How to make ground turkey... not taste like ground turkey?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I'm finding a lot of yummy looking recipies that call for ground turkey. I've used it a few times before (years ago) and it always came out like soggy cardboard. How can I make it better? Is it the fat content or cooking method? I was thinking of trying it in tacos, sloppy joes or chili.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I don't like it myself, so I don't use it. You don't have to either.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It works well in dishes that are heavily seasoned such as chili or with taco seasoning. Of course you can always just use lean ground beef instead.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. I use it mostly when I'm cutting and when I'm doing this...not everything needs to taste gourmet AF. I just put some 99% lean ground turkey in my salad with hot sauce. Taste the macros.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I think it's fine. I use it mostly when I'm cutting and when I'm doing this...not everything needs to taste gourmet AF. I just put some 99% lean ground turkey in my salad with hot sauce. Taste the macros.

For you. I ain't got time for stuff that tastes nasty AF.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Meh. I don't think it tastes nasty. I guess if I thought it did I wouldn't eat it. I enjoy my food but not every meal needs to be mouth watering.

Season your meat. If you don't like it, don't eat it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Meh. I don't think it tastes nasty. I guess if I thought it did I wouldn't eat it. I enjoy my food but not every meal needs to be mouth watering.

Meh... all my meals are mouth watering. *shrug *
  • L1zardQueen
    Options

Meh... all my meals are mouth watering. *shrug *

Every meal. Life's too short for crappy food!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried mixing it with ground beef? Just wondering...
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Problem may just be that I'm not a fan of ground beef either... straight up pork sausage is what I used for years but the hubby's cholesterol is freaky high and I'm trying to cut back on calories while keeping a nice volume of food. I may just need to look for completely different meals.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I use it for taco meat, chili, meatloaf, curry, etc.

I really like it. I do make sure it's very heavily seasoned and browned in a pan with a large surface area to assist with both flavor from browning and water evaporating so the meat is not boiling in its own water content. In the case of meatloaf I bake it in a 9"x13" pan, for the same reason.

Except in the case of curry, I dont find it necessary to add fat to achieve good flavor.

Go nuts with the seasonings, lol.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Use grass-fed beef.

That fixes the recipe.

There's no fixing ground turkey.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    First, make sure to brown it and get good color on it. If you cook until no longer pink and kinda gray it will not have flavor. My grand mother always said when browning ground beef or turkey to cook until all liquid was gone and it is brown and crispy.

Second be sure to season it well. Try Asian style turkey lettuce wraps. Lots of flavor. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/turkey-lettuce-wraps.html
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Seasoning it with cumin will help give it a heartier taste, if that's what you're after.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Wow. I don't think I eat crappy food. :( That was kind of a mean way to respond. Anyway, night all! Enjoy your dinners :)

@bbell1985 sorry, I meant no offense. <3
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Wow. I don't think I eat crappy food. :( That was kind of a mean way to respond. Anyway, night all! Enjoy your dinners :)

@bbell1985 sorry, I meant no offense. <3

It's okay. The way I wrote it may have ruffled feathers <3
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Mix it spaghetti sauce, lasagna, and tacos................. prepare 95% lean. Lean turkey breast is a no for me.