Strength training or cardio to get the weight off?

Just wondering everyone's experiences and recommendations. I'm looking to lose 50-60 more lbs, and I'm more focused on getting the weight off right now than I am toning, but I also hear strength training burns more calories than cardio. I hired a personal trainer for strength training but I wonder if it would be better to wait for that ($$$).

What's your experience with trying to lose the weight first, then focusing on toning? Or should I be doing both at the same time? Does strength training expedite the weight loss?

Replies

• Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    I'm not an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Strength training during weight loss is always good. Without it, you are likely to lose some muscle along with the fat loss. Increased muscle also requires more calories to maintain, so you will have a higher BMR the more muscle you have. However, if you are eating at a deficit, you're unlikely to build much muscle, so I don't think a significant change to your BMR is likely during weight loss. I've also heard people say that strength training increases your metabolism, but I haven't researched whether or not there's any science behind that. (Hopefully someone with more knowledge can weigh in.)

Given those things, cardio burns more calories and if all you care about is the number on the scale, then cardio is likely to have a bigger effect, so if your question is about splitting your time between cardio and strength training, that's probably your answer. That being said, as for the personal trainer, there's still plenty of reasons to choose a strength training personal trainer. You can do cardio on your own. Jogging, walking, running can all be done on your own without any coaching. There are plenty of youtube and other free videos for other cardio workouts. But for strength training, a personal trainer can be helpful to help you design a routine and to correct your form. So if your choice is personal trainer for cardio or personal trainer for strength training, I say strength training. If your choice is personal trainer (for strength training) now or save the money to hire one after you've lost weight, I still say hire one now. There's no reason not to start strength training now and you can learn a good routine and proper form if you can't stick with that trainer forever.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Definitely strength training. You want to lose as little muscle as possible as you lose weight. Cardio can be fun (if you enjoy what you're doing) and you get to eat a little more.

Weight lifting is where it's at.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Cardio burns more calories than strength training, though adding some strength training will help preserve muscle.

Personally, I would hold off on the trainer. Start a simple strength training program on your own, even if it is body weight exercises or a circuit of machines at the gym. Add in lots of cardio. Once you get to the point where you have lost a good amount of weight and are switching the focus to strength, if you don't feel you are progressing as you would like to with the strength training you can hire someone then to help you improve (though there are many great books and websites that will give you the same guidance for little or no money.)
  • Angela_does_zumba
    Angela_does_zumba Posts: 31 Member
    I'm a group fitness trainer. I HIGHLY (VERY HIGHLY) recommend a combination of both so that way you don't lose muscle while losing fat. Yes, more muscle burns more calories. Don't neglect cardio though because cardio helps improve your performance in strength training as well as providing a whole lot of other benefits. I cannot suggest to you how frequent you should do cardio and strength training because you have to find what works for you, what makes you feel comfortable, etc. Find anything that challenges your body and can keep you being consistent. Also remember that your eating matters a whole lot too.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Not to hijack this thread, but what should you do if you can't really do strength training?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    Not to hijack this thread, but what should you do if you can't really do strength training?

It is physical limitations or equipment? There are many modifications you can do and bodyweight workouts if you don't have access to a gym
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    lucypstacy wrote: »

It is physical limitations or equipment? There are many modifications you can do and bodyweight workouts if you don't have access to a gym

Physical limitations. I have ehlers danlos hypermobility type. I can't put stress on my joints because I dislocate extremely easily. I have no ligaments in my right knee right now because I tore all of this by stepping backwards while turning.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Eating in a deficit is where one loses weight.

Lifting should be done in attempt to retain muscle otherwise losing more muscle will more than likely not give to the "tone" look.

In general cardio burns more calories than lifting, once again I would focus on your caloric intake, not you activity at first.

I would only hire a strength trainer that has a successful track record that fits my goals. One that I can actually see resulrs, not just hear.
  • MoiAussi93
    filbo132 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Cardio burns more calories than strength training, though adding some strength training will help preserve muscle.

Personally, I would hold off on the trainer. Start a simple strength training program on your own, even if it is body weight exercises or a circuit of machines at the gym. Add in lots of cardio. Once you get to the point where you have lost a good amount of weight and are switching the focus to strength, if you don't feel you are progressing as you would like to with the strength training you can hire someone then to help you improve (though there are many great books and websites that will give you the same guidance for little or no money.)

Cardio is not essential for weight loss, it's only a tool to help you achieve your deficit. I am proof of it, I lost 25 lbs in 4 months without doing any cardio for a good 3 months . I only needed to add cardio on my last month when I didn't want to lower my calories any further. What matters most in weight loss is being in a caloric deficit, stuff like cardio, Intermittent fasting, keto diets, paleo diets or whatever diet is out there, they are all tools to be used to help one acheive a caloric deficit, but the most important thing is to know what your TDEE (aka calories that you burn per day) is and be in a deficit in order to lose weight.

I highly suggest to not go crazy, I see many women eating under 1200 calories and doing 6-7 days of cardio, that is too excessive and at one point you will get frustrated because you will hit a weight loss plateau.

I did not say cardio is essential for weight loss, so I'm not sure why you are even responding to me in this fashion. If you read the OP you would realize that we were specifically asked what we recommended in terms of exercise to help with weight loss. That is what I addressed.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I see cardio as just a way to create a calorie deficit. Weight lifting is a must if it's possible. Cardio is optional, but you can create a deficit with diet.
  • MoiAussi93
    I see cardio as just a way to create a calorie deficit. Weight lifting is a must if it's possible. Cardio is optional, but you can create a deficit with diet.

It's also important for cardiovascular health. You don't need either to lose weight. But if you want to actually be healthy, you need at least some cardio.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Both
  • Ironandwine69

It's also important for cardiovascular health. You don't need either to lose weight. But if you want to actually be healthy, you need at least some cardio.

Depending on how you lift, you can get the cardiovascular health benefits. My heart rate was through the roof this morning while doing squats and barbell lunges.
  • MoiAussi93

Depending on how you lift, you can get the cardiovascular health benefits. My heart rate was through the roof this morning while doing squats and barbell lunges.

Depending on the cardio you do, you can also get strength training benefits. Running sprints will build lower body muscle, as will hiking. I did thousands of squats and lunges, many with weights...and never developed my pancake butt. But six months of weekly hiking worked miracles...no more pancake butt for me.
  • Ironandwine69

Depending on the cardio you do, you can also get strength training benefits. Running sprints will build lower body muscle, as will hiking. I did thousands of squats and lunges, many with weights...and never developed my pancake butt. But six months of weekly hiking worked miracles...no more pancake butt for me.

Agree, I have never done hiking often enough, but yes sprints are awesome for lower body
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    right now I do 45 mins of cardio 5-6 days a week (running in intervals with walking). I do strength training once a week but my trainer is recommending more (of course he is...). I have gotten great results on my own with just cardio (down 25lbs), but I want to tone the problem areas like my flabby arms. I'm just wondering where to focus most of my activity right now until I get closer to my goal weight. I should add that although I want to lose 50-60 more lbs, my body is incredibly proportioned and I don't look at all what I weigh. People are dumbfounded when I tell them I'm 230lbs, so I mostly want to just firm it all up but I obviously have flab to get rid of first.