Pros and cons of gloves for weight training?

Maybe I'm just a nerd but I kind of feel like my callouses are a badge of honor from my weightlifting. I've only been doing it consistently for about two and a half months. Any reason I should seriously consider investing in gloves or is it just preference?

Replies

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    I ditched the gloves when I started prep work for my first powerlifting meet and haven't gone back to them since. It's much easier to lift with no gloves
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    I've lifted weights for almost 15 years and never wore gloves once. I don't see the need for them for just regular fitness/exercising type weight lifting. Maybe for more serious lifting if you were competing or something like that. For the regular person in the gym a few times a week, not really necessary.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    I've lifted weights for almost 15 years and never wore gloves once. I don't see the need for them for just regular fitness/exercising type weight lifting. Maybe for more serious lifting if you were competing or something like that. For the regular person in the gym a few times a week, not really necessary.

Actually for competing you should not be lifting with gloves.

In that case, I don't see a need to ever wear gloves then.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2017
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    57lpdnk8okqi.jpg

Hahahaha!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I've not found that gloves help me with grip. If I do want something for that I use straps/versa grips.
    With proper hand care callouses aren't much of a problem.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Gloves screwed up my grip on deadlift. Chalk is better.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I never uses gloves until today for my deadlifts. I had a much "stronger" grip.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    gloves actually make my grip worse....
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gloves actually make my grip worse....

I kind of liked it today. But I will have to try it again.