son. He has a whole integrated lifting & cardio routine, and that may be an important difference.

My exercise outside of yard & garden work, is weekday HIIT with stretches & QiGong and weekend rebounding with free-weights & some yoga. I am exercising for general fitness, stability, & flexibility. My Son has lifting goals.
    The 30y+ age difference may also be a factor. He is lean. I have too much fat, which likely also contributes to my metabolic sluggishness.

Hence, I am experimenting and researching protein macro that floats between 50-75g, without supplementation. That may be my sweet spot.

I do incorporate other supplements. It's just that this one doesn't seem to benefit me.