How many calories is needed to get ripped for male 5ft 11 ,150 pounds on 13.9 % body fat

How many calories is needed to get ripped for male with 5ft 11 ,150 pounds on 13.9 % body fat?

Daily protein intake ?
Daily carb intake ?
I m maintaining 1500 calorie diet but I m worried about eating excessive protein .
How many Calories should be burnt in gym ?

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    There are some online estimators for minimum recommended protein and fat (for instance https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm). I think the widely used general guideline is 0.8 g/lb mass (more if you are trying to bulk). If you are trying to 'get ripped', you'll want to eat (significantly) more than the bare subsistance minimum number of calories for a male, especially since you are not overweight. The site you are currently on (MFP) has estimators for calorie intake. Cardio is good for physical endurance, but not important to your listed goal - for that, you need to basically eat more and lift heavy stuff.
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Hi Fibo ,

Thanks for your reply .

Yes my low calorie intake has caused me to drop waiste size from 33 to 31 . Looks like I need to increase the carbs which is around 2000 and then protein to (1.2*150 pounds) =180 grams per day .

Thanks for your almost accurate guidance .
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Use protein to help you get down to your preferred body fat goal 1 gram/lb body weight is fine for this (a bit more or less is ok too), it helps maintain your muscle mass and keep you satiated so you can meet your calorie goals.

Get down to a body fat around 12%, then you can begin to bulk up with a structured progressive overload weightlifting routine. You can then start to increase your calories slowly over a few weeks by increasing the carbs and fat however you like. Bulk up to around 15% body fat and then cut again. Most important thing is to start, and keep lifting heavy things, then heavier things, put them down, lift the heavier ones up again :)
  • MassarDv
    Thanks Rusty . Looks like I would have to keep eating protein to get ripped . I like your strategy it's interesting
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    *kitten* eating, you need to lift, man! Or, take up long distance running and stay thin. Your choice.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    MassarDv wrote: »
    How many calories is needed to get ripped for male with 5ft 11 ,150 pounds on 13.9 % body fat?

Daily protein intake ?
    Daily carb intake ?
    I m maintaining 1500 calorie diet but I m worried about eating excessive protein .
    How many Calories should be burnt in gym ?

1 gram/1lb body weight

What ever you want once you filled P & F.

Why worried? Hardly a lot by any standards.

What ever cals it takes for you to complete your weight training. You probably can use 35lbs before you need to worry about calorie burns.
  • MassarDv
    Thanks all for your inputs . Looks like I need to lift heavy and eat more protein to get to where I want .
    Let's see in few weeks I will update my progress .
    But one thing I want to let you know guys that when I went for 1500 calorie diet, I did really lost my waiste size and stomach got much flatter but yes I lost a lot of body weight . But I have preserved my hard earned muscles . I wish I had known this fact of eating more protein and lifting heavy earlier I would have hit the 11 -12 percent body fat mark .
    I love Greg Plitt's body and his vascularity and muscle striations but I would prefer to have a leaner version of him so that I can wear all types of clothes .
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Please tell me you don't follow any of the advice Greg Plitt used to give. His programs and nutrition were absolute garbage. No offense to the dead, but man he shared bogus information.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Please tell me you don't follow any of the advice Greg Plitt used to give. His programs and nutrition were absolute garbage. No offense to the dead, but man he shared bogus information.

This! Greg Plitt had a great physique but his information was absolute garbage. He was an advocate of liquid diets for a while.