"first fast, then binge" or "first binge, then fast"

Hi!

I was just having this hypothetical question all day and I can't seem to find the answer, so curious as I am, I'm asking it over here.

Since both binging and fasting seem to have quite the impact on our digestive system, what would be better for your health (or weight loss progress), first a fast, then a binge, or first a binge, then a fast?

Replies

• bluefire301175
    bluefire301175 Posts: 24 Member
    I think what you are referring to is intermittent fasting. This would not be classified as a binge but as a meal. I feel in the situation of IF it's up to your preference of when you have your one big meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Again, intermittent fasting is great for people it works for, who are conscious of what they are eating, but the word "binge" implies something entirely different.

I agree, particularly the uncontrolled, rather compulsive nature of the eating. Maybe OP is using binge differently (incorrectly), but if so I'd want it clarified.

Planned regular "fasting" as in refraining from eating for a period of hours (or even a day) is not harmful, but I think bingeing is, and fasting as a way to make up for/punish bingeing can make bingeing more likely/play into the issues that lead to it.

I see this as not at all the same thing as IF. If OP means IF, I'd hope OP would clarify.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    This would be the strangest way I've heard IF described, if that's what the topic here is. IF wouldn't typically be considered binge/fast cycles.

OP, can you describe the context in which you are using the terms binge and fast? That would help get clearer answers.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Sensibly eat a diet that meats your macros , comtains delicious variety of foods,and allows for an occasional treat.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    In the past, I'd binge then fast....and It's called bulimia. Neither is good for you... and it really isn't good for weight loss in any specific way... just diet and exercise.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    I don't have much knowledge about eating disorders so take my reply keeping that in mind.
    But I don't see a problem with fasting to save your calories for a big meal.
    Let's say a person is on 2k calories a day. One meal a day is perfectly fine and not unhealthy, so that one meal will feel like a "binge", but it's still controlled and planned( as long as it doesn't turn into a 4k calories meal).

Well Ive had a planned 4000cal meal too and it was fine. But this shouldnt be every day. Thats how I took it? Maybe Im wrong. I took it as eat like 5000 calories then dont eat for 3 days... which is definitely not healthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I don't have much knowledge about eating disorders so take my reply keeping that in mind.
    But I don't see a problem with fasting to save your calories for a big meal.
    Let's say a person is on 2k calories a day. One meal a day is perfectly fine and not unhealthy, so that one meal will feel like a "binge", but it's still controlled and planned( as long as it doesn't turn into a 4k calories meal).

Well Ive had a planned 4000cal meal too and it was fine. But this shouldnt be every day. Thats how I took it? Maybe Im wrong. I took it as eat like 5000 calories then dont eat for 3 days... which is definitely not healthy.

If your calorie goal is 4000 then you can do it every day.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    This would be the strangest way I've heard IF described, if that's what the topic here is. IF wouldn't typically be considered binge/fast cycles.

OP, can you describe the context in which you are using the terms binge and fast? That would help get clearer answers.

We might have different views of what "binge" means. There's many days I have 1500-2000 calories meals( one meal a day). And I meet most of my macros. I don't have an ED.
    I would imagine that can be considered binging by most people, no?
  • TavistockToad

We might have different views of what "binge" means. There's many days I have 1500-2000 calories meals( one meal a day). And I meet most of my macros. I don't have an ED.

What makes you think that is considered bingeing?

Bingeing by definition is uncontrollable eating - not a specific amount of calories.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited May 2017

Bingeing by definition is uncontrollable eating - not a specific amount of calories.

Binge is a short period devoted to indulging in an activity to excess, especially drinking alcohol or eating.

Edit: Going out to bars is bingeing on alcohol, it doesn't make you an alcoholic.
    Fasting to save your calories for a bigger meal doesn't mean you have an ED either.

That's the first reaction people have without even asking questions.
    I'm not saying what OP is doing is healthy or not, but none of us have enough knowledge to make that determination

• TavistockToad

Binge is a short period devoted to indulging in an activity to excess, especially drinking alcohol or eating.

But calories that are your maintenance or a deficit aren't 'excessive' though?
  • TavistockToad

Edit: Going out to bars is bingeing on alcohol, it doesn't make you an alcoholic.
    Fasting to save your calories for a bigger meal doesn't mean you have an ED either.

That's the first reaction people have without even asking questions.
    I'm not saying what OP is doing is healthy or not, but none of us have enough knowledge to make that determination

I'm not the only person to mention disordered eating, but Ok, just pull me up on it if it makes you feel better.