Which program do you follow?

Options
I'm looking at starting to lift soon - very beginner - and wondered how you all got started? I'm looking specifically to NROL4W or SL5X5. And comments appreciated - thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone do a low carb deficit while strength training?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When I first started I kind of waffled around on bb.com, but then I followed Strong Curves which I loved. Both NR and SL are excellent beginner programs, take a look at the templates and see which one you like.

I find going too low carb affects my lifting performance (so no bueno) however I do lower my carbs on rest/cardio days. See what works for you!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with a personal trainer. Weights intimidate me.
  • magee0203
    magee0203 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I'm not sure how you like to look at your stuff, but I follow anna victoria on instagram and shes CONSTANTLY posting really great workouts that include a lot of smaller weights that are great for beginners. She has her own website too, shes amazing and super fun to watch. FitBodyGirls is her plan and although I havent "bought" it, i use her workouts on instagram often
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with a personal trainer. Weights intimidate me.

Me too... intimidation, not the trainer :'(
  • Juicy_D246
    Juicy_D246 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The New Rules books are very informative and offer challenging programs at all levels. They are well supported by their own message boards, too. I had good results with two of the programs: New Rules for Women and New Rules for Life. Author Lou Schuler recommends against doing the programs without access to a complete gym.

I'm re-starting "Simple & Sinister" by Pavel Tsatsouline. For the cost of one year's membership at a full service gym, I have set up a nice kettlebell studio at home.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am working with a personal trainer. She is absolutely amazing! I feel better eating around 100g of net carbs. Not too high to aggravate my gut, but not too low to make me feel lethargic and weak. I focus on eating more protein on the days that I work out, but that's more for satiety.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLFW and lasted a few phases then it became way to convoluted for my taste. I've completed StrongLifts and liked it much more, then PHUL which was a fave. Now I'm sticking with Jessie Hilgenberg programs and love LOVE them. Great nutrition programming comes with it.

HTH
  • pommid
    pommid Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started out with SL5x5 which I enjoyed, but it didn't target all the muscles I really wanted to get gainz on, so I dug around some more and am now doing StrongCurves.
  • NewYearNewMe140
    NewYearNewMe140 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does Strong Curves have a DVD?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Does Strong Curves have a DVD?

No it is just the book
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Push/Pull/Legs program. I started with it just over a year ago, took a bit of a break from the gym (which I regret), and am back with it (3 days a week with 3 days a week of c25k, rather than 6 days a week like before).
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to lift years ago but I feel like a beginner. I've ordered Strong Curves and should arrive Monday. Although I obviously haven't seen the whole program, I'm planning on using the bodyweight program for the rest of the summer, then joining a gym after Labor Day. I have downloaded a spreadsheet. Has anyone tried using that, esp. from their phone?
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I started lifting again and am doing strong lifts 5×5 I use the app on my phone . I also add accessory from strong curves (ie.hip thrusts, bridges,walking lunges etc.) Some days I add cleans and snatches because I love doing them
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I used to lift years ago but I feel like a beginner. I've ordered Strong Curves and should arrive Monday. Although I obviously haven't seen the whole program, I'm planning on using the bodyweight program for the rest of the summer, then joining a gym after Labor Day. I have downloaded a spreadsheet. Has anyone tried using that, esp. from their phone?

I have tried using the odd on my phone .I have a Samsung s8 and I'm able to write/type in my weights and reps on the spreadsheet downloaded to my phone . I also write out what I'm doing on a piece of paper and write in my weights/ reps as I go
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Started w the basics for 20 minutes 3xs a week and moved up from there. Google weights for beginners and you will land on one for you.