How to make ground turkey... not taste like ground turkey?

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    There is no way to make ground turkey not taste like ground turkey. There is no other ingredient or mixture of spices that could possibly cover that horrific taste and stench. I'd just substitute ground beef.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    If you cube chicken breast or thighs, put in freezer til firm but not frozen, and then toss in a food processor til minced/ground enough, works much much better and tastier! You can add seasoning while processing and maybe a drizzle of olive oil (or not) as well if you find the chicken breast is too dry. Thighs are usually fine. If you're putting in soup or something like that, oil won't be needed.

Guess you could do the same with turkey filets/boneless breasts if you have a source.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    edited May 2017
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I think it's fine. I use it mostly when I'm cutting and when I'm doing this...not everything needs to taste gourmet AF. I just put some 99% lean ground turkey in my salad with hot sauce. Taste the macros.

I'm with you. I guess it's just a personal taste thing like anything, but I really don't have a problem with ground turkey. It's not like my ultra super fave or anything, but I like it.

OP, I would think if you're putting the ground turkey in chili or using it for tacos if you're using taco seasoning you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. But if you really just dislike it I would just swap it for ground beef.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Has anyone tried mixing it with ground beef? Just wondering...

I to that all the time. I mix it half and half with 80% lean ground beef in chili and tacos. I still get plenty of beef flavor, and it's way cheaper than lean ground beef.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    I don't understand the hate either. I don't notice a huge difference from beef tastewise, but I pretty much only ever make chili or unstuffed cabbage roll soup. Occasionally, I'll mix with beef to make meatloaf or meatballs. I actually made turkey chili yesterday. It was delicious.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    I don't understand the hate either. I don't notice a huge difference from beef tastewise, but I pretty much only ever make chili or unstuffed cabbage roll soup. Occasionally, I'll mix with beef to make meatloaf or meatballs. I actually made turkey chili yesterday. It was delicious.

Not liking the taste of something is called a preference. Not hate. *shrug*
  • Chef_Barbell
    I think it's fine. I use it mostly when I'm cutting and when I'm doing this...not everything needs to taste gourmet AF. I just put some 99% lean ground turkey in my salad with hot sauce. Taste the macros.

For you. I ain't got time for stuff that tastes nasty AF.

Meh. I don't think it tastes nasty. I guess if I thought it did I wouldn't eat it. I enjoy my food but not every meal needs to be mouth watering.

Season your meat. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Meh... all my meals are mouth watering. *shrug *

Every meal. Life's too short for crappy food!

Agreed.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    I add garlic, lime, coriander, chopped fresh chilli, sea salt and pepper and form it into burgers. Tastes amazing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I've yet to have any of my group turkey recipes taste like cardboard. Must be the way you cooked it... sorry, lol.

I don't buy 99% though because it's just too dry for my taste.

I'm not sure why everyone assumed that the OP doesn't like the taste of ground turkey though.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I don't dislike it but I prefer ground chicken.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    If I'm using it in chili, tacos, meatballs or something like that my family doesn't mind it. My dd is kind of picky and is fine with ground turkey in these things. It is a little squishier than ground beef would be.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I occasionally like turkey burgers, but thats about all I enjoy it in. Otherwise just buy 95% lean ground beef.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    I don't like it myself, so I don't use it. You don't have to either.

I don't like it much, but I had some (got a mixed box from a farm and they included some -- not doing that again), so mixed it with onions and jalapenos to make a burger and then added cheese. I also used it in a chili (made it spicy and included beans). Both were pretty good, but I see no reason to use it instead of ground beef (or ground pork or lamb or bison, which I also like), normally.

I love turkey itself, but ground makes it so much less appealing, IMO. Plus, lean ground beef is quite low cal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm finding a lot of yummy looking recipies that call for ground turkey. I've used it a few times before (years ago) and it always came out like soggy cardboard. How can I make it better? Is it the fat content or cooking method? I was thinking of trying it in tacos, sloppy joes or chili.

I only use it with strong flavors.....like you mentioned above.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member

I dunno, coming into a thread asking for advice about a food only to call it 'nasty AF' seems pretty passionate. *Shrug*
  • Chef_Barbell

I dunno, coming into a thread asking for advice about a food only to call it 'nasty AF' seems pretty passionate. *Shrug*

If you read I didn't call it nasty AF. I said I don't have time for food that's nasty AF. Also calling something nasty is far from being passionate. But good try. :laugh:
  • diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    If you like onions I first will grill onions in tiny pieces until they are clear, then put in a bowl, then brown the turkey meat and season with Italian seasoning, then mix in with onions and eat with whatever, like rice or veg side. I also make this the same way with pasta sauce and put over broccoli and it's DEEEEELISH. If I am feeling extra indulgent I will put half of a sweet Italian sausage in with the whole package of turkey and it really adds a lot of flavor.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I often combine it with another ground meat- rabbit, bison, or beef. Also Make sure you pan cook it but don't overcook it- I find that's when it turn mushy. Good luck!
  • fitv1020
    fitv1020 Posts: 1 Member
    Mix bell peppers and onions when you fry it and add some Tony's seasoning! You can also smoother it in some barbecue sauce.