pain and working out

Anyone struggling with chronic pain getting in the way of working out? I have degenerative disc disease = severe lower back pain. I used to enjoy running and yoga. now even daily activity is very painful. I think the pain will lessen if I am in better shape and lose the weight, but it's hard to stay motivated and work through the pain! Thoughts?

Replies

• DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Yes but nothing severe. My thought is "severe pain" = work with a doctor and physical therapist to get into an exercise program that will minimize pain and risk and strengthen your core so you can do more and progress.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I struggle with back pain as well. I take things very slowly. A stronger core helps me reduce back flare-ups, but strengthening the back and core can cause back issues. No exercise was a disaster for my back. I now listen to my body and stop if I'm in any pain (not sore, but painful back tweaky pain). I also found a stationary bike to be easier than jogging on my back. I recently added in rowing. Be careful! Study technique videos and start with only 1-2 min a day. I'm up to 12 min a day after a month using my rower.
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    I hurt my back and wore a corset which helped immensely and allowed me to walk my miles.... see if there is a waist cincher or other thing that might provide you some support so that you can exercise. Check with your doctor about it.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    I used to be 80 pounds heavier. I had arthritis in both knees. I also had 3 surgeries that keep me from lifting heavy ever again. I can't do more than 1/2 squats or lunges. BTW - I lost the weight in 18 months.

Now...

I cycle, swim, & run. In fact this combo of exercises has kept the bad knees at bay and I am currently training for my first sprint triathlon.

The moral of the story (for me anyway) is even though abilities were taken away from me by the surgeries and arthritis...I found other things that I could do. It took a while though to find a routine that kept my interest and training for the Sprint-Tri has kept me focused.

• BoaOrHat
    BoaOrHat Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2017
    omg YES. I used to work out daily, including 3 days of heavy weights, and 3 days of running, with long hikes thrown in there. Well, a few years ago I started getting hip pain and sciatica and it has all gone downhill after that... Finally diagnosed last year with osteoarthritis in my hip, knee, lower back, and neck. Also have something called myofascial pain syndrome. So, fast forward 4 years from the original pain... I can't work out at all - even *kitten***g elliptical machines make my hip hurt severely. Doc and PT both said I can't go back to my old routines. This seriously sucks. I have put on 50 pounds since the onset of everything... Of course my metabolism sucks now but the main reason for the weight gain is that I am an emotional eater, and this situation is so depressing. My stress management and identity used to be partly based on my gym-going and exercising. And now, I can't do squat (literally, ha!). I DO swim 3 times a week, and do yoga 2 times a week... But man I miss the feeling of strenuous exercise.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Yep, I have arthritis in my left knee and the ACL in that knee is only attached on one end so I just grin and bear it through the pain because I have no other option. Mostly I do walking and beginners or old folks yoga. Swimming is OK but I want to be at goal before I dare stick my fat butt in a swimsuit.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Yep. I have spinal stenosis and DISH, which is a stiffness in the neck. Lot of trial and error, can't walk very far but mtn. Biking is my main form of exercise. If u want, you can add me and I can give u more detail. Sounds like our situations are very similar.
  • Mindiqualls
    Mindiqualls Posts: 20 Member
    I have fibromyalgia...I am always in pain. I swim a lot, and walk. Anyone can feel free to add me
  • Fraggle2904
    Fraggle2904 Posts: 4 Member
    It's hard to stay motivated when pain is a part of life.
    Loved exercising daily which was great when I wanted to loose weight post baby.
    However not long after hitting goal weight I severely herniated disc lower back requiring urgent surgery.
    Rehab was hard and took away the enjoyment of exercise because I couldnt exercise like I normally would.
    Found that working with a physio really helped me get back on track.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Yup, chronic pain due to stenosis, scoliosis and compressed disk. Used to get spinals, started with a trainer knowledgeable in severe injuries, learned to listen to my body and adjust activities. Definitely consult with a dr to see what's "safe" for your condition. What helps me a lot is floor pelvic tilts and other stretching, walking at a slow pace and elliptical. I don't take anything prescription for pain, but at night valerian and during day natural anti-inflammatory bromelain and curcumin and apply lots of biofreeze.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Achilles tendonosis, no cartilage in the large joint of one big toe, knees that can hurt, adductor issues, hip stiffness and soreness. 4 years ago I couldn't walk across the living room without excruciating pain. And I have a long history of back issues front one end to the other.

Today I run. I hurt less while running. I worked my way through professionals until I found the right podiatrist, PT, sports massage therapist, sports chiropractor (emphasizing soft tissue manipulation.).

Gather your team of professionals. Get your program from them that emphasizes your strengths and supports your weaknesses. Be safe and be well
  • LifeasCham
    LifeasCham Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks everyone for sharing. Dealing with chronic pain is difficult.

I have similar back pain issues- Degenerative disk disease, and suffered two significant flareups due to herniated disks and sciatica during the past year. I have been managing my back pain for years, but It has been a particularly rough year.

My ability to exercise consistently fluctuates due to pain. It seems that I cannot stop piling on the pounds. I am used to kicking my body into high gear with high intensity exercises to drop lbs fast. However, my methods have to change as my body cannot handle strenuous activities with a lot of jumping, running on pavement, quick body twists, etc. It has been depressing - my body will mot do what I want it to do! But I realize that I need to adjust. Consistency is key, and I have been working incorporating yoga, pilates and cardio and hope to be able to do more strength training under the guidance of my PT. I need to build my core. I also plan to take swimming lessons for another low impact exercise option (yes, I am an adult who cannot swim - but it i never too late!)

Finally, I realize that a big part of my success in losing the weight I have piled on is my diet. This is the hardest part for me! I am open to hearing any tips anyone has for success in this area.
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Awwe, I feel your pain. I had a significant sciatica flare-up last month as well, and still suffering. It's terrible!! Found out I have bulging discs at L4-5 and L5-S1 with narrowing, along with Grade 1 Spondylolistesis. Combine all that with bad knee and Hypothyroidism. I've gained back all 40lbs of the weight I had struggled to lose, with intense Zumba classes and of course, diet. I can't just cut calories, I have to literally work my bum off, and now I'm sidelined and this really sucks! I can't even go shopping in fear that I'll be stopped in my tracks with pain. It's quite depressing...:( I love Zumba, and was just getting into the "Strong Zumba" when the pain hit me. It's the only thing that really helped me lose weight... What they say is true, everything goes downhill once you turn 50! Lol! So, I'm thinking of trying the pool as well. Any tips helpful. Wishing you all well.
  • deemidd
    deemidd Posts: 8 Member
    I have chronic pain due to arthritis and tried a HIIT program, wow, what a big mistake! I feel worse than ever, I tried to modify some of the exercises halfway through the program but the damage was already done. That being said, I'm looking for new alternative workouts as well.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    LifeasCham wrote: »
    Finally, I realize that a big part of my success in losing the weight I have piled on is my diet. This is the hardest part for me! I am open to hearing any tips anyone has for success in this area.

Track everything. Sometimes you can be surprised by just how many calories you're taking in a day even eating 'good' stuff. Example: I used to have an entire bagel at breakfast thinking I was doing good by that, and just piling on the cream cheese and pairing with a couple of fruits. Little did I realize that 1 bagel = 4 slices of bread. My portions were all out of whack with every meal.