Circuit training or one by one exercise ?

I had been doing workouts in circuits I.e. finish one set of each exercise ( I'd usually do 12-13 exercises) without rest in between. Then take 2-3 minutes rest and start again. It took me 40-45 minutes to finish.
But now I start doing 4 sets of each exercise before moving on to next exercise. Rest between sets -30-45 seconds rest between exercise 60-90 seconds. Takes me around 50-60 minutes to finish 8-10 exercises.
Which method is better if my goal is to build muscle ?

Replies

• sir4taye
    sir4taye Posts: 2 Member
    I'm no authority, but in my experience I can get more volume with the rest. And since I've got a limited amount of energy and drive I want to focus on certain groupings of muscles in one workout. If I can lift a little heavier with rests I'll get more sufficient tear down and rebuilding in that group than if I was doing a little or less on lots of groups.
    I separate my workouts into 5 days. Back day, chest day, leg day, shoulder day, and arm day. Spending an hour to 90 minutes each day just doing those exercises that will build that days group allows me to get more mass built up from the time I spend. Recovery for that group also has more time to fully complete.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    I do circuit but I'm also doing light weights (dumbbells and body weight). If you're looking to gain heavier mass, I may suggest set style workouts with the bigger breaks. If you're just looking to have toned, nice muscles quickly then the circuits might work better for you. I personally like the less recovery time because I feel like I'm really using all of my muscle abilities to the fullest.

I hate how long sets take. I only do sets on my arm days (they need the most help). Otherwise I do circuit and keep everything under 45 minutes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Rest is what builds muscle. SO, if you're doing a variety of exercises then you're going to do better with the circuit.

All of that is irrelevant if what you're doing is 13 different isolation exercises. But if it's a proper circuit like Squats, Pushup variation 1, lunges, Crunch variation 1, Burpees, crunch variation 2, Pushup variation 2, Straddle hops, etc, then yeah..

So really, it all depends on what you're actually doing
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Circuit training is ok for general fitness. If your goal is to gain muscle, you want to have a program that is well structured, incorporates progressive overload, and focuses on the core lifts to maximize muscle recruitment (Squat, press, bench, deadlift).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also, if you aren't resting, you aren't lifting heavy enough and your are limiting the ability to lift heavier. Trust me, once you lift heavy, you will find you will need 2-3 minutes to do another set.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Circuits are very time efficient. You can get through your entire body in a short workout, building strength and endurance.

Sets of isolated-muscle lifts build strength and size. It helps to have coaching or a partner to keep you on track and it definitely takes more time.
  • chakug
    chakug Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks everyone for helpful replies.
    I do mainly compound exercises.
    Bench press
    Deadlift
    Bent over Rows
    Barbell squat
    Lateral raise
    Barbell curl
    Shoulder press
    I don't go to gym. I workout at home. I have 50 kg home gym set.
    My goal is to not get bigger but to build a little muscle ( skinny guy) before I cut again to get those abs.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    chakug wrote: »
    Bench press
    Deadlift
    Bent over Rows
    Barbell squat
    Lateral raise
    Barbell curl
    Shoulder press
    My goal is to not get bigger but to build a little muscle ( skinny guy) before I cut again to get those abs.

Without knowing how strong you are, It's a little hard to make recommendations, but with a light(50Kg) set, You might benefit from Complexes instead of circuits.

For example, Front squat/Shoulder press
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Bench press
    Deadlift
    Bent over Rows
    Barbell squat
    Lateral raise
    Barbell curl
    Shoulder press

What rep range are you in? What progression scheme? What frequency? Also, how much fitness knowledge do you have?

Because, if you are still relatively new, I'd go get on a good dumbbell routine (that is structured and based on progressive overload), such as Aworkoutroutine which is found in the above link.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited May 2017
    But now I start doing 4 sets of each exercise before moving on to next exercise. Rest between sets -30-45 seconds rest between exercise 60-90 seconds. Takes me around 50-60 minutes to finish 8-10 exercises.

You are still just doing circuits in a different way, which is good for developing cardio and muscular endurance but not strength and muscle growth per se.

Frankly, unless you weigh less than 50kg (110#), 50kg of weights is NOT enough to do strength training except perhaps when doing overhead presses (OHPs).

If strength/muscle growth is your objective, you will need a weight set at least 2x your current body weight because the MINIMAL strength goals for men is generally thought to be: 2xBW for DLs (deadlifts), 1.5xBW for SQTs (squats), 1. 25XBW for BPs (bench presses) and 0.75xBW for OHPs.

So, if you really want to develop strength and promote musclar growth, you probably need at least twice as much barbell weight to start.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    When I look at circuit training, I see and hear and desire to increase the burn, keep the heart rate up. But I think that tries to make resistance training something it's not. The focus should be on lifting the weight, period. Not creating a burn. And getting the most weights with the most reps (up to prescribed number on plan), requires rest between sets.