What % of your calorie adjustment do you eat back?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
I just started syncing my FitBit and upping my calories.... It estimates I burn 2900+ calories per day. I'm 178.8lbs and 5'4". Does this seem right? Steps per day average this week is 12,000. I don't manually log anything, even if I use the bike at the gym (which it does not track automatically).

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If this is HR-based device, you didn't mention which model - then the first week or two it's still trying to figure out you.

Where is restingHR at, where does the exercise level start so that HR-based calorie burn is used above, step-based below, how often to exercise, ect.

But the adjustment may show up on the exercise tab, as that's the easiest place to put it and deal with the math for MFP - but it's not by requirement exercise.

You could do no exercise and just be more active than MFP profile selection, and get big adjustment.
    You could do hard workout and then be really lazy, and get no adjustment.

If you trusted MFP's estimate of eating calories based on daily burn calculated from 4 rough daily activity levels and you likely guessing one, and logging workouts accurately - then you should really trust the Fitbit after the first 2 weeks - because it's actually with you seeing what you do.

There are a few tweaks to improve accuracy, and then knowing when you should manually log exercise on Fitbit for best estimate.

In otherwords after tweaking - all of them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My fitbit is accurate, but the adjustment that MFP gives me isn't (it always gives me an extra 200 calories or something). I trust the 'calories left' info on my Fitbit dashboard instead.
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I generally eat back 80-90% of the calories that I burn. This is of course after the MFP does the adjustments because the calories burned on the Fitbit app seems excessive.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I generally eat back 0-15% at most. I just don't buy that I'm burning what it (Charge2 + MFP) says (3500-4000/day) after years of self-abuse with yo-yo dieting. But it's only been a week since I got the Fitbit and linked it to MFP, so we'll see when I weigh myself. If I'm right, I will have lost around 2 lbs this week. If MFP/Fitbit is right, I should lose closer to 4 lbs. I'm pretty sure I'm correct.