Help with stomach fat

Options
So I joined the gym in October I go between 5 and 6 times a week and do a combination of cardio and weights. So far I think I've done pretty well losing weight and inches I've gone from a tight 16 to a size 10 but... and there's always a but lol my stomach isn't getting any smaller and the more weight I lose the more self conscious I feel about it. I know we can't just lose weight in one place but any tips would be much appreciated thanks.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. It might just be the way your body is naturally shaped and how it holds onto fat. Just keep up what you're doing.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I know we can't just lose weight in one place

There are no tips to lose stomach fat, your body decides when to get rid of it and you can't influence its decision.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck with tummy fat 50lbs down... I know how you feel!
  • czof5
    czof5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I agree with everyone above comments. But I got a golds gym waist trainer. I plan on sweating off some of it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    czof5 wrote: »
    I have the same problem. I agree with everyone above comments. But I got a golds gym waist trainer. I plan on sweating off some of it.

Waist trainers do absolutely zero to reduce fat.

As to the OP, all you can do is keep losing weight. Your genetics define your weight loss pattern. Unfortunately, for many people the fat around the belly/waistline is the last to come off.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm like this too. I know what you mean. I think I look and feel OK, then lose a few more pounds and it seems like my belly is really big all of a sudden. But, it's everything else that's shrinking (I guess). It catches up eventually -- if that's any consolation.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I know we can't just lose weight in one place

There are no tips to lose stomach fat, your body decides when to get rid of it and you can't influence its decision.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest

^This is such a great link. Definitely check it out.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

if only it worked that way...but it doesn't. OP, as others said (and you said it yourself) - you cannot spot reduce.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I mean, you could corset train for 20 hours a day (with a proper steel-boned corset, of course, not one of the waist trainer things) for weeks if you want a smaller waist, but unless you're a corsetry hobbyist, I don't recommend the discomfort of tightlacing...all it does is impermanently 'squish' your waist, you don't lose any fat.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sadly you don't get to pick where the weight comes off from. I wish I could too. All you can do is stick with it. Lose the fat and eventually it will come off where you want it to.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I got down to a size 2-4 and still had a bit of pudge. I lost it everywhere else except there. I decided to just live with it because that is my genetics and unfortunately that's where my body holds onto its fat.
  • acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the last place you gained weight/fat is the first place to lose the weight/fat. Just keep doing what you are doing and maybe try some strength training and work on correcting posture if there are any issues there. This can help belly fat be a lot less noticeable if you are standing tall and not hunched over.
  • gamboajudy
    gamboajudy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's tough! But don't be discouraged. You will get rid of it with hard work and determination. I lost 50lbs from 2011-2012 and have been actively maintaining since then. The one area where the fat still remains is my lower stomach as well! I have found that the ONLY way for me to achieve a flat stomach and reduced fat all over is with daily exercise, an increase in consumption of water, and cutting out dairy, alcohol, gluten, corn, soy, and caffeine. When I am actively cutting out these "Toxic 6", I look and feel my best. When I go off track, I very easily gain weight and can visibly see the inflammation returning. Best of luck to you! Keep your goal in mind. Vision boards have always helped me too!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

What
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

That only works if you consider your wallet part of your waist.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    to keep reducing fat your are going to need consistent calorie deficit, accurate logging, micro/macro adherence, and consistent training..

Are you following a structured lifting regimen like strong lifts, strong curves, etc? If no, I would suggest finding a program and running it for four to six months...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    gamboajudy wrote: »
    It's tough! But don't be discouraged. You will get rid of it with hard work and determination. I lost 50lbs from 2011-2012 and have been actively maintaining since then. The one area where the fat still remains is my lower stomach as well! I have found that the ONLY way for me to achieve a flat stomach and reduced fat all over is with daily exercise, an increase in consumption of water, and cutting out dairy, alcohol, gluten, corn, soy, and caffeine. When I am actively cutting out these "Toxic 6", I look and feel my best. When I go off track, I very easily gain weight and can visibly see the inflammation returning. Best of luck to you! Keep your goal in mind. Vision boards have always helped me too!

1. those are not toxic
    2. you can consume and still meet your fat loss goals.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    OP, I am willing to bet that your stomach is getting smaller. It is just hard for us to see our own progress. As a man with a 30" waist and visible abs, I know that objectively I am in very good shape but when I look in the mirror I still see what little bit of fat is left. Progress photos can definitely be helpful and show us what the mirror won't.

As for losing the belly fat, just keep lifting and maintain a reasonable calorie deficit and it will keep shrinking.