Insta bodybuilder theme ?

Ok so bodybuilding is something i know nothing about hence my question which might seem a little dumb but I see a lot of bodybuilder accounts online always posting pictures of boxes of pizza or tubs and tubs of ice cream that they have demolished and eaten etc and I'm just wondering how this is added into bodybuilding ? My guess is that it is used for quick extra calories to gain? Like I said i have no idea about the topic and it's not something i would get into but I was so curious !

Replies

• strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Got it, and how does this not turn into fat over a period of time ? Or is it not a daily thing to eat large amounts of junk food for calorie increase
  • strawberrysnap
    Ohh I see, ok thank you !
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Calories.

Although a lot of the social media stuff is like a trendy pissing match with stuff like that.

A wise man you are. I hate the egotistical side of social media. Which sadly is 95% of it. Feeds full of fake and blown up egos. So sad
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited May 2017
    Got it, and how does this not turn into fat over a period of time ? Or is it not a daily thing to eat large amounts of junk food for calorie increase
    Same as losing weight it's about calories in and calories out. I'm not a body builder (yet B) ) but I do lift about 4-5 hours a week and my caloric intake since getting back into the gym has gone up significantly. I was maintaining at around 2000 but now I'm at 2400 on off days and as much as 3000 on lifting days. Someone who is bulking, trying to gain muscle through eating excess calories while lifting, needs to be sure and get enough protein to fuel the muscle growth but, so long as they hit that target and are lifting with intensity, they should see both muscle gains and some fat gains as well. If they fall significantly short of the protein goal, a huge part of their weight gain could well be fat instead of muscle.
  • strawberrysnap
    Ohhh I see, thank you for the help everyone !
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

progressive lifting + calorie surplus + micro/macro adherence = muscle gains along with fat gains..typical ratio is 1:1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    A lot of posturing and one man upping.
    I can promise you those people don't eat that s**t all the time.

There is a girl at my gym- she looks good- she does. And she lifts with no shirt.

She posts selfies post workout- and the difference between what I see in front of me at the gym is 100% different than what I see by the time I get home.

My friend and I were guessing she has an app. I'm not sure- but let me tell you- even the reality I see at my gym is not presented as the same reality on IG itself.

It's weird- and random- and totally a lie.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

There is a girl at my gym- she looks good- she does. And she lifts with no shirt.

She posts selfies post workout- and the difference between what I see in front of me at the gym is 100% different than what I see by the time I get home.

My friend and I were guessing she has an app. I'm not sure- but let me tell you- even the reality I see at my gym is not presented as the same reality on IG itself.

oh, the age that we live in ... :o
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Oh, you mean like those specific poses that make even the flattest of butts look big?
  • strawberrysnap
    Hahaha I see! Thank you guys !
  • JoRocka
    psuLemon wrote: »

Oh, you mean like those specific poses that make even the flattest of butts look big?

this specifically was abs. there is no doubt the girl is in good shape- but her abs looked unnaturally large/defined considering what I see in person.

Now- could be lighting- could be the posing and using filters/ saturation/brightness/contrast to make them pop even more- but the definition was pronounced compared to someone who does NOT have visible abs walking around.

I mean- I could be wrong- but eh. it's just not... what everything seems.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    My bf used to eat a lot of empty calories to get over 4500 but he's since trying to focus on getting a lot of potassium and I'm trying to feed him more nutrient dense calories now. I know it's pretty common to showcase how much pizza, pop tarts and chips you can eat and while I understand there are no bad foods, I'd rather have the insides of someone eating MOSTLY nutrient dense calories while still enjoying other things like the foods I just mentioned personally. Too many people take it too far imo.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2017

NM, iFail
  • JoRocka
    @nutmegoreo whats up?
  • nutmegoreo
    @nutmegoreo whats up?

I was just trying to post one of the failed photoshopped ab pics, but can't seem to do it from my phone. I usually post pics/gifs from my laptop, but didn't bring it with me.
  • JoRocka
    HA- I actually did that- I downloaded an app and added abs to myself and sent it to my cardio buddy as a joke.

#noshame
  • nutmegoreo
    HA- I actually did that- I downloaded an app and added abs to myself and sent it to my cardio buddy as a joke.

#noshame

:laugh: Love it!