Finding The Perfect Weight Loss Lunch

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Put some turkey on it to make it a club and then it would be perfect. By itself though? That's not enough for me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    People on 300 calories for lunch. I hope you're just saving calories for dinner because personally I'd still be famished!
  • lgill1127
    lgill1127 Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2017
    My go-to is dinner leftovers, but when I don't have any leftovers I typically have:

1) Prepped at home wrap and side salad:
    -70 cal high fiber low carb tortilla
    -1.5 or 2 oz deli turkey
    -various toppings depending on my mood.
    +BBQ themed with raw red onion, 2 tbsp low fat mozzarella cheese, 0.5 oz raw spinach, and 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
    +Mediterranean themed with 1 oz reduced fat feta, 0.5 oz raw spinach, cucumber, red onion, and 1 tbsp eggplant hummus
    +French-esque with 1 tbsp goat cheese, cucumber, 0.5 oz raw spinach, and 1 tsp whole-grain mustard
    +American-sandwich themed with 2 tbsp reduced fat cheddar or 30g avocado, shredded romaine lettuce, and either 1 tbsp fat free mayo+1tsp dijon OR mix the avocado with 1 tsp sriracha.
    - a side salad of 1 oz raw spinach, cucumber, carrots, and bell pepper with 1 tbsp Italian or Miso dressing. Sometimes I'll add feta cheese if there was none added to the wrap (but not to the Miso-dressed salad :neutral: ).

OR

2) Whole Foods salad bar (typically under $6)
    -small size paper box filled with
    +1.5 cups romaine lettuce
    +2 oz canned tuna
    +1 oz pickled onion (if available) or 1 oz yellow beets
    +1/4 cup raw broccoli florets
    +1/3 cup marinated white beans
    +1 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
    +1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    +1 tsp Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
    -sometimes I'll add a little package (70cal) of Rustic Bakery crackers if I'm feeling peckish.

I try to keep it at 250-350cal on average. Also - that BLT looks so tasty!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I generally have a 400-500 calorie lunch. 250 calories would not be enough.

I typically have a sandwich, salad or dinner leftovers for lunches. Today is beans and rice with a salad.
    At a burger place a regular burger, side salad with vinaigrette dressing and an unsweetened iced tea fits my lunch calorie goal just fine.
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I have nothing against your sandwich (even though I hate tomatoes). But I have a big problem with your wording.

This.

Also-subtle advertising is not so subtle here.

As noted by these guys the OP is basically unsolicited spam to point to his aforementioned article elsewhere online. That's why it's so cringefully worded.
  • lgill1127
    lgill1127 Posts: 47 Member
    People on 300 calories for lunch. I hope you're just saving calories for dinner because personally I'd still be famished!

Not always the case with having a higher-cal dinner- I'm a snacker so I save some cals for little snacks throughout the day :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    I don't have just one lunch that I always eat (I like more variety with lunch than breakfast and I have more than one breakfast), but one I often have is salad with some kind of protein. Also leftovers from dinner. Quite varied--I don't really get the idea of a "perfect" weight loss lunch--and usually around 450 calories, although at maintenance 600 or so would be reasonable. I also prefer to have 30+ grams of protein, although I don't always, and a good amount of vegetables, so the BLT wouldn't work for me on either of those scores.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Chicken here. Always *kitten* chicken

Haha this is me too lately. I think I am going to turn into one soon *coughs up feathers* :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've been obsessed with poke on greens when I forget to bring my lunch. (I'm sure I'll move on, I tend to get obsessed for a while.)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What is the breakdown of the calorie content of your BLT?. In my head I would allow:
    bread 200
    bacon 100-200
    mayo 100
    cheese 100 (not sure you had cheese)
    Easily 400-500 cals and I would still be hungry. Glad it works for you! Yum!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Haha this is me too lately. I think I am going to turn into one soon *coughs up feathers* :D

Yep. Chicken and two boiled eggs. I don't remember which came first, chicken or the eggs. I cook everything on Sunday and prep it for the week.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yep. Chicken and two boiled eggs. I don't remember which came first, chicken or the eggs. I cook everything on Sunday and prep it for the week.

I had to stop eating eggs lately i found out they were the culprit to alot of ...digestive trauma and bloating. Im so sad they were my go to for healthy fats for my day XD Hard to fill in those calories in a similar macro way. Ill miss you eggs :'(
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    My lunch was perfect. Homemade tomato pie and it clocks in at 500 calories. I'll be good until dinner.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member

Dinner with dessert is definitely my biggest meal, but I've already eaten at 4 other times before I get there. Post workout shake, breakfast a few hours later, lunch a few hours later, and an afternoon snack a few hours later. I'm a grazer during the week, but generally have 2-3 larger meals on the weekends when I start my day much later.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    My lunch was perfect. Homemade tomato pie and it clocks in at 500 calories. I'll be good until dinner.

Tomato pie sounds awesome! Do you have a recipe you could share?
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    One can of tuna, one tbs olive oil mayo, slice of pepperjack cheese all on great seed bread and a side of 2 cuties. 450 calories. yum yum