Weightlifting/bodybuilding - where to start

Options
Deresha1977
Deresha1977 Posts: 17 Member
Hi. I'm 39 years old and formally obese but still overweight. I've lost close to 7 stone in a year through pure and simple calorie counting. I've reversed my diabetes and am no longer a diabetic.

I took up running and now run 5k 3 or 4 times per week. Would wrist weights while running do anything at all or is that expecting something for nothing.

Next issue. Filling some of my moderate excess skin with a little more muscle to reduce the flabby bits :/

I have access to a gym, so where to begin? How often? How many reps etc. I see people talk of reps of 8 (x 3) but with most weights 5 x kills me. Is reps of 5 not effective?

I'm still dieting but measure these days as well as weigh. I am aware more muscle could show on the scales! I have a 500 cal food deficit per day. The exercise just becomes extra deficit. I eat fruit, vegetables chicken and fish. I do not eat any grains or starchy carbs. I have protein shakes after running.

How much muscle weight can I typically gain per month?

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    In theory you will not gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Also depending on much lose skin you have, you might( key word might) never be able to "fill it up" with muscle.
    I am saying these things because alot of people think weight training will give them results within​ two months and get disappointed. Now in the beginning, chances are you might see some quick results, depending on hard you train.
    If you are done with weight loss, I would eat at maintenance and perform weight training.
    Or another idea, at first I would keep the deficit until you learn the proper form of main compound exercises, then eat at maintenance and add weights to it.
    I would not worry about reps and weights until you feel that you got the proper form.
    My two cents.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Oh and congratulations on your weight loss and reversing diabetes
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm going to advise against wrist weights while running. It's not good for you and won't help you add muscle. People who run with weights usually wear a vest or backpack but it's not necessary for your goals. The best thing you can do is buy a book. I've read NROLFW and it walks you through dieting and deficits, 500 is too big, and a specific exercise routine. I can't recommen this book enough.

Congratulations on your loss.
  • Deresha1977
    Options
    In theory you will not gain muscle on a calorie deficit.

Exploring the science of this... ! Thank you.

• Deresha1977
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I'm going to advise against wrist weights while running. It's not good for you and won't help you add muscle.
    Noted. Thank you.
  • Deresha1977
    Options
    I am saying these things because alot of people think weight training will give them results within​ two months and get disappointed.

No quick fixing here. I'm making permanent lifestyle changes. I'm also studying health and nutrition at college as voluntary re-education.

• Deresha1977
    Options
    Oh and congratulations on your weight loss and reversing diabetes

Thank you :)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting in a deficit will help maintain the muscle mass you have. It is possible to improve your muscle mass in a deficit - that usually applies to untrained individuals and may only last a few months. Weight lifting is also good for maintaining/improving bone density. This link has a list of lifting programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Take a look at the beginner programs and see if there is anything that interests you. You would follow the reps/sets laid out in the program you choose. Even if you don't pick Strong Lift 5x5 I recommend reading it thorough. The website does a really good job of explaining form.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I agree with no wrist weights for running. Don't confuse your weight training with your running. You will get more out of both if you focus on one at a time.
    Do you have access to free weights/barbells/squat racks and benches at your gym? Have a trainer show you around and how the equipment works. Look up some beginner programs. I like stronglifts 5x5, but there are other good ones. If 5x5 seems too​ hard, the weight is too heavy. Start light and learn perfect form before adding weight.

Since you are still in a deficit, you are basically trying to keep the muscle you have while losing weight. You shouldn't gain any weight besides minimal temporary water retention while in a deficit.
  • Deresha1977
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Weight lifting in a deficit will help maintain the muscle mass you have.

Thats a good enough reason to start now whilst the dieting is ongoing. Cheers.