Low carb crisis

Options
Hi! So I am a teenage girl, and I recently discovered that I have a form of insulin resistance that causes me to break out when I eat foods that are high in carbs or sugar that raise my blood glucose level(this is a self-diagnosis, but I am almost positive that this is what causes my acne to flare up). I did low carb about two years ago to lose weight, but I had to increase my carb intake because I lost too much weight. However, when I increased my carb levels, my acne got steadily worse over the year that I ate carbs. So about two weeks ago, I started to do low carb again to try and clear my skin. My acne definitely looks so much better, but I am losing too much weight!! I am 5'2 and I try to keep my weight at 100 but I am slowly declining, and my current weight is about 95 pounds. My mom is tired of this struggle, and so am I. I do not know how to gain weight without increasing my carbs and looking like a pizza face again. Please, if you have any suggestions about what I should eat, let me know!! Thank you!!!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor, not attempt to self diagnose. How old are you?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Don't limit calories. Eat more protein and fat.

And yes, see a doctor.
  • Rozzer84
    Rozzer84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agreed! You need to see a doctor and have tests done instead of self-diagnosing. If you are using my fitness pal are you keeping a food journal to keep track of what you're eating and using it to help you work out what may be causing your acne flare up? Your flare up could be caused by a particular type of carbohydrate but right now you are attributing it to ALL carbohydrates. For example you could be fine with potatoes but not bread because it contains gluten. Here's a video on carbs that might help you better understand their role and impact in the body
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krtt3z8czqs&t=3s
  • richardashley004
    richardashley004 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you so much!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of conditions that could explain your symptoms. PCOS comes to mind.

Foods with vitamin A can help with the acne. It helped my daughter.