Finding The Perfect Weight Loss Lunch

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Leftovers - ranges from about 250 - 350 calories (depending on what and how much I have), provides variety and requires no extra work.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    rkmomm wrote: »
    My lunch was perfect. Homemade tomato pie and it clocks in at 500 calories. I'll be good until dinner.

Tomato pie sounds awesome! Do you have a recipe you could share?

http://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/tomato-pie/
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    My lunch is black beans and rice. I've had it at least five times a week for about three months now, and I'm not even close to tired of it. Current recipe is 348 calories for a serving. Filling and delicious. Also inexpensive as heck.
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    WilliamAndersonLMHC Posts: 117 Member
    edited May 2017
    Is that mayo? Did you weigh it? Because looks a heck of a lot more than would bring this in at 250. Would be interested in the breakdown (I'll let you off on the lettuce and tomato).
    It's Hellman's Low Fat Mayo, 2 TBS, and I squished it over the edge of the bread for a dramatic flair. From my article: "My BLT shown above is only 250 calories. I make a great ham and cheese sandwich at only 270. How can that be, you say, with all that bread, mayo and bacon or ham and cheese? Easy. I use Publix reduced calorie bread at 40 calories a slice and Hellman’s low-fat mayo at 15 calories a tablespoon. Three slices of bacon is only 105 calories and ham is only 30 calories a slice. Those sandwiches look decadent and the gossips badmouth them, but they are a great deal for lunch." I am scrupulous in my accounting. If that got your attention you'll love this 1000 calorie spread!v01xgrvusz6c.jpg

• WilliamAndersonLMHC
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Is that mayo? Did you weigh it? Because looks a heck of a lot more than would bring this in at 250. Would be interested in the breakdown (I'll let you off on the lettuce and tomato).

I agree - is it light mayo? What kind of bread? For me a 250 cal BLT would not be the perfect lunch for weight loss, first because a good BLT is probably more like 450 cals and second because 250 cals is no where near enough lunch for me!

There is no "perfect" lunch for weight loss. It depends what I ate/if I ate breakfast, what I have planned for dinner, what I feel like eating, whether I'm working out today or not.

I kind of want a Whopper now...

Take a look at my comment above.
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    edited May 2017
    Yes, a Whopper Jr. is a good deal at 320 too.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Yeah, that sandwich would keep me full for about an hour or two. I'd rather eat a whopper jr. with a diet coke.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    lioness803 wrote: »
    I don't like lettuce or tomato, so definitely not perfect for me.
    I just had a portion of rotini, and a cucumber for a "perfect" lunch for my needs. (well, my first lunch, because my work schedule is stupid and I end up eating 2 lunches most days)

I eat two breakfasts :). I have neither the time nor the stomach space for a full breakfast before work in the morning, but need more than a 'snack' to make it all the way to lunch, so I have about 250 calories at 630ish and again around 930.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Staff Note: If you have concerns a post violates our community guidelines, please report it for our moderators to review. Please do not call people out on violations, this derails a discussion.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    My lunch is my biggest meal during the day on 500 calories. Breakfast and dinner are both almost 300. It's 200gr chicken, 200gr mixed vegetables, 25gr feta cheese and Thai red curry spices. Super delicious!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    OPs lunch would leave me hungry. I need a 250 calorie high volume lunch. 200 grams of lettuce at least with a lean protein and hot sauce. Lunch time during the week is fuel for me. I usually don't add cheese. Sometimes I just eat a bag of lettuce/veg mix with hot sauce and a diet coke...that said, I don't plan on being in a deficit for long so I'm just trying to get the job done and move on.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Salad, use hard boiled egg white for a good amount of low calorie protein, avocado for good fat, lots of crunchy veggies like zucchini and summer squash, low fat feta, craisins (you're adding some calories and sugar but they're soo good.) And a low cal dressing like mustard vinaigrette made from just mustard and extra vinegar to make it more dressing like. If you do it right you'll be asking can I possibly eat all that and not "where is my food?" You'll likely fulfill your body's need for vitamins and protein so you won't be starving an hour later.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Francl27 wrote: »

Guessing light mayo... So 150 calories of bread (those look like tiny slices), 10 calories of tomato and lettuce, maybe 40 calories of mayo (looks like more though, even for light mayo), 2 slices of bacon... 265 calories.

Not gonna lie though, I'd still be hungry if it's all I had for lunch.

It could be low calorie bread 70 calories total for the bread. Let's say 80 calories of bacon that's 150. then you can have 1 tbsp of mayo lol OR lots of light mayo...or a mix of both :smiley:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    That is one great-looking sammich! Love BLTs!

One that surprised me recently by coming out lower calorie than I expected was red beans with andouille sausage. This is my husband's favorite thing, so I wanted to find a way to make it work, even though I knew that it wasn't necessarily a diabetic-friendly meal. Normally I would have this over rice, but rice has been spiking my blood sugar, so I ignored the rice and added some purple sweet potatoes to it. I make it with a roux, which of course involves flour, and carb-heavy veggies including bell pepper, tomatoes, and onions. However it turned out to be less than 400 calories a serving, even with everything added! and my blood glucose stayed beautiful! I'd upload a picture, but honestly a photo of red beans and sausage looks a bit like dog food. Trust me though, it's delicious. Husband preferred it to the original.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    For me a Sainsbury's roast pork baguette no butter, about 450 cals, probably less, but I rather over guess than under, nice and filling

Literally, a baguette and some roast pork, that is all, unless you want some crackling as well
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    My lunch today was 1329 calories. It wasn't a whopper but it was burger king.

Yummy, fitted my weekly calories.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

Ok! I'm a hanging with youbqvvfn81bt3c.gif
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

Ok! I'm a hanging with youbqvvfn81bt3c.gif

I'll share fries ;)
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    My favourite lunch is usually a salad of some sort containing some combination of greens, tomato, onion, apple, carrots, mushrooms, berries and/or oranges, with poppyseed dressing and cottage cheese. Sometimes with chicken breast instead of cottage cheese. I generally keep it around 400-600 calories. Yes I measure everything, and really limit the dressing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    I don't have a perfect lunch.

Not a great fan of bacon slices so BLT sandwich not for me.

I would need more than one small sandwich for lunch too.

Sometimes I have a sandwich, piece of fruit and a yoghurt.