I'm Hypothyroid and Finding it impossible to lose weight?

Options
Hi, I'm new here. I've recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, and started a 50mcg Eltroxin medication 2 days ago. So far, I'm okay on them, but even before I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid, I noticed I couldn't get rid of the weight and not only that; I have an insatiable appetite for sweet things, more so chocolate and if I can't eat chocolate I'll binge on whatever I can get my hands on.

I'm 29, don't drink or smoke, only eat fish, not other meat. I weigh 167 lbs and this is the heaviest I've been in over 5 years, and I'm now terrified of putting weight back on that I lost those years ago.

I'm finding it hard to find food that I can make meals from, I also don't have the funds to buy expensive foods and organic stuff to make fancy meals either. So I need help, advice, tips, if anyone has this condition and lost weight with it, please help me. I'm going to log on here everyday, and try keep track, because since I was diagnosed with this, I've found it impossible to shift any weight whatesoever.

I also find exercising like trying to climb Everest lol! Seriously, everything is exhausting, and I've no energy, and I feel down all the time, I also have irregular periods which are causing bad mood swings and not wanting to do anything. I really just want to get off about 20 pounds, and I'll be happy for now.

I've no real friends to go walking with, as I'm socially anxious, it makes it difficult to go exercise on my own outside or in a gym, so yeah...I'm struggling real bad.

Sorry for rambling, I just want to hear how others lost weight with this condition, and symptoms, and what advice you can give me, what I can do differently, how I can help myself etc. I really appreciate anyone who can help me.

Replies

• Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message. It said there was an error. Let me know if you received it :)
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same. Read a lot. Mary Solomon website, Hypothyroid mum, Izabella Wentz, Stop the thyroid madness, thyroid Uk, are some of the websites where I got to learn a lot about thyroid. After 15+ years suffering I'm finally on the mend having been prescribed T3 only. Still overweight but since finding this site, and going low carb 29 days ago managed to lose 6 pounds. I'm feeling really positive now and crossing my fingers that I will keep loosing. Good luck and you're welcome to friend me. :-)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    It can take about 6 weeks to even know if your medication is helping. It will take time! So give it time and just do what you can while your body adjusts to the medication. It can take several rounds of testing and adjusting to get dosages correct.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You may need to give it more than 2 days for the medication to start working. The thyroid condition will affect your energy levels and your body's metabolism.

In the meantime, focus on eating reasonable amounts. Not starving yourself but also not binging. If you feel that you can control yourself if you have sweets occasionally, then have them occasionally. If you feel you can't handle having them around for fear of eating the whole container, then don't buy them.

Sorry I completely read over that point.

It takes approximately 5-7 days (from clinical observation) for levothyroxine to take effect. It will take longer for you to notice any effects and it will takes weeks for your hormones to act and react accordingly, adjust and balance.

My diary is open for anyone to review. I never eliminated any foods, just ate the same things in moderation and stuck to the budget.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    You may need to give it more than 2 days for the medication to start working. The thyroid condition will affect your energy levels and your body's metabolism.

In the meantime, focus on eating reasonable amounts. Not starving yourself but also not binging. If you feel that you can control yourself if you have sweets occasionally, then have them occasionally. If you feel you can't handle having them around for fear of eating the whole container, then don't buy them.

It takes approximately 5-7 days (from clinical observation) for levothyroxine to take effect. It will take longer for you to notice any effects and it will takes weeks for your hormones to act and react accordingly, adjust and balance.

My diary is open for anyone to review. I never eliminated any foods, just ate the same things in moderation and stuck to the budget.

^ Bolded is exactly what I was going to say.

I've been on meds for hypo for almost 10 years (I'm now 23). Lost 60+ a few years ago (gained it back, but not thyroid related.. eating too much food and sitting on my butt related..).
    I'm currently back down to 178 from my heaviest of 215.
    Track everything, get a food scale so you can weigh everything.

I can also find it difficult to get myself exercising, but I usually feel much better and sleep better when I do. Even walking is a good place to start.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Being low thyroid for a long time will do a number on all your organs, even after getting meds it may take a while for everything to sort itself so you feel better. It's also pretty natural to crave sweets when your energy level is low - you're instinctively trying to give yourself more energy! And the periods may sort themselves now that you are on meds as well.

I've been hypothyroid for years but unable to tolerate meds because they made my heart race. (I also have lupus and diabetes.) Now that my heart rate is lower due to diet and exercise, I'm starting meds again (today in fact!) and we'll just have to see.

What I've found is the most important thing is to find something you can do every day - I live in a place with regular bad weather, so what I do is HIIT cycling intervals on my stationary bike, 15 minutes a day. I started with 15 minutes of very slow pedaling and am up to 2 minutes fast, 1 minute flat out for 5 cycles. I hate it, but the thing is, it's 15 minutes, no excuses. I can handle anything for 15 minutes. When this gets too easy, I can up the resistance and swap to 1 minute on 1 minute off. So no matter what, I make myself do at least this, and then other exercise is on top of it. If you can't afford a bike, you could do the same thing with any other cardio activity, such as jumping jacks. The thing which is stupid about being exhausted and ill is that avoiding working out will not make you less exhausted, only more ill. The only way through is to work even when you feel like poo, and take your meds, and have faith you will gradually feel better.

