Pros and cons of gloves for weight training?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gloves actually make my grip worse....

I kind of liked it today. But I will have to try it again.

I tried them on deadlifts and I could not get a good grip on the bar...maybe it was just me...
  • Melissa_Leanne86
    Melissa_Leanne86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to wear gloves, but after my 3rd pair ripped, I gave up and just went to using my bare hands. Now I've got two layers of calluses :p

But happysherri does make a good point about picking at calluses. I used to be terrible when it came to that...
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ^ Again, proper hand care and you won't be able to pick at calluses...
    Mine are smoother than a baby's butt most of the time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    moisturizing is super important- especially as you start using chalk more frequently- I used to only chalk up for paused deads- and deadlifts over 85%.

Now I chalk up for *kitten* everything- bench, squat and deads above like 70%.

team chalk all the way.
  • monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I guess it's preference. I'm not a big lifter but when I do lift, I wear gloves for the grip and to prevent callouses on my hands.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I prefer gloves as they improve my grip - hopefully I don't need callouses for people to know I lift....

Just a personal preference unless you are competing.

Haha. Fair point. I guess the muscle should speak for itself.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I'm considering getting gloves ever since I caught a dude at the gym scratching his crack and then grabbing the bar...

I do try to wipe down equipment before and after but the surface pattern on db's and bb's and some of the grip material on some of the equipment makes the effectiveness of wiping seem a bit dubious. lol

Oh, man! Nasty!! Haha.
    I never wipe stuff down beforehand...but I do try to wash my hands after for sure.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    moisturizing is super important- especially as you start using chalk more frequently- I used to only chalk up for paused deads- and deadlifts over 85%.

team chalk all the way.

We don't have chalk at our gym and we aren't​ allowed to bring our own. Not that I would remember to bring them, same with gloves though.

I got into weights for the simplicity so I choose to go without any gloves, straps, wraps, belts, etc. But basically every time I deadlift I vow to buy some.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves i do not want callouses. They look great with my perfectly manicured nails. :)
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Amys712 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a nerd but I kind of feel like my callouses are a badge of honor from my weightlifting. I've only been doing it consistently for about two and a half months. Any reason I should seriously consider investing in gloves or is it just preference?

Pros of not wearing gloves is that your more like Dwayne 'the rock Johnson and that's enough pro for me
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves, because I want my grip and skin to be tough. I do use tape on my palms if I am doing a lot of pull-ups. Ripping takes forever to heal.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have tried to wear gloves because sometimes the bar grip is sharp feeling, but no matter how well the gloves seem to fit, they always bunch up and mess with my grip or hurt my hands. Plus, they make my hands super hot. So, I don't wear them. I lift 4 to 6 times per week and don't have calluses, but my max is still pretty low.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

team chalk all the way.

We don't have chalk at our gym and we aren't​ allowed to bring our own. Not that I would remember to bring them, same with gloves though.

I got into weights for the simplicity so I choose to go without any gloves, straps, wraps, belts, etc. But basically every time I deadlift I vow to buy some.

If you put the bar more in your fingers instead of higher into your palm the bar will start in the spot it will move to anyway and it won't scrape up your hands. A quarter-inch makes a difference ;)
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I too wear and like gloves these days. They help with my grip. I have busted up knuckles and hands from street fighting when younger and can no longer close my hands fully.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I wore gloves at first when I first start 35+ years ago. That didn't last long. My grip was much worse than barehand.

Powerlifter now, my hands don't callus from lifting because I use chalk. Even then, I'm not one to worry about having smooth hands.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I started wearing gloves, as I develop callouses fairly easily.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like gloves as I find the pinching annoying without them. I don't need callouses to feel badass.
  • nooneyuk88
    nooneyuk88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just got married and have fat knuckles so I'm now wearing gloves because I just can't get the damn thing off.

If I come home saying I've scratch the ring to hell on deads I would have genuine concern for my safety