Stupid (?) question: logging activity vs normal activity

mortuseon_
mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
Hi,

I was wondering when to log activity, and when it is considered part of my daily activity level accounted for by the MFP goal. I log running workouts, for example, although I told MFP I'd be working out 3x/week. Does that mean I shouldn't log them? Similarly, I went for a long (2.5hrs) walk today, which is more than twice what I'd normally walk in a day. Is it therefore worth logging the 'extra' 1.5hrs or so, or does walking, regardless of length, still fall within the 'lightly active' bracket?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Just want to make sure I'm doing things accurately.

Thanks!

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    What do you currently have your MFP activity level set on?
  • mortuseon_
    It's currently on 'lightly active', as I normally walk for at least an hour about 5 times a week as part of my daily activity. I did slightly increase my calorie intake manually, though (from 1340 to 1500), because I think it will be easier to sustain, at least for now. Not sure if that complicates things.
  • mortuseon_
    bump!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    MFP doesn't do anything with those workouts you told it you would do. You can say you plan to work out 1 time a week or 100 - it would have no affect on the numbers because MFP assumes you add exercise separate. Now if you're also counting the runs in your lightly active selection then that's where you'd have to decide to log extra or not. That's not the way MFP is designed but you're free to use it however works best for you.
  • mortuseon_
    MFP doesn't do anything with those workouts you told it you would do. You can say you plan to work out 1 time a week or 100 - it would have no affect on the numbers because MFP assumes you add exercise separate. Now if you're also counting the runs in your lightly active selection then that's where you'd have to decide to log extra or not. That's not the way MFP is designed but you're free to use it however works best for you.

Thank you, that's helpful!
  • mortuseon_
    @AnnPT77 Thank you for the patient and comprehensive reply, it helps a lot :smiley:
  • Jordan_Demelo77
    Jordan_Demelo77 Posts: 13 Member
    You have to set it based off your lifestyle when you are not excersicing. I could excersice a lot but mostly I am at school or on my computer so I set it to not very active and then add in my excersices I do
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    As I have a desk job, I have my activity level set at sedentary. This assures that I don't unknowingly exceed the amount of calories needed in order to maintain my weight goals.

Any purposeful exercise either gets accounted for by my Fitbit if it's step-based, or entered manually by me as it occurs. For me, this is the most accurate method. :)