Squat help

Options
So I have broken my plateau for squatting! 4x15 at 60 lbs! Huge deal for me. But now I really notice my weight is not in my heels. I squat really low, boody out first, follow all the best resources for proper form... but I have been a dancer all my life and I tiptoe even when I walk around the house (though not in real life out in public). But I notice I just dance/ walk/prance and now I really see that when I squat I am pressing in my toes and not my heels. Someone previously suggested that my ankles may not have normal flexibility due to dance (which totally makes sense) so my question is should I squat more shallow to keep my heels down or keep up what I am doing g at this point?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You should post a video and make sure you're not wearing running shoes/sneakers.
  • mtek94
    mtek94 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Curl your toes or try front squats if you have high ankle mobility, always go parrallel or lower when performaing proper squat.. keep knees out
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    So I have broken my plateau for squatting! 4x15 at 60 lbs! Huge deal for me. But now I really notice my weight is not in my heels. I squat really low, boody out first, follow all the best resources for proper form... but I have been a dancer all my life and I tiptoe even when I walk around the house (though not in real life out in public). But I notice I just dance/ walk/prance and now I really see that when I squat I am pressing in my toes and not my heels. Someone previously suggested that my ankles may not have normal flexibility due to dance (which totally makes sense) so my question is should I squat more shallow to keep my heels down or keep up what I am doing g at this point?

I feel you here. Tight achilles/plantar fascii here (and someone who dances regularly). It IS way easier to squat in tango stilletos. I find I have to use a wider stance and point my feet out more in order to squat flat-footed. I know some people opt to squat in weightlifting shoes (these have a bit of a heel) or put their heels on a plate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »

are you squatting in regular work out shoes like cross trainers?

If yes, you may want to try squatting barefoot or get a good pair of squatting shows that are flat like chuck taylors or Adidas power lifters...
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I also have the habit of tip-toeing (without realizing it) if I'm shoe-less. (someone pointed it out to me at a holiday gettogether once at someone's house).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You could also try going wider stance which should help you ground your heels.

Or do face the wall squats...
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I do squat barefoot and I do have a wider stance than what I see in the vids, but I'll try the toes pointing out thing. Using plates under my heels sounds like a great idea, too. Thanks for the tips! And, I just looked up wall squats...gonna get on those tomorrow!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the previous comments. So sorry if this was mentioned already.
    Try a wide stand, toes and knees out.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Also look into box squats and squats with versa loop bands around the top of your knees.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NyurfaXwJcw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6zIQA5pGRKg