How is your hemoglobin? That's another thing that can strip your energy and irregular periods can do that.

As far as making good food on a budget, don't worry about organic right now. There's very little evidence it has any impact on health and zero evidence it has an effect on weight loss. There is a learning curve on eating healthy food cheaply, but you can learn this. Buy basic foodstuffs and cook at home as much as possible. Nothing fancy, simple stir-fry with a non-stick pan. Or roast vegetables in the oven. Onions, beans, sweet potatoes, cabbage, plus whatever fruits and vegetables are in season and cheap. I don't know what the resources are where you live, but since you're a pescatarian find where the cheap fish market is - here where I live it's a Mexican market. If you buy not-fashionable fish such as mackerel, you can eat very well for very little - fresh mackerel at the Mexican market is $2.99/lb versus salmon at Whole Foods for $16.99, and they are both fatty fish high in omega-3s.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    The things I found most helpful
    1. Proper medication - nothing worked until that was fixed first
    2. Adding muscle with weights
    3. Reducing and eliminating the foods that caused me inflammation (most refined carbs and soy, also cut wheat completely after an allergy test)
  • LORAXPLORA
    LORAXPLORA Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm hoshimoto's hypothyroid and am very succesful with weight loss, exercise and FINALLY getting the right combination of all of the above. I've become very clear on what works and what doesn't and my advice came with lots of experimentation and lots of research. In fact when doctors and experts have recommended and I fought because it didn't help - I finally won. Please note - Here is what I found that is an add on to the comment just above me - a few more critical pieces >

#4. Exactly WHEN you eat certain foods, especially after taking your medication.
    #5. When you take your medication:

*For starters, waiting 45 min to an hour after taking medication to eat or drink. Reduce the iron you take until the afternoon. Or consider taking your medication at night, vs. in the morning.

#6. TAKE PROBIOTICS. Hypothyroid and gut health are a direct connection. Work on both the symptoms and the root cause*

#7. I would highly recommend Organic. Here's why: There are more toxins and pesticides in your fruits and veggies that would do more harm than good.

#8. Listen to your body. If it hurts, your medication is the wrong dose. I knew in two weeks if the medication was working.

Feel free to reach me.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Once you find a medication and dose that works for you, your fatigue should start to subside which will make it much easier to follow both a lower calorie eating plan and to begin an exercise plan. You shouldn't have to buy expensive specialty foods, but you may find you do best with a basic well-balanced diet eating of all the food groups, with plenty of vegetables and other healthy foods. Many who are hypo do not do well long term on a very low carb diet as it can further lower their thyroid function.

You will probably be able to lose weight once your hormone levels are optimal, but you also may find things fluctuate and there are times your body won't lose weight even when you think it should.

For myself, I couldn't tolerate the medication you are on and you may find it makes you sicker. Don't be afraid to research and try different things if your doctor's favored medication isn't the one most compatible with your body.
  • michelledantinne
    michelledantinne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. I knew there was something wrong for a few years now and was finally diagnosed with hypothyroid in Sept '16. I've been working out at least 5x a week at least an hour a day over the last 4 years and have actually put on 20 lbs during that time. I had to do a health assessment for my DH company this morning and found I was 3 inches more in my waist than last year. My working out is at a hault due to a tennis elbow that refuses to heal for the last year. My Dr. told me to lay off cardio recently due to extremely low t3 levels and stressed adrenals. I eat pretty healthy with the occasional treat. I have been taking Nature Throid and Lirothyronine and I cannot lose a lb! I've tried low carb, shake protocols, phentermine, nothing works. I'm at a loss. So incredibly depressed right now. Nothing fits. I don't mean to have a pity party, as I know there are many in my same shoes. That's exactly why I'm posting here. No one else understands what I'm going through. Any advice?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hello. I knew there was something wrong for a few years now and was finally diagnosed with hypothyroid in Sept '16. I've been working out at least 5x a week at least an hour a day over the last 4 years and have actually put on 20 lbs during that time. I had to do a health assessment for my DH company this morning and found I was 3 inches more in my waist than last year. My working out is at a hault due to a tennis elbow that refuses to heal for the last year. My Dr. told me to lay off cardio recently due to extremely low t3 levels and stressed adrenals. I eat pretty healthy with the occasional treat. I have been taking Nature Throid and Lirothyronine and I cannot lose a lb! I've tried low carb, shake protocols, phentermine, nothing works. I'm at a loss. So incredibly depressed right now. Nothing fits. I don't mean to have a pity party, as I know there are many in my same shoes. That's exactly why I'm posting here. No one else understands what I'm going through. Any advice?
    I'm hypothyroid and have been for years. Working out excessively actually makes me feel much worse. I get raging headaches and feel like I'm going to collapse. I have lost 80 pounds walking and eating at a deficit. If you are anything like me you might want to just watch the diet more and do gentle exercise. No one understands that doesn't suffer from this frustrating condition. You can normalize your weight and you can feel better but as others have said it takes time and patience. Try slowing down and eating healhy and low calorie. Find things you like to do but don't push beyond your ability to recover in a day or two. That has been my experience anyway for what it's worth.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Once you find a medication and dose that works for you, your fatigue should start to subside which will make it much easier to follow both a lower calorie eating plan and to begin an exercise plan. You shouldn't have to buy expensive specialty foods, but you may find you do best with a basic well-balanced diet eating of all the food groups, with plenty of vegetables and other healthy foods. Many who are hypo do not do well long term on a very low carb diet as it can further lower their thyroid function.

