Anyone training for a marathon/ half-marathon?

Options
Hello!
I'm currently training for a marathon and was wondering if anyone is in the same situation? If you are please add me :)
I need advice on how to stay within your macros when your a long distance runner, because for me, it's very difficult. I'm always hungry :(
Thank you :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm half marathon training, as soon as I shake off this injury I'm carrying. And completed my last one on 14th of this month.

I can't run more than 100 cal deficit once my long runs get into double figures due to the runger.

Adequate fat and protein help me though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    silkennash wrote: »
    ... wondering if anyone is in the same situation?

I've got a trail marathon in 4 weeks, then another in July, a 12 hour and marathon in August, one in October and a Full and Half in December. I might do a 12 hour in early July as well.

I did a 12hour three weeks ago and completed a marathon during the race, then a 10K that night.
    I need advice on how to stay within your macros when your a long distance runner, because for me, it's very difficult. I'm always hungry

I'm probably not a good example of how to do that; fueled by burgers, pizza and IPA...
  • silkennash
    silkennash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yah, I don't understand how you can be a better runner though if your not losing weight though....
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Define better?

I'm about 160lbs, and when I'm racing I'm carrying anything from 1-3 litres of fluids plus some essential kit. According to Fitzgerald my racing weight should be 135lbs, which would place me in a fairly unhealthy place were I to sustain that. Between 155-165 is about right for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    silkennash wrote: »
    Yah, I don't understand how you can be a better runner though if your not losing weight though....

I think that depends on your current weight?

I am only trying to lose vanity pounds at this stage, so my weight doesn't have a massive impact on my running.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I ran a marathon a few weeks ago and I will start training for a fall marathon in a few weeks (long slow build up since it will be hot and humid all summer here). I have one more race before I start this weekend (Ragnar Relay).

Any weight I will lose will happen between now and the first couple weeks of training. After that is is all about getting enough fuel to keep going strong. If anything, I'll struggle to maintain my weight and have to focus on eating enough. Even though I get 'rungry' :D it is still sometimes not enough.

FWIW, I do play to drop about 5 pounds in June-July.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I can say I'm currently training for a marathon, because the plan pointing at Rochester Marathon started yesterday. I ran a half marathon on Saturday, and had to pay attention to control my intake that day; but that's pretty normal for me. One day does not make or break a nutrition plan.

Longer term, I find I need to eat enough protein and fiber to feel satisfied, but not so much fiber that it causes issues on my long runs. That can be a difficult balance, and mistakes are made learning where the balance should be.

Other than that . . . I target a minimum of 62 grams of fat and a minimum of 150 grams of protein each day, and don't really care where the carbs come in. I try to keep fiber below 60 grams (below 50 would be better, but that's pretty hard when I always want an apple or banana to fill needed calories.) And I ignore the MFP calculations on how much I should eat, because they aren't right for me. I figure a base line to keep the weight trending sideways, and make adjustments upward for how much I run. The upward adjustments are *much* smaller than the calories Garmin claims I burn, but the baseline is higher than what MFP says I need to maintain.

To put the grams in perspective, my current baseline for marathon training is 3200 calories per day. I about freaked out the first time I saw I needed over 3000 calories a day to keep from losing too much weight, but I do what I have to do to maintain the weight and support the running. Even with this generous allowance, it's possible to eat too much and gain weight; I can't out-run an excessive diet.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble maintaining weight (and even losing a few pounds) during marathon training. I lost 16 pounds during my last cycle, though I was only aiming to lose 8. At 40-50 miles a week, I can eat pretty much whatever I want. If I'm hungry, I eat. On rest days, I eat less and don't worry if I'm a little over because I know that I am sometimes a bit under on my MLR and LR days. It isn't until the end, when I'm tapering and then post race when I'm trying to recover and not running much, that I have a problem with adding a few pounds. After my last marathon, I kept the weight off by being very careful, so I know it is possible for me.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am trading for a spartan beast which is 13-15 miles. I try to eat clean but have a sugar problem. I also have a very sensitive tummy. Carbs from sugar don't bother me so I guess that has something to do with it. I do try to eat a lot of fat, and I want to loss 15 pounds. Race is September 16 but I have a couple shorter ones in-between.
  • welslo01
    welslo01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Big tip - nothing new on race day (and the day before). Eat the same things you eat night before and day of the run. Will help avoid stomach "issues" during the run
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have 2 trail ultras this summer. I'll drop a few pounds in preparation for them. When I was doing marathon training, I drop a ton of weight and have to eat a lot of calorie dense foods to keep from dropping too much.