I've come to conclusion cutting is not the answer for me for skinny fat

Options
This skinny fat dilemma has been a real PITA for me. I seem to be going around in circles getting nowhere only a smaller version of myself with the same composition.

Every 6 months or so I check in here with the same issues. 230lbs to 170lbs, I then went to 160lbs a year later and it made no difference, I've been as low as 138lbs at 6ft which is underweight and still had chest and belly fat. The answer seem to be lift weights, Great! I've been doing that since day 1. I get the theory in cutting when skinny fat but that's assuming there is some lean mass there, mine must be none existent.

So I am wondering what would happen to my composition if I went on a proper lean bulk and actually built some muscle first as I am sick of this cutting and pissing about.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert Dave, but going back in your diary you're not hitting your protein goals, and almost always have calories left over. Eating right, and hitting your macros are important for muscle gain. Try that. By the way--love your profile pic.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert Dave, but going back in your diary you're not hitting your protein goals, and almost always have calories left over. Eating right, and hitting your macros are important for muscle gain. Try that. By the way--love your profile pic.

He's been told that forever...
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You've been asking the same thing for months now... but refusing to follow the advice of either bulking or recomp while following an actual decent lifting programme....

Recomp is to slow, I am told to cut. To high BF%, I give programs a good 8-12 weeks, if no progress I move on but I am not going to make any progress in a deficit.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    So, if you have given it a good try in a deficit, with no progress, what's the harm in trying a recomp or clean bulk? What program have you followed? Have you progressed on your lifts at all?
  • dave_in_ni
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So, if you have given it a good try in a deficit, with no progress, what's the harm in trying a recomp or clean bulk? What program have you followed? Have you progressed on your lifts at all?

I have done the following

Bigger Leaner Stronger
    5X5
    Fierce 5
    2 different versions of PPL

My lifts involving legs have been pretty decent and still going all be it slowly, Deadlift 1RM 315lbs, Squat 286lbs but upper body is rubbish. BP 132lbs OHP 103lbs
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Too high BF to recomp doesn't actually make sense when you are already light weight.
    The recommendation to get lean is before bulking.

If you aren't managing to eat your calorie allowance now what will change if you decide to bulk?

You have a point, I will admit I do have a fear of getting fat again
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Too high BF to recomp doesn't actually make sense when you are already light weight.

If you aren't managing to eat your calorie allowance now what will change if you decide to bulk?

Can someone be so sweet as to please tell me what recomp is and/or the dif between bulking and cutting vs recomp? I have a time before I need to do it but it's been bothering me.... even if its in a PM someone lol. I find people explaining to be more comprehensible than Google btw (Im aware I can look it up but it's the internet so it's not always right)
  • dave_in_ni
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Can someone be so sweet as to please tell me what recomp is and/or the dif between bulking and cutting vs recomp? I have a time before I need to do it but it's been bothering me.... even if its in a PM someone lol. I find people explaining to be more comprehensible than Google btw (Im aware I can look it up but it's the internet so it's not always right)

You eat at maintenance while lifting, the theory is you burn fat and build muscle at the same time but its a lot slower than cutting and bulking
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You need to stick with your programs mire than 8-12 weeks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    You've been asking the same thing for months now... but refusing to follow the advice of either bulking or recomp while following an actual decent lifting programme....

Recomp is to slow, I am told to cut. To high BF%, I give programs a good 8-12 weeks, if no progress I move on but I am not going to make any progress in a deficit.

No, you're not.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

No, you're not.

OK so are you saying bulk? Is the answer to this Bulk folks? at least for a while anyway, until I have built some muscle? As they say you can't polish a turd and thats what I am trying to do.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    How long have you followed those programs? Do you change programs every few weeks?

Recomp is for people who are within a healthy weight range, but have high body fat. If that's you, you need to stick to one lifting program all the way through.

No matter what you do just assume that if you work really hard in the gym lifting it will take you a year to get real visible results and if you screw around it will take you five years to see any changes.

8-12 weeks. I did my first program for 6 months though. Bigger leaner stronger which if you read the reviews on Amazon is supposed to be amazing.