My first 5K

ABabilonia
ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
Last Thursday I ran my first 5K (The race was actually 3.5 miles). I'm in my mid 30s and this was the biggest athletic accomplishment in my life (yeah that sounded kind of lame). I was planning for 40 minutes, praying for 35, but surprisingly I finished in less than 29 minutes (28:43 to me more precise). Maybe it was pride, determination, a mix of both, or something else, but hey, I'll take it. Infinite thanks to MFP and C25K. Back in September I couldn't run for five minutes straight and today I'm training for a 10K (In October).

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Well done!
  • DavidVXR
    DavidVXR Posts: 109 Member
    Park Run Barcode downloaded
  • laurainottawa
    laurainottawa Posts: 64 Member
    That's fantastic!! Congratulations on your first 5k, and amazing time!
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Good for you! Races are addicting..
  • ABabilonia
    Good for you! Races are addicting..

Thanks, yeah, I agree with you. I actually enrolled for a 5K in both July and August, a 5K Terrain Race in September, and a 10K in October :)
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    That's brilliant, and what a fast time!! Amazing difference between what you were hoping for and what you did!

I did my first 5k a couple of weeks ago and also surprised myself by going significantly faster than I had before (i got 31.04 and was expecting over 36). Like you, I think some kind of stubborn pride must have kicked in. I did feel like I was going to die at one point going uphill!
    I'm also mid thirties and I've never done anything remotely sporty before so it's a real feeling of accomplishment.

Congrats and good luck with the 10k training :)
  • ABabilonia
    smal48 wrote: »
    That's brilliant, and what a fast time!! Amazing difference between what you were hoping for and what you did!

I did my first 5k a couple of weeks ago and also surprised myself by going significantly faster than I had before (i got 31.04 and was expecting over 36). Like you, I think some kind of stubborn pride must have kicked in. I did feel like I was going to die at one point going uphill!
    I'm also mid thirties and I've never done anything remotely sporty before so it's a real feeling of accomplishment.

Congrats and good luck with the 10k training :)

Thanks :) 31 is also a amazing time, good job in your accomplishment. Do you have any other 5Ks planned throughout the year? Just like mandabeth34 said races become addictive
  • mirelaavdich
    mirelaavdich Posts: 41 Member
    Congratulations!!

I too am in my mid thirties and just ran my first 5K two weeks ago in a very unexpected time. Now I am training for a 5K in October. Seems like we have a same timeline :)
  • ABabilonia
    Congratulations!!

I too am in my mid thirties and just ran my first 5K two weeks ago in a very unexpected time. Now I am training for a 5K in October. Seems like we have a same timeline :)

Good job. Congrats on your 5K and good luck in your upcoming race, are you using the C25K program too?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    That's fantastic! I ran my first 5K in my mid-40s after decades of being sedentary. It was a huge accomplishment and a real boost to who I thought I was... I ran a couple more and then decided to use 10K runner to train for a 10K and it was great. Now 10K is my go-to. I can't run as often as I used to, but getting 6 miles every Sunday with my sister is a really fun part of my overall fitness plan.

OP, keep it up! You should bask in the pride :)
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Which 10k runner did you use? I regularly run 8k (at least twice a week) plus either a longer run of 13k or a long bike ride as well. The 13k is a bit of struggle in as much my legs really feel it afterwards.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Which 10k runner did you use? I regularly run 8k (at least twice a week) plus either a longer run of 13k or a long bike ride as well. The 13k is a bit of struggle in as much my legs really feel it afterwards.

Try running slower on your 13k
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Congrats. That is a great time for your first 5K. I ran my first (at 50 yo) in Feb and finished in 35 min. I have since run two more and the last one at the beginning of May I finished under 28:00. Most of my improved time was due to a loss of 30 lbs between Feb and now.

I now find I cannot wait to run again, but I have to take a break between days or my 50 year old joints really feel it. Hopefully as I continue to lose weight this will also improve. My goal is to run a 10K by the end of the year. Good luck in your future races.
  • katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Yay you!!!
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Great story! I am just getting back to C25K after foot surgery this winter. Aiming for a 5K in August while on vacation on the other side of the country. Couldn't just keep it simple, I guess. But on the bright side, the 5K will take place at about 4,000 ft lower than where I live. That should help. :)
  • mirelaavdich
    mirelaavdich Posts: 41 Member
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    Congratulations!!

Good job. Congrats on your 5K and good luck in your upcoming race, are you using the C25K program too?

Yes, I love the C25K program! And I meant I am training for a 10K in October :smile:
  • ABabilonia
    Great inspirational​ stories everyone. The moral of the story is that if we put our minds and efforts into something we can achieve anything. Few months back I couldn't even run five minutes straight because of some sciatic nerve pain, so running a 5K was a big milestone for me as it was probably a big milestone for some of the posters here, to all you congrats, and keep up the good work. A few more 5Ks for me, and 10K here I come :D. BTW I will be using the 10K app from ZenLabs, that company is so amazing...
  • TristaOnTrack
    TristaOnTrack Posts: 64 Member
    That's awesome! Great job!
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    So cool!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    That's awesome! Great job! :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!