Avocado or Black Bean Brownies?

Options
TayTayDrenDren
TayTayDrenDren Posts: 65 Member
Ive been looking up all of these healthy ways to make brownies using either avocado or black beans. Which one do you guys think is better?

Replies

• motterbe86
    motterbe86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have had black bean and think they are great. Never had them with avocado so can't help there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    motterbe86 wrote: »
    Have had black bean and think they are great. Never had them with avocado so can't help there.

I've made the blackbean ones many times and adore them. Never tried avocado, but am intrigued.

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I also like the black bean brownies, I haven't tried the avacado ones. I do want to try the ones made with sweet potatoes also.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this. I have seen recipes for all three but wasn't sure which type to try.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Avocado won't be much lower cal than traditional brownies. They'll have more nutrients and fiber, but not really lower calories. I can't speak to the black bean / sweet potato variations.
  • jeremypetz
    jeremypetz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just looked around and there are so many recipes for these...half seem loaded with sugar and are more interested in the gluten free/vegan side of the equation. I did find a protien focused recipe thou that seemed OK. I'd like to try incorporating an avacodo into it for added macros.

https://theproteinchef.co/protein-black-bean-brownies-recipe-high-fiberprotein/
  • aprilzabeth
    aprilzabeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Neither. I add applesauce, pumpkin, or extra virgin olive oil and those have been great.

Here is a good pumpkin recipe for a thick cake like brownie
    http://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2012/10/22/pumpkin-brownies-from-scratch/

For me applesauce tends to make things taste weird, but not in brownies. It seems to work out so well in brownies and keeps the calories low.

Olive oil produces a more chewy fudgy brownie and applesauce ones are inbetween.

I don't add any baking powder or soda. My usual recipe is something like...

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    1/2 cup flour (or just use 1 cup cocoa powder)
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 tbs vanilla
    2 eggs (or 3 or 4 depending on your mood)

350 degrees in a 8x8 pan for around 25 minutes.

Add more sugar or brown sugar if you'd like it more fudgy. Double it up for a larger pan or thicker brownies.

I make brownies all the time and am always switching it up a bit.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have only tried the black bean ones before, but I enjoyed them. They were especially tasty with a dash of peanut butter. Yum!
    My stepdad on the other hand was not a fan. Haha.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I like black bean brownies. They taste like chocolate brownies and not like beans. The only avocado chocolate recipe I've ever tried tasted like avocado flavored chocolate. I didn't expect it to still taste so strongly of avocado and I don't think those two flavors mesh well together. Chocolate and mint, yes. Chocolate and avocado, no.

I usually use this http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/healthy-grain-free-brownies/ recipe, but I make different changes to it every time. Sometimes I add a bit of coconut or coconut flour or almond flour or arrowroot starch. I use honey or maple syrup or succanat or regular sugar depending on my mood. It seems to be quite an adaptable recipe.
  • hms0803
    hms0803 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BLACK BEAN ALL THE WAY!!!! I will never eat brownies any other way!
  • dwall18
    dwall18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    can someone share a good recipe for the black bean? thx
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe that I made once, although the recipe calls for vegan substitution, I ended up using unsalted butter and regular milk for mine, but any substitution is fine.

Ingredients
    Black Beans 2 - 15oz cans drained and rinsed
    Flax Meal ¼ cup (32g)
    Milk Alternative of choice ¼ cup (60ml)
    Cocoa Powder (I used Dutch process) 1 cup (90g)
    Baking Soda 1 teaspoon (5g)
    Baking Powder 1½ teaspoon (7g)
    Maple Syrup ½ cup (120ml)
    Vegan Butter 3 Tablespoons (42g)
    Brown Sugar ¼ cup (53g)
    Vegan Chocolate Chips ½ cup
    Walnuts ½ cup

Directions
    Melt the vegan butter and then combine all the ingredients (except the nuts and chips) together in a food processor and process smooth.

Spread the batter into a lightly greased and parchment lined 8" X 8" baking pan

Sprinkle the nuts & chips on top

Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 35 - 45 minutes.

Cool before removing from the pan then cut into desired portion size

My comments:
    I created a Nutritional Fact for this brownie using the ingredients that I used.
    LqKec38.png

URL
    http://www.gretchensveganbakery.com/black-bean-brownies/
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Black bean! Save the avocado for the chocolate frosting. :wink:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/category/healthy-brownies-and-baked-goods/ has a ton of variations on healthy brownies (and the avocado frosting)
    I've also made brownies with pumpkin or sweet potato - both deliciously fudgy.
  • hicanvutnv
    hicanvutnv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avacado.... avocados make great chocolate mousse too. I'm a vegan 23 years avocados are very versatile black beans better for veggie burgers.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10551000/chocolate-cupcakes#latest

I remade these with about double the cocoa and stevia and everyone really liked them. They are also high in protein.