Soup recipes

Options
sherrilb78
sherrilb78 Posts: 6 Member
I had a little trouble with food, but soups have been good to me so I was wondering if anyone had soup recipes to share. The canned ones have to much sodium and I don't want that.

Thanks!

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Pretty much just throw some beans and whatever vegetables and meat bits you have lying around into slowcooker/stovetop pot/instant pot. You really can't mess up on soup.

You can add some bouillion if you want more flavor (but not necessary).

examples:

(I was low on veggies when making this one):
    jga9l88ayv1n.jpg

dv79o7oy3jn3.jpg

omcxaogmzs27.jpg
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Note: I usually make them a bit lighter on meat, and then add a handful before eating depending on remaining calories and how much more protein I need to get in.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Pepper Soup

1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's is too sweet (IMO). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. A red & green pepper combo is yummy.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Julia Child's potato-leek soup. The essence of classic French cuisine. It is AWESOME and so easy to make--basically 3 ingredients (potatoes, leeks, cream) plus water and salt (it calls for some herbs to top it, but I just top with some chopped or sliced leeks).

http://www.food.com/recipe/potage-parmentier-potato-leek-soup-julia-child-270731
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ham and Beans:

Smoked ham hocks (1 pound)
    Navy beans (1 bag)
    (chopped onion if you want)
    Water (to cover)
    (seasonings: white pepper, cumin, paprika, or whatever you think might taste good)

The amounts depend on how much soup you want and the size of your slow cooker. Soak the beans over night (in the slow cooker) and drain (rinsing is also good, check for any pebbles or bad beans). Add the ham hocks and water to cover. Cook on low for the whole day (however long you are away from the house). Remove the ham bones, stir, taste (sometimes add pepper, but almost never salt), and serve. Delicious with corn bread. You can put some greens (spinach, kale, collard) in there at the end, or serve it over greens, if you need them. Note: ham hocks can be very salty (they vary quite a bit) and it may be that you don't want to use very many, if this is the case, add some regular ham into to increase protein.

Beef Vegetable soup:

Ground beef (1 pound)
    chopped cabbage (1 small-medium head)
    chopped onion (1/2 bulb)
    chopped potatoes (2-3 idaho)
    chopped carrots (1-2 large)
    beef bullion (1-2 tbsp better than bullion)
    1-2 cans low sodium V8
    Chili powder - some at the beginning (1 TBSP) and then to taste at the end
    salt and pepper to taste

Again, the amount depend on how much soup you want to make (and the size of your slow cooker) and how much you like each ingredient. I prefer less onion and carrot and more cabbage and potato. You can also use stew meat instead of ground beef. It is best to try to make the vegetables bite sized or smaller. Put everything in the crock pot, top with water until it is all covered, cook on low for 8-10 hours. I am usually lazy and just turn my slow cooker to "keep warm" and leave whats left in there until we have eaten all of it.

I also like this recipe. But I haven't tried making in the slow cooker, yet.

Either of these can be made on the stove as well, they just take a bit more attention.
  • sherrilb78
    Options
    Thank you everyone! They all sound good
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I've made a ton of soups from skinnytaste and really enjoy them http://www.skinnytaste.com/?s=soup&submit=%EF%80%82
  • sherrilb78
    Options
    Thanks for the link. They will be added to my shopping list for sure
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Cabbage and Keilbasa soup

Ingredients:
    2 cans petite diced tomatoes
    1 onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    3 medium/large carrots, sliced
    2/3 of a medium-sized head of cabbage, roughly chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    20 oz smoked sausage - I'll also sub in canned chicken breast - sometimes I'll do half and half
    1 envelope onion mushroom (or beefy onion) soup mix (optional)
    4 tsp chicken stock base, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes (you could also use low sodium stock and reduce the water used here)
    Enough water to cover all the veggies and meat – about 8 cups give or take

Seasonings:
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Basil to taste – about 1 tbsp
    Oregano to taste – about 1 tbsp
    Garlic powder to taste – 2-3 tsp

Directions:
    Chop up your veggies. Add them to a pot with all ingredients except the meat. Bring to boil, then stir. Reduce to a simmer for 30-45 minutes, until veggies are tender. Add meat and simmer another 10-15 minutes. Done!

This makes a big batch of 14 - 2cup servings for under 200 calories a pop. Lots of fiber and protein! I've also been known to throw in whatever veggie needs to be used sitting in the fridge, or the dregs of frozen vegetable bags, like cauliflower or zucchini.
  • rustychord
    rustychord Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Manahawkin Clam Chowda

3pqfsswok24v.jpg

I typically make it up as I go so im guesstimating the measurements.

6 littleneck or cherry stone clams
    1 14.5 oz can chicken stock (if you can get clam juice do that!)
    1 cup each diced carrots, celery, onion
    1 ear of corn, kernels removed
    1 Roma tomato deseeded and diced
    2 slices bacon chopped
    1 medium potato skinned and diced
    3 Bay leaf
    2T tomato paste
    6 sprigs fresh thyme
    Old bay seasoning

Ok boil a quart of water in a pot and add the potato. Boil for 10 min

While biking the potato, in a sauce pan add the bacon and fry until it starts to crisp
    Add the mirepoix and Bay leaves. Cook until onions start to turn tender.
    Add tomato paste and stir in throughly.
    Add tomato and corn, stir,
    Add the can of stock and the potatoes.
    Bring to boil then simmer for 20 min
    Add old bay and thyme leaves from 4 sprigs.
    Add clams and bring to a boil again. Boil until clams pop open slightly...then open them more with a fork. ( if you cook them until they pop wide open they will be chewy...you want them supple)

Use tongs to remove the clams to the serving bowl. Ladle the chowder on top of the clams. Garnish with the leaves of the other 2 sprigs of time.

If the clams are done properly they can easily be removed with a spoon and also easy to cut with a spoon against the side of the bowl.

Enjoy!!!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    This one is popular with my whole family:

Pasta Fagioli Soup

Ingredients
    2 cans diced tomatoes (do NOT drain)
    2 cans (1¾ cups) great Northern beans, drained & rinsed
    1 can chopped spinach, drained
    3 cans (4 ½ cups) vegetable broth
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    4 cups water
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 pound small whole wheat pasta (ditalini or other pasta broken into small pieces)

Directions
    1. In a large stock pot, combine all ingredients except pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 40 minutes, covered.

2. Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is tender, approximately 10 minutes.

Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 150
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I love Cauliflower soup

And broccoli and blue cheese

And pumpkin - I roast the pumpkin first, it gives amazing flavour
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i'd say there are some good suggestions so far. i'd also say avoid canned ingredients. they have as much sodium as the soups you are trying to avoid. same with ham in any form. i'd say keep the ham as a flavoring agent, cook your beans from scratch, get ls or no salt added tomatoes in a can or just use fresh. well made soups can be an amazing thing. do the julia child soup above. soups are often the bar by which the rest of a kitchen is measured.
    i use the following sites for inspiration often. i tossed in beyond the plate because it's a stunning site. chocolate and zucchini is also a great site for real world ideas.

epicurious
    saveur
    foodandwine soup

chocolateandzucchini
    beyondtheplate/archives/recipes/