Does anyone else...

Options
FireTurtle75
FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
edited May 2017 in Chit-Chat
Does anyone else grow their own produce? I grew up on a farm & we grew a lot of our own. One thing I have never gotten enjoyed is store bought tomatoes after eating home grown tomatoes. Store bought are just sad and flavorless in comparison. So I try to grow some of my own every year. It's nice because they usually start coming in around prime grilling weather & they go great on burgers & in other stuff. They are also sweet enough to eat alone with just a bit of salt on them. If I had more space, I would do cucumbers, squash & zucchini too, but I don't in my tiny yard. It has me thinking about ripping out the decorative bushes along the back fence to throw a bunch more plants in next year.

Anyone else grow some of your own?

Here's some of the Romas & San Marzanos that have ripened, still waiting on my rugers selects to ripen.
ajv8f5g5e08t.jpg

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The next door neighbors grow enough that they creep into my yard. I get free Roma tomatoes, jalapeno and sweet peppers every year..

But honestly their garden is a nuisance cause moles bur under my ground each year and it tears up my yard.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Me!

This year I'm growing carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes and beans. They won't be ready for another two months yet though. Also have some herbs growing and have an elderflower tree in my garden that I'll use to make elderflower cordial with when it starts to flower.

My garden is pretty small, I have this book about growing in small spaces, I'll dig it out and show you if you like? Was really helpful.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Right now my japanese eggplant are starting to grow. My cherry tomatos. I already had 2 harvests of artichokes. I have some strawberries, and kumquats. This is in my backyard.

I'm a farmers daughter. And never would buy fruit at the grocery store. We grew wine, table, & raisin grapes. Plums, nectarines, apricots, pomegranates, almonds. Our foreman used to grow organic cantalopes. I never tasted better cantalopes than his. There was also two kinds of persimmon trees, and mandrin orange trees.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    Me!

This year I'm growing carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes and beans. They won't be ready for another two months yet though. Also have some herbs growing and have an elderflower tree in my garden that I'll use to make elderflower cordial with when it starts to flower.

My garden is pretty small, I have this book about growing in small spaces, I'll dig it out and show you if you like? Was really helpful.

Oooh. I want to try your cordial! :p
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    The next door neighbors grow enough that they creep into my yard. I get free Roma tomatoes, jalapeno and sweet peppers every year..

But honestly their garden is a nuisance cause moles bur under my ground each year and it tears up my yard.

Score bonus! :)
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    Does anyone else grow their own produce? I grew up on a farm & we grew a lot of our own. One thing I have never gotten enjoyed is store bought tomatoes after eating home grown tomatoes. Store bought are just sad and flavorless in comparison. So I try to grow some of my own every year. It's nice because they usually start coming in around prime grilling weather & they go great on burgers & in other stuff. They are also sweet enough to eat alone with just a bit of salt on them. If I had more space, I would do cucumbers, squash & zucchini too, but I don't in my tiny yard. It has me thinking about ripping out the decorative bushes along the back fence to throw a bunch more plants in next year.

Anyone else grow some of your own?

Here's some of the Romas & San Marzanos that have ripened, still waiting on my rugers selects to ripen.
    ajv8f5g5e08t.jpg

Pretty!! :)
  • LittleLionHeart1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'll be right back with a picture from a couple years ago. I grew some weirdass tomatos.
    hrrhxgvktq4f.jpgvcfkdd8qlcic.jpg7gaw5i25eiwm.jpg

• FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I live in the middle of farm town nowhere. One of my goals is to have my own garden. Only reason I haven't yet is because the spring of 2015 and spring of 2016 when I could have done it I was pregnant and miserable, and then had a new baby... This year I just forgot to contact the person who said they'd plow me a patch to start it. Maybe next year! I think it's a great thing to do.

I get lots of fresh produce from the farmers and gardeners around here, though. And what I'm not given, I find at farmers markets. :)
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    Here some other things I've grown.
    0jtlc3x541zs.jpgxc4jeepctkio.jpgsydv7anvdxod.jpg

• LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    4x06sb19i9h5.jpg
    Nice damn lemons! Hahah!! :D
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    jj67o4bwimd0.jpg4djuwsxyvpgd.jpg1x7aeqq8g4j6.jpg5zxfpy7m4fq5.jpgu5mw0y5ji9le.jpg

• FireTurtle75
    Options
    Is the book Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew by any chance? Excellent book if so. I have the original version. He republished with some good updates.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    aye i grows stuff, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, peppers, lettuce, leeks, carrots and sweetcorn. i think that's all of it. I dont always have the time though so its all very basic.
  • FireTurtle75
    edited May 2017
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »
    I'll be right back with a picture from a couple years ago. I grew some weirdass tomatos.

Looks like Cherokee Purple Heirlooms. I've heard those are very tasty, but I've never tried them before. Looks like they went through a dry spell & then caught a heavy stretch of abundant water & almost split. We have that problem here in Texas if it's really hot & you don't stay on top of watering. Even missing 2 days in a row can make them burst when you start to water again.
    Yeth, I do on my property in New Zealand. I come from a long line of gardeners. Phytonutrient partaytay!
    OMG! I love rainbow carrots. That's what they call them here at the organic store. The only place I can ever find them & even that is rare. These will make yo realize how pitiful the flavor of the average orange carrots we find in the store over here are.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Cherry tomatoes, jalapeños, habaneros, bell peppers, basil, parsley, mint, chives, rosemary, and Swiss chard this year.

We also have a small blueberry bush and a raspberry cutting that's growing, but will be awhile before producing much.
  • FireTurtle75
    Options
    I have a handful of carrots growing under my tomato plants & also in the planter with my red delicious apple tree that I'm not supposed to have in my HOA.
  • mtague7733
    mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Me too! Just Moved to SW florida and planted raised beds in felt bags (cheap and wonderful from amazon). I'M USING MELS MIX and experimenting with lots of veggies and fruit trees. Gardening down here is a whole other deal, but I'm learning. Lots of fun hanging out with my cat and dog in the garden.....they Love it here.... so much better than a cold Boston condo!
  • FireTurtle75
    Options
    Congrats on your move. You will probably have a nice long growing season there in Florida.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    Yeth, I do on my property in New Zealand. I come from a long line of gardeners. Phytonutrient partaytay!

waa4u5n1cvs2.jpg

Beautiful! :)