Gallbladder Problems - Low Fat Diet

Options
I've just found out from my doctor that I need my gallbladder removed and recommended I stay away from fatty foods. Can anyone recommend good articles about what a low-fat diet is, how one can make low-fat meals, when eating out what is my best option for a low-fat meal, how I can determine what is "high-fat," etc. I'm really just looking to educate myself more about my situation. So far I've been told my ideal meal has only 3 grams of fat per 100 g of food. I would really appreciate any suggestion on some good articles I could read (or Youtube videos).

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your body. I could eat nuts all day with no issues, but the slightest amount of cheese was too much.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person... but my fiance had his gallbladder removed and he actually follows a low-carb high-fat diet now. His doctor recommended it and he has absolutely no problems with eating high-fat without his gallbladder. That's just my two cents, I'm not saying you should do the same - but find what works best for you and makes you feel good. Low-fat isn't always the answer!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor, since he recommended a low fat diet, not help you or give you guidance?

I'd stay away from any advice to do anything differently since this was the path your doctor recommended.

I'm also on a low fat diet due to health issues.

I don't have any web sites or sources, I just know to stick to low fat sources of protein (I'm a vegetarian, so that means low fat dairy and limiting whole eggs). For you, that would mean lean meats, white fish, low fat dairy, and beans. Watch how much added fat you get, cut back on your cooking oil significantly and utilize cooking spray for example. Also watch your saturated fat intake.

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My hubby had his gallbladder removed a couple of years ago and also got the fatty foods talk. It hasnt stopped some of his less than desireable eating habits, and he hasnt suffered a bit. But everyone is individual - you may have to do some experimentation after surgery to discover what you can and cannot tolerate foodwise.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    hilarypech wrote: »
    I've just found out from my doctor that I need my gallbladder removed and recommended I stay away from fatty foods. Can anyone recommend good articles about what a low-fat diet is, how one can make low-fat meals, when eating out what is my best option for a low-fat meal, how I can determine what is "high-fat," etc. I'm really just looking to educate myself more about my situation. So far I've been told my ideal meal has only 3 grams of fat per 100 g of food. I would really appreciate any suggestion on some good articles I could read (or Youtube videos).

Did your doctor also refer you to a Registered Dietician? If your insurance will pay for it, this may be the best way to get advice for your particular situation.

Low fat diets are considered to be 20% of your total calorie count. Go into the MFP custom set up and play with your percentages of the 3 macros to figure out how many grams that would be per day.

I had my gallbladder out a year ago. I find that the biggest help in preventing unfortunate gastric events is to eat at least 30 grams of fiber per day. I do not need to drop my fat as much if I do that. Everyone will be different and many find that they have no issues at all as their system gets used to the changes.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    A quick google search will tell you what foods are recommended and what aren't. I had gallbladder issues, and I just figured out what I could eat and what I couldn't by trial and error. Before the internet.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Please note, those responding, she hasn't had the surgery yet so offering anecdotal post surgery eat all the fats advice isn't really helpful.

I believe there are resources online for just this sort of thing. You could possibly also just start looking at ready meal and packaged food labels to see what their fat content is just to give you a better overall idea. Main things would be to avoid oily and creamy dressings, fatty cuts of meat, things cooked in butter or oil (probably a big one eating out).