Fat and 50

Options
AJuff
AJuff Posts: 12 Member
Well as the title says I'm fat and 50. I need to loose 1st 3lb to get to 'normal' weight range. I work full time in a stressy job, manage two bodypump classes a week and can fit in a walk after dinner. My biggest difficulty is sugar, I'm an addict. Anyone out there who would like to offer support and inspiration?

Replies

• MountainMutt
    MountainMutt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Fat and 45 lol Sugar is a nasty habit. Good luck with your weight loss
  • GingerSnaps718
    GingerSnaps718 Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You have to loose 3lbs?
  • mtague7733
    mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree thst the sugar thing is really hard. I do fine if i stay completely off it,but then i get some bad emotion thing going and i slip...then it takes awhile to get back on track again.
    I think we can all help each other!
  • GingerSnaps718
    Options
    Hi! I feel your pain. I have the same challenge. What works for me changing my mind about how to do this weight thing. I came to terms with the fact that it has to be a long term process or lifestyle change. It is not going to come off overnight. I did not gain it overnight.

Secondly, small changes implemented consistently go a long way to bringing about good results. For instance instead of having dessert or something sweet 2 times a day, have it once a day for a while then cut back to every other day and so on until you get it under control. Find a good substitute that is not so many calories. The intense exercise may not be the answer to stress. Keep exercising but also take time to get quiet. Figure out why you are eating. Sometimes we eat because our emotions are out of whack. Sit down with yourself to release and acknowledge those feeling. Then think about what you can do if anything to change your situation if needed.
    I Have learned that It is the weight on our soul that keeps the weight on our bodies. Also learned that weight management is a life long commitment to changing my thoughts about my life and food which in turn changes my behavior about the same.

Peace & Perseverance!
  • GingerSnaps718
    Options
    I have lost 32 lbs. It is was one of the hardest things. I am overcoming being an emotional eater. Learning how to manage the ups and downs of life without overeating.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You have to loose 3lbs?

1 stone and 3 pounds = 14 pounds + 3 pounds = 17 pounds
  • GingerSnaps718
    Options
    Oh. Ok. Thanks.
  • dewolfe001
    dewolfe001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    a) you can do this.
    b) sugar is an addictive substance (it's not hyperboly). Going through sugar withdrawal is hard. If you can white knuckle it for two weeks, you can get past the worst of this. In the meanwhile, natural sugar alternatives (honey, fruit and the like) could give your body what it needs.

What @pita7317 said is very true.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Many people would not consider 17 pounds above a normal weight range to be all that "fat", but of course we all live in our own bodies and have our own perceptions. I've spent a good portion of my 50's at a little above normal weight range and didn't feel all that fat, but I did want to be more fit. The resulting improved fitness also came with some weight loss and that's a win-win!

I've dropped a bit over 20 lbs just eating at a small deficit and increasing exercise for the past year or so. Use the food diary and do your best not to go over your allotted calories for the day. As far as sugar addiction, you can beat it. Just don't eat it! Or only on rare occasions if you know it is a problem for you. Or get creative and make lower calorie sweet treats. There's tons of recipes on the internet for variations of favorite goodies. My weakness is salty, crunchy snacks like chips and crackers, so I try to avoid those as much as possible. However, when I do indulge I actually count the number of chips for a serving, put them in a bowl and put the bag/box away.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Many people would not consider 17 pounds above a normal weight range to be all that "fat", but of course we all live in our own bodies and have our own perceptions. I've spent a good portion of my 50's at a little above normal weight range and didn't feel all that fat, but I did want to be more fit. The resulting improved fitness also came with some weight loss and that's a win-win!...

True. But it's probably best to nip it in the bud BEFORE you get to 25, 50, 100+ pounds overweight. It's easier that way. I've never actually technically been overweight, but as I aged I started creeping closer to the boundaries. My weight was medically "acceptable," but it wasn't ideal anymore. That's why I came here to MFP to stop that upward creep BEFORE it became a problem! :D

I like your motivation to be more fit! That's my main motivation now that I'm maintaining and don't really worry so much about weight. I always like to be working on a goal, and fitness is a life-long endeavor! B)
  • Scmeemaw
    Scmeemaw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am fat and 67. There I said it. I usually say I am overweight not fat. I cannot deny it anymore, I am plain ole fat. I crave sweets also. I have switched up and started eating more natural fruit. I joined a senior citizens center and we exercise three days a week. These are mostly chair exercises using weights and flexbands. Yes, you can get a workout exercising from a chair. My motivation to lose this year is due to my 22 year old granddaughter that is a senior in college is getting married in July. She has known me as a overweight grandmother all her life. So I started this weight loss journey January 19. I am proud to say I have loss twenty pounds. May not seem as a big weight loss to you but it was a Hugh hurdle for me. I have had atrial fibrillation for the past five years and did not feel like exercising because they keep your heart rate low thus leaving you very fatigued. I had two radio frequency ablations to alleviate the A-Fib. I have started getting more energy so the time was right to re-invent myself. Yes, it is an uphill climb everyday but we are all worth it. God made us all unique in our own special way. We need to love ourselves first and say we are worthy. Much success on your weight loss journey. We must build each other up with courage, it takes a village. I am ready for the challenge. Are you? God Bless!
  • GingerSnaps718
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Scmeemaw Wonderful!!!! Keep up the good work. Praying you continue on the path you are now.
    Peace & Perseverance!