Anti-support... ("Stop losing weight!", Don't lose more weight!")

Hi, I've already lost nearly 60 pounds in my weight loss. I started off at 210 and I'm at 160 now. The problem here though, is that I've been getting compliments from people like 'you look good,' etc. But along with the compliments come comments from some people, especially family members, saying things like "You shouldn't lose anymore," or "If you lose more you'll be too skinny and won't look good," etc.

BUT, they don't even know that -

1. Based on the ideal weight calculator, I'm still about 10 - 15 pounds over my ideal weight. And I'm still borderline around the overweight and normal bmi.

2. I may look slim with my clothes ON, but OFF, I'm still jiggly as heck, and I still have fat, especially in my belly area, thighs, chest, and arms. It's super noticeable when I sit down, layers of flabbyness.

So I don't get it. Why do people keep telling me not to lose more as if I'm harming myself. They usually react in surprise telling me to stop losing more weight, when in fact, the above things I mentioned and listed are true.

Need feedback and advice please. Am I really supposed to stop? Would I really turn into a twig if I continue? All I want is to get rid of all my flabbyness and fat that's left, but people try discouraging me to stop. Thanks.

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Everyone has an opinion. the comments stop eventually when they get used to the new you
    obviously you will turn into a twig if you go overboard, but really you know best so stop when you are ready
    good luck
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Tell whomever makes the comments that you didn't ask for their opinion.
  • sporangia
    sporangia Posts: 50 Member
    Are you considered underweight? If not, keep losing weight and ignore them.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    "My goal is to get down to what is considered a medically ideal weight for me. I'm sorry you don't think I look good, but my health is more important than your opinion of my looks."

Sometimes when people give backhanded "compliments" you have to call them out by making them own what they just said. In this case you were just insulted - make the person who insulted you admit doing it, apologize, and stop being rude. This is no different than if they said "You need to stop gaining weight before you become a heifer," which a polite person would never do in a million years.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Stop talking about your weight. Simple.

That's the thing, I don't even mention it. They make the comments first, lol.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    The problem here though, is that I've been getting compliments from people like 'you look good,' etc.

I've been getting this a lot too the past month or so. People act like I've "made it", I've had personal trainers tell me I've completely transformed. But it's pre celebrating and another form of crab bucketing. We have to tune it out and remember that the only opinion that matters is our own, even if others' are positive!
  • Fatvaporizer
    If only they just saw all the flabbyness still there under my shirt, the slight manboobs, belly pudge, hip fat, thigh fat, arm fat, and more. This all shows when I sit down, it's bad. If only they saw that! I'm still not as skinny as they think.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member

Same here, I don't know how much you've lost, but I've lost about 130 and I'm starting to "tighten up" now. The people who see me on a regular, semi regular, or sporadic basis have all brought it up at least once. Sometimes I like the attention, sometimes I want to slurk away (is slurk a word?). Sure we look better but maybe we're struggling with the next 10lbs, or maybe we're dealing with going off our diet and putting on 10 that we are struggling to fix. Sometimes even positive compliments end up being defeating. At least for me.

Talking about my weight isn't a choice. It's going to happen. Because the change has been so big.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Stop talking about your weight. Simple.

Smile and nod, walk away...
  • Fatvaporizer
    Update: After I made this post, in the morning, my grandmother lectured me on how 'you shouldnt lose anymore or you'll look like a skeleton.' I'm 5'7, 160 pounds. How can I be a skeleton by losing more when the ideal weight calculator says 145 is my ideal. Then my dad comes in and says 'if you want to lose your remaining belly fat then just spot train! Do crunches! Stop your dieting.' I said isn't spot training a myth? And he said 'no, those people are just saying things. They don't understand."

I'm so tired of those comments.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2017
    Update: After I made this post, in the morning, my grandmother lectured me on how 'you shouldnt lose anymore or you'll look like a skeleton.' I'm 5'7, 160 pounds. How can I be a skeleton by losing more when the ideal weight calculator says 145 is my ideal. Then my dad comes in and says 'if you want to lose your remaining belly fat then just spot train! Do crunches! Stop your dieting.' I said isn't spot training a myth? And he said 'no, those people are just saying things. They don't understand."

I'm so tired of those comments.

So don't have them. Stand up and walk away.

Or you say 'ok, I won't lose any more weight'... and then carry on losing weight...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Well... your dad is wrong. Spot training is a myth.

Can you ask him why he doesn't want you to diet anymore?
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Something to consider though - even if some chart says that you have another 10-15 pounds to lose, that's just a guideline, what really matters is how you feel. Keep in mind as well that there is no one perfect weight, it's usually a range and depends a lot on an individual's body type. The range for a person who is 5'7" is something like 125 to 165, so if you are 160 you are within that range. Also, if you have lost a lot of weight, you may have loose skin and think you are still flabby/fat, but really you just need to tone up. That's not saying not to loose the extra few pounds that you want to loose, but just to consider working on toning at the same time and you'll probably see better results, even if your weight doesn't change much more.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Forget what they said, it's hating or jealousy. What's important is how you feel? Do you like what you see in the mirror and are you excited about your success? If the answer is yes then that's all that matters. You can't love anyone else if you don't love yourself first. I'm just saying..
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    They "see" you as already skinny because the vast majority of adults are overweight or obese now. This means the new "average" body size is actually overweight but is being "seen" as "normal". That's why they are telling you to stop...they are going by what they see around them and not by medical facts.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    I just posted about this and now I keep seeing it. It feels good to vent...but you can't change people. So just ignore them or argue with them and then move on.
  • Fatvaporizer
    I guess I have to grow thick skin and do what I want and ignore everyone, because honestly, they think I'm like super skinny and I don't understand why I have all this flab and fat left on my body, jiggly belly and breasts, etc lol.

Thanks for your feedback.

Would love to hear more.