Protein shakes

Options
Hi, i am currently severly underweight for my height, and have been told to do absoloute no exercise. So if drink protein shakes without exercise will it store fat or will it help me gain a more healthy weight along with a good balanced diet or do i just not need them..

Any advice would be great, thanks

Replies

• roderickm40
    roderickm40 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Doing no exercise doesn't seem like solid advice. If anything cut cardio and start doing light weight training. Your protein shakes will work well with this. But a change in diet along with those protien shakes and some weight work is a great plan. I was a runner in my early 20's. I weighed 135 and very thin. Once i started folding in some weight training with a high protein diet the lean muscle started to show. Now in my late 40's im a better runner and look alot better.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just macronutrients and calories, just like every other food.

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    With the information you've given, it sounds like you need to gain some fat in order to get to a healthy weight. If you're severely underweight gaining fat is a good thing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are useful if you are having trouble reaching desired amount of protein in limited calories..so not so useful in your case (like who wouldn't rather get their protein from bacon if they also needed a lot more calories). ;P
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you find it difficult eating enough calories then protein shakes are very useful as it's far easier to drink a lot of calories than it is to physically eat them. I'd suggest getting a quality isolate protein powder in any flavour you fancy (relex microwhey is a good one), also purchase some fine ground oats, mix with almond milk and throw in some natural peanut butter and a banana. If you tolerate diary well you might get away with using cows milk and whey concentrate but I don't know many people who don't turn into a farty mess after it! Obviously you can adjust the amount of each ingredient you use to suit your goals. I you really want to ramp up the calories throw coconut milk in too...then it really tastes divine, especially with chocolate protein!
  • wacker1994
    wacker1994 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks i appreciate all of the advice! Helps a lot..
  • millertime1026
    millertime1026 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will actually benefit your weight gaining goals! All You need is a calorie surplus to gain weight! Cut out cardio from your workouts and add complex exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench presses and pull ups! That will help you gain mass in your entire body rather than in just certain spots! There are also many foods high in calories and fats other than protein shakes! Like avocados, almond, and many other fatty plant based products! Be careful eating foods that are high in saturated fats because these will not be good for your overall health!!!! Protein shakes are definitely a go to for me though they help me reach my protein goals for the day and they taste great!!
  • keonwlsn
    keonwlsn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with Miller time and could I ask what protein you are taking?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    wacker1994 wrote: »
    Hi, i am currently severly underweight for my height, and have been told to do absoloute no exercise. So if drink protein shakes without exercise will it store fat or will it help me gain a more healthy weight along with a good balanced diet or do i just not need them..

Any advice would be great, thanks

who told you: "no exercise" ?

It's good form to follow medical advice, and it's also acceptable to seek a 2nd opinion from a medical professional.

also... I drink a protein shake of 40 grams after training.

I'm not sure if the timing is so critical but I try to have it within 30 minutes of training.

best of luck