Healthy dessert/sweet snack alternatives?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Halo Top.

I see Americans rave about Halo Top all the time. I wish I was able to buy some where I live.

For me I've started making jello a lot. I have half a cup of it with whipped cream.

I wish they had it here in Canada :( Samething for Kodiak pancakes, another product that many Americans rave about.

Halo Top is okay for a low-cal ice cream. Between something like 240 and 360 cal per pint depending on flavor it's temping to eat the whole pint, which makes it a pretty expensive habit. I tried a couple of flavors, and have gone back to regular good quality ice cream, managing my portion sizes. Sometimes eating less of the real is better than a lot of the not so good.

Unsweetened apple sauce sometimes satisfies my sweet tooth, or dried fruit.

It tastes better than regular ice cream for me. Win/win.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    40 calorie fudge pops!
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Almost every night I eat some vanilla Greek yogurt with a few dark chocolate chips or m&ms
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Fruit is my go to dessert but I've always loved it and don't seem to have as bad a sweet tooth as the average person.

I also make my favourite cookie recipes in bite size portions. I love seeing how many quarter sized cookies I can get from a single batch of dough. My record so far is 47. They end up being 65-85 calories a cookie depending on the recipe. The only downside is that then I have a Lot of cookies to annoy me in the freezer. (Must hide the calorie counted ones from sneaking fingers)
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    HALO TOP
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I learned this from a lady selling diet cookies at the farmer's market: Cut your cookie, protein bar, fig newton or whatever into tiny squares, and take time savoring each piece.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    LARABARs are amazing, at least the peanut butter chocolate chip one, and it contains four ingredients -- dates, peanuts, chocolate chips and sea salt, 6g protein, 3g fiber. My other suggestion would be tea, if you like it. You can get some fun and delicious flavors of tea, including chocolate with zero or close to zero calories.
  • karlabay
    karlabay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Aldi's Fit & Active brand Chocolate Fudge Bar... 100 cal.. 1 gram fat.. 15 sugar.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Cake Bites/10
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I second some of the other suggestions - Yasso bars, Halo Top, and sugar free pudding are two of my favorites. (Side note: note all sugar free puddings are created equal. I love the Jello chocolate and vanilla swirl, but I find the Hunt's snack pack vanilla kind of gross if I eat it plain, so you may want to try multiple flavors before you give up on pudding.)

If you can't find Halo Top in your area, Enlightened ice cream is pretty similar calorie, macro, and taste-wise.

If you like baking, check the recipe section of MFP for the protein cheesecake recipe. It's delicious and pretty easy to make.

For a no bake recipe, I like this one:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-cookies-n-cream-tortoni-3-points-273041
    (If you skip the crust directions and just use half an oreo as the "crust" for each one, and then use 6 reduced fat oreos total, they're 73 calories each in my hands.)

One more snack I love is waffles. Kashi and Eggo both have frozen waffle flavors that are 70 calories each. I sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on them and add two tablespoons of fat free cool whip. (And fat free cool whip makes everything better and it's only 15 calories for 2 tablespoons.)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Sometimes eating less of the real is better than a lot of the not so good.

This. A couple of fun size bars of the real thing worked for me.

Now I'm in maintenance, I get the full size.
  • chichi2192
    chichi2192 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate how helpful people are on this app
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Another thing I like is the Greek yogurt flips with add-ins.... Chobani, Fage, and Dannon all have a version. Most are 180-220 calories but are delicious and have a lot of protein.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dannon light and fit Greek yogurts with the crunchy stuff (or any brand of yogurt with the little crunchy and chocolate pieces) work for me. Fiber one desserts, CLIFF BARS YESSS, and if I've done a lot that day, those power bars help me. I try to balance what I eat and do but things like granola bars, Kind bars, etc. help the cravings
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    A single serving of high quality ice cream. The "diet" stuff just is NOT the same.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Let's see the options:
    Jell-O, fresh fruit, any of the 100 calorie snacks they've got going on now, chocolate...

I've even looked into making baked goods using beans, which is neat in its own way.

Basically, your options are endless. For the sake of getting the most bang for my calorie buck I won't eat normal brownies much anymore (a small square is what...300 or so cals? I could have almost 8oz of chicken for that amount and be more satiated), but Halo Top? Fills me up more at the end of the day when I have calories to fill.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    fruit is nature's candy!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My breakfast smoothies have fruit (and fiber, fat, and protein.)

I like a tangerine or part of an apple with lunch.

For dessert after dinner, I like 50 calorie Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate with Almonds Nuggets.

For bed time snacks I alternate between oats, greek yogurt, and raspberries & blueberries, and peanut butter, apple, cheese on a piece of bread.

In general, I have increased fruit and decreased more caloric baked goods.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Fruit
    yogurt
    Smaller portion sizes of things like dark chocolate
    Lower calorie desserts- sugar free versions, low fat versions popsicles, fudgesicles, ice cream, pudding
    Celery with peanut butter
    Frozen fruit sorbet
    Muffin
    Sweet potato
    Prunes

Just find something that fits your calorie goal.