What low calorie foods that have replaced your old high calorie favorites?

abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I just found out about PBfit to replace my usual peanut butter (50 calories compared to the usual 190).

And I now use Ole Extreme High Fiber Tortillas instead of my usual wheat tortillas (50 calories each instead of the usual 100).

What are some of your new favorites?

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Corn tortilla's for white flour and Greek Yogurt for Sour cream
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Didn't really replace high calorie foods with low calorie foods...I stopped drinking 3-6 sodas per day. Over time I adopted a more whole foods approach (though I ate a lot before anyway as I've always been a good cook)...basically added more veggies and fruit as I was nowhere near the recommended amounts before. My biggest cut in calories was just getting rid of the soda though.

I still eat quite a few high calorie foods...I eat nuts almost every day...I eat avocado most every day...I eat peanut butter a couple times per week and have pizza night most Friday nights, etc.

I'm not particularly big on "diet" foods.
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    I just found out about PBfit to replace my usual peanut butter (50 calories compared to the usual 190).

And I now use Ole Extreme High Fiber Tortillas instead of my usual wheat tortillas (50 calories each instead of the usual 100).

What are some of your new favorites?

I just looked up the nutritional fact for PBfit, I'm surprised it has lower calories even though it has some sugar in it. Is it lighter/aerated? I wonder how they achieve the lesser calorie value.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Replaced pasta with shiritaki noodles
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    @abbynormalartist : I also use the Xtreme Wellness wraps -- they're AWESOME. Now try wrapping up some PBFit and sliced banana in one! :smiley:
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    @tunaboi : PBFit is pressed peanuts, so all of the oils are removed. You get the same flavor without the fat -- where a lot of the calories come from.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I switched to lower calorie bread and tortillas, but I've generally found that "substitutions" aren't nearly the same thing as the higher calorie version. Halo Top does not taste like regular ice cream. Cauliflower does not taste like mashed potatoes. Baked goods made with banana or applesauce taste like fruit. PB2 does not taste like peanut butter. You get the point. All of those things are sometimes good in their own way, but I absolutely do not think they're just as good as the "original."

The most helpful change I've made is cutting back dramatically on the oil I use in cooking. I bake, steam, or boil things instead of sauteeing or frying, and if I really need oil, I can usually get away with half or less of the amount the recipe calls for.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Grated zucchini in place of rice
    Coconut flour for reg flour
    Eggs in the morning in place of cereal/milk
  • healthyfitsamantha
    healthyfitsamantha Posts: 12 Member
    Regardless of the recipe I make, I love adding FlavorGod seasonings to give it a little extra flavor without adding massive extra calories. For instance, they have a Cheese Seasoning which allows me to have the flavor of cheese without adding a handful of cheese to my meal. There are so many others that I LOVE! Not even joking, my life has changed since I found them. If you're interested in trying them out, you can visit them using my link here (https://flavorgod.com/?coupon=SAMANTHA11AN) to save 10%! I hope you enjoy!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Diet soda for regular for the most part, although I still indulge in a Mountain Dew from time to time. Halo Top instead of full calorie ice cream and Fiber One brownies instead of full fat brownies. YUM
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Skinny Pop popcorn for salty snacks, Quaker Corn Squares cereal for sweet. I also snack on veggie dogs and string cheese, but I wouldn't say that they 'replace' anything, so much as 'I think I need something to tide me over. What's going to fit my calories and help me hit my protein?' Or iron, in the case of the veggie dogs.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    I eat both of those things and they are a favorite of mine! When it comes to noodles and rice it's zucchini noodles and cauliflower rice for me. I actually prefer them to the "normal" now. Granted, I still eat pasta but for the most part if I'm making spaghetti sauce, scampi, stir fry, or alfredo - I'm using zucchini noodles.
  • suzyloveskoalas
    suzyloveskoalas Posts: 20 Member
    Halo Top ice cream for regular ice cream...def my new favorite low cal replacement. Sweet potatos for rice, kodiak cakes for pancakes, egg whites for whole eggs, and milk for creamer. Oh yeah, and when baking I replace applesauce for oil, wheat flour for regular flour, and I use half the sugar.
  • AshFitness98
    AshFitness98 Posts: 28 Member
    357 cal instead of 1350 cal. I was getting a chicken panini from a chain restaurant a couple times a month and decided to make my own at home after seeing the calorie count (their new menus have the calories next to each item). Used 2 slices of wheat bread (140), grilled chicken (67), pepper jack cheese (80), and some ranch (70). I might add some red peppers to it next time. Tasted amazing and much better calorie wise.
  • heidicheslek
    heidicheslek Posts: 1 Member
    For me it has been getting back to quality of food. Organic grass fed range free. So my calories are more functional for my body. It has been amazing. I have lost 50 pounds in three months.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    cabbage with everything