You will probably be able to lose weight once your hormone levels are optimal, but you also may find things fluctuate and there are times your body won't lose weight even when you think it should.

For myself, I couldn't tolerate the medication you are on and you may find it makes you sicker. Don't be afraid to research and try different things if your doctor's favored medication isn't the one most compatible with your body.

Would you share more about your experience with specific medications? I'm interested in knowing what my options are and the internet seems to say "try stuff at random until something works for you" which isn't very helpful.
  • Meeva87
    Meeva87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    You sound exhausted and I just want to give you a hug! I'm hypothyroid and went undiagnosed for years because I didn't fit into their perfect window of test levels. I had to fight to get on meds and then they put me on the wrong one for years until a doctor finally did the right tests. She figured out that the T4 med that I was on was useless because my body wasn't converting T4 into T3. Even with the right meds it may take awhile for your body to adjust. Be easy on yourself in the meantime. Take long walks, that's what started me back on to exercising. Try to cut out the refined stuff, sugar, processed foods etc and eat more nutrient dense foods.

Also, have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? I was so low, it almost didn't register. Taking 5000 iu's a day of Vitamin D has helped me immensely with so many things. Low D can have a lot of the same symptoms as thyroid issued.

Haha aww thank you! I'm sorry you had to go through all that before you got what was right for you! Thanks for the info :)
  • Meeva87
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

^ Bolded is exactly what I was going to say.

I've been on meds for hypo for almost 10 years (I'm now 23). Lost 60+ a few years ago (gained it back, but not thyroid related.. eating too much food and sitting on my butt related..).
    I'm currently back down to 178 from my heaviest of 215.
    Track everything, get a food scale so you can weigh everything.

I can also find it difficult to get myself exercising, but I usually feel much better and sleep better when I do. Even walking is a good place to start.

Wow! Thank you for sharing that, and well done for losing so much! I completely understand as well! I have a food scales, so will put it to better use! :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

Would you share more about your experience with specific medications? I'm interested in knowing what my options are and the internet seems to say "try stuff at random until something works for you" which isn't very helpful.

I take levothyroxine along with a B vitamin complex and selenium. I have hashimotos if that matters
  • Meeva87
    Options
    Being low thyroid for a long time will do a number on all your organs, even after getting meds it may take a while for everything to sort itself so you feel better. It's also pretty natural to crave sweets when your energy level is low - you're instinctively trying to give yourself more energy! And the periods may sort themselves now that you are on meds as well.

I've been hypothyroid for years but unable to tolerate meds because they made my heart race. (I also have lupus and diabetes.) Now that my heart rate is lower due to diet and exercise, I'm starting meds again (today in fact!) and we'll just have to see.

What I've found is the most important thing is to find something you can do every day - I live in a place with regular bad weather, so what I do is HIIT cycling intervals on my stationary bike, 15 minutes a day. I started with 15 minutes of very slow pedaling and am up to 2 minutes fast, 1 minute flat out for 5 cycles. I hate it, but the thing is, it's 15 minutes, no excuses. I can handle anything for 15 minutes. When this gets too easy, I can up the resistance and swap to 1 minute on 1 minute off. So no matter what, I make myself do at least this, and then other exercise is on top of it. If you can't afford a bike, you could do the same thing with any other cardio activity, such as jumping jacks. The thing which is stupid about being exhausted and ill is that avoiding working out will not make you less exhausted, only more ill. The only way through is to work even when you feel like poo, and take your meds, and have faith you will gradually feel better.

How is your hemoglobin? That's another thing that can strip your energy and irregular periods can do that.

As far as making good food on a budget, don't worry about organic right now. There's very little evidence it has any impact on health and zero evidence it has an effect on weight loss. There is a learning curve on eating healthy food cheaply, but you can learn this. Buy basic foodstuffs and cook at home as much as possible. Nothing fancy, simple stir-fry with a non-stick pan. Or roast vegetables in the oven. Onions, beans, sweet potatoes, cabbage, plus whatever fruits and vegetables are in season and cheap. I don't know what the resources are where you live, but since you're a pescatarian find where the cheap fish market is - here where I live it's a Mexican market. If you buy not-fashionable fish such as mackerel, you can eat very well for very little - fresh mackerel at the Mexican market is $2.99/lb versus salmon at Whole Foods for $16.99, and they are both fatty fish high in omega-3s.

Thank you, that is great information and yeah I totally agree. All I can manage at the moment is an hour a day walking my dogs, after that, I get too tired to do anymore. I know my problem is food and not correcting myself when I overreat. I really appreciate all the info you put in here!