Trying to bulk and get lean

Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm new to nutrition, I've always been an active person but never ate the right foods. Right now I'm 5'10 about 145-150 pounds and I'm aiming to gain muscle mass without any fat. I put myself on a 3000 calorie diet while working out around 3-5 times a week. I split the macros 40/40/20 the 20 being fat. Is this a good route to go because like I said I am new to the whole nutritional aspect of things. I don't want any unnecessary fat and I'm just trying to look the best I can possibly look with no certain weight goal. I want to look bigger but also want to look as cut as possible am I going in the right direction? Any feedback is appreciated thanks!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    It's not possible to gain muscle without gaining any fat. At best, you're looking at a 1:1 ratio of fat to muscle when bulking. If you're determined to minimize fat gain, your best bet is a recomp (eating at/around maintenance calories while on a well-designed strength training routine). It's possible to lose fat and gain muscle, but the process will be much more gradual (read that as "much slower") than running bulk/cut cycles.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    dwall35456 wrote: »
    Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm new to nutrition, I've always been an active person but never ate the right foods. Right now I'm 5'10 about 145-150 pounds and I'm aiming to gain muscle mass without any fat. I put myself on a 3000 calorie diet while working out around 3-5 times a week. I split the macros 40/40/20 the 20 being fat. Is this a good route to go because like I said I am new to the whole nutritional aspect of things. I don't want any unnecessary fat and I'm just trying to look the best I can possibly look with no certain weight goal. I want to look bigger but also want to look as cut as possible am I going in the right direction? Any feedback is appreciated thanks!

That is a ridiculous amount of protein, which you only need about half of that. If anything, you can stick with the stand MFP macros and they will put you in a good range. Also, you have to understand that it can take some time to dial in diet which will effect results. So if you want, spend some time figuring out your actual maintenance calories before you start the process of bulking. Get on a solid progressive overload lifting program (do not make one up), and ensure you have good form. Once you get diet and training down, then consider if you want to bulk or just keep the path you are doing.
  • scunny2017
    scunny2017 Posts: 1 Member
    I use this method to bulking (nearly 30lb clean bulk in 6 months) 1g ov protein per lb ov bodyweight then x 18 to get ur calorie total u sud be aiming 2700 so ur not far off. Good luck with ur journey and weight urself every few weeks and adjust as ur gain weight
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    scunny2017 wrote: »
    I use this method to bulking (nearly 30lb clean bulk in 6 months) 1g ov protein per lb ov bodyweight then x 18 to get ur calorie total u sud be aiming 2700 so ur not far off. Good luck with ur journey and weight urself every few weeks and adjust as ur gain weight

30lbs in 6 months is not a clean bulk by any definition. You'll have gained a lot of fat (even if you're not natural).
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Embrace the fat gain! You must if you want some legit results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Bulking and getting lean are polar opposite objectives. In a surplus, you are going to put on some fat.