Should I lose more weight before bodybuilding? Pics

JVRousseau
JVRousseau Posts: 4 Member
Hey there, new to this forum. Over the past year I've lost 60+lbs.

I currently weigh 138lbs and I'm 5'3. I have some chub around my body and would like to look more toned and athletic.

I'm confused because I've read online that if you have fat on your body and gain muscle, your muscle will just be hidden by the fat. But does that only apply to people with a lot of extra weight? Obviously, if I were to bodybuild back when I was 200lbs, I wouldn't notice muscle definition, but could I notice it now at 138lbs?

I added pictures below of my body currently. Hopefully some of you can give me better advice, since I'm totally new to the bodybuilding topic. Thank you so much for your help (:

fkplh4qkuve3.jpg
agnkaioppmv4.jpg

Replies

• cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Don't wait. The longer you wait the less progress you'll make. Start now and be thrilled making yourself hurt.
  • smcfetridge8
    smcfetridge8 Posts: 2 Member
    For weightlifting, you should lift between 12 reps and up for muscular endurance. If you are looking to make you muscles pop out or get bigger muscles your rep range between 8-12 reps, this is called hypertrophy training. Choose a weight that will make you full out fatigue in those rep ranges.

For a cardio program, aim to do long, steady training at a Heart rate range between 50-65% of your age-predicted heart rate max.

*Your age-predicted heart rate max is 220-(your age).

Talk to a nutritionist if you wish to improve your diet in order to reach your goals.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    You look to be close to where I started out. You could be pretty ripped in 3-6 months (if that's what you wanted) keeping a slight deficit, protein high and a progressive lifting program.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Yep, find a program and lift while in a slight deficit. I like stronglifts 5x5, but there are other good ones.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    You look to be close to where I started out. You could be pretty ripped in 3-6 months (if that's what you wanted) keeping a slight deficit, protein high and a progressive lifting program.

I'm following this thread because I'm similar-ish to OP - which lifting programme did you use, out of interest? And protein/carb/fat ratios? Sorry to bother you :)
  • lovebirb
    lovebirb Posts: 52 Member
    Lift now!! It is truly life changing. Wish I had began my lifting program so much earlier than I had.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    mortuseon_ wrote: »

I'm following this thread because I'm similar-ish to OP - which lifting programme did you use, out of interest? And protein/carb/fat ratios? Sorry to bother you :)

I did Body for Life with a macro split of 40/20/40 P/F/C. I'm running Wendler's 5/3/1 right now and not logging my food. I just keep a running track of my protein in my head.

I've posted these in older threads, but the first collage is my BFL progress. The second is after a year. I gained some weight back, but not a big difference.

• mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    @mom23mangos Thank you, that's helpful, and your photos are really inspiring!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    To echo the others, yes definitely start lifting as soon as possible! Lifting during your entire weight loss journey helps retain muscle to help your body composition when you get to goal.

For example....after my first pregnancy I lost my baby weight without lifting (without exercise at all actually) and while I didn't look bad, I wasn't at the body composition I was happy with.

My second pregnancy was different, I lifted during and as soon as I was cleared and phew what a difference it made.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Ditto start lifting now, you'll never look back. Good luck and I hope you smash it.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    a study on weight loss result of a group of 200lbs+ people shows that up to 24% of muscle mass was lost for the people who.didnt lift n next to no muscle mass loss for people who lift

so lift asap :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    You look good. Lift with a structured program and a slight deficit.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    I was 200 lbs when I started resistance training/strength training (15 lbs down from my highest) And I noticed the changes even at that weight. I'm 179 now and I look better than I ever have at this weight. Once I get to my goal weight of 140 I'll already be toned and it'll look much better than if I had just lost the weight and not toned up. You can tone up and lost fat at the same time. Make sure a majority of your calories are coming from protein and only have a small deficit.