Gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Hey!! I am a little new to this and would love to make new friends and have helpful tips!! So I am in the position where I definitely want to gain muscle, but I still have a little bit of stubborn fat in places, but not too bad...is there a way to gain muscle while losing fat? I count my macros and would a lower carb intake help say 30/25/45 upping the protein? Thank you so much!! :)

Replies

• HayleeRenaeFit
    HayleeRenaeFit Posts: 43 Member
    Thank you @AnvilHead for the helpful info!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Hey!! I am a little new to this and would love to make new friends and have helpful tips!! So I am in the position where I definitely want to gain muscle, but I still have a little bit of stubborn fat in places, but not too bad...is there a way to gain muscle while losing fat? I count my macros and would a lower carb intake help say 30/25/45 upping the protein? Thank you so much!! :)

What are your calories and stats. You probably don't need 45% protein. Also, carbs are beneficial as they are anticatabolic and prevent protein breakdown.

But you also want a solid progressive overload lifting program.
  • HayleeRenaeFit
    Thank you! I am 5 foot 5 and weigh about 119.8 I have been eating around 1800/1900 calories a day.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I think you're on the right track calorie wise but as the other poster said I'd add in more carbs - at least on lifting days. Carb cycling works well for me when I'm trying to gain muscle. Right now I am just finishing up a cut but I've done a recomp before (low level over a year) and it is vvveeerrryyyy slow going, but it works.
  • HayleeRenaeFit
    Okay thank you so much!!! @kdiamond
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Thank you! I am 5 foot 5 and weigh about 119.8 I have been eating around 1800/1900 calories a day.

You'd only need 100 to 120g of protein a day.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    I'd structure my macro plan by aiming to get 1.0 g protein/lb bw, 0.3-0.4 g fat/ lb bw and fill in the rest of your calories with carbs. If you want to lose fat and gain muscle, obviously follow a progressive lifting program and follow the re-comp guide someone posted above.
  • HayleeRenaeFit
    Thank you!! I think that is what I am going to do :)