Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Over-Training a myth?

Options
Rammer123
Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
Just curious on what people's thoughts are on whether or not over-training is a myth or a real thing.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Real thing
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Wouldn't lack off recovery and over train be the same thing?

I'd think so, and yes it exists.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's real. You can over train. I've injured and reinjured myself many many times that way until I wised up and realised more is not always better.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Of course it's real.

Multi-faceted as well, it's not just soreness, fatigue and declining or poor performance. Can include cardiac issues, injury, suppressed immune system etc. etc.

Not much of a debate!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I think it's less about "over training" and more about "under resting"

most people don't rest enough.

But it's definitely real- no matter which side of the coin you call it.

That being said- I'd say the bulk of people who claim over training are just tired and don't want to go. It takes a lot of effort to over train. Most people can barely get to the gym on a regular basis.

Nailed it. Most over-training is under-recovering, especially with strength training. Severe under-recovery mimics all the signs of situational depression, and it's my contention Z(unencumbered by study) that the source is exactly the same - unresolved stress.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Of course it's real. and as stated above, You're likely to overtrain your CNS, recovery, or endocrine system long before you "overtrain a muscle"

And Generally it's about under-recovery vs overtraining. It seems to hit the very inexperienced and those who have a lot of experience(and no coach/trainer) most often.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »

Ummm.. essential what over training is defined as: when training loads exceeds their recovery capacity.
    It takes a lot of effort to over train.

Not necessarily. What level of training one can recover from is entirely based on how fit they are at the time. So an individual whose been a couch potato for over 5 years can easily over train by doing nothing more then walking a mile or two every single day. But a person who repeatedly trains for ironman competitions can easily handle 1-2 hrs of intense exercise with no more then 1 rest day a week.

what one can recover from has nothing ot do with how fit they are.

I was a couch potato for years and did a lot more than walking a couple miles when I decided I was done.

I did circuit training for 30 days straight...for 30mins a day...was sore as hell.

Walked 3 miles consistently at least 5x a week as well...

based on your definition I was over training...no I wasn't as i recovered fine due to proper nutrition and sleep.

Over training is doing more than your body can recover from and there is not standard for it...everyone is different.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally I can say it's real. I've never overtrained but my bf was training 6 days/week because he was "enhanced" and thought himself invincible and tried to maximize gains. He's taken a break, increased his potassium, cleaned up his diet a bit and only trains every other day and he gets better pumps now then when he was on cycle. He's gaining again too. I *think* there is something to it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »

Ummm.. essential what over training is defined as: when training loads exceeds their recovery capacity.
    It takes a lot of effort to over train.

Not necessarily. What level of training one can recover from is entirely based on how fit they are at the time. So an individual whose been a couch potato for over 5 years can easily over train by doing nothing more then walking a mile or two every single day. But a person who repeatedly trains for ironman competitions can easily handle 1-2 hrs of intense exercise with no more then 1 rest day a week.

That's not over training.

That's over doing it because you're out of shape. "too much too fast"

over training has far more pronounced impacts.
    I agree that it isn't a fixed point. But someone who gets a membership in January and goes ham for 1 week and cripples themselves isn't over trained.

Over training (the way I see it) is long stretches of doing to much and not capable of getting the rest it needs to keep up. The body is physically capable of doing quiet a bit.

But if you go end on end- month on month- working 2 a days plus a day job- suddenly you've got a bunch of issues- that's over training. But that's the catch. If you are an athlete- and you get paid to train- and that's your job- 2 a days- and NO day job- and 8+ hours of rest (or whatever you need) with proper nutrition- you might be fine.

So to me there IS something to note as a difference. One can over train- get all the rest they need and still not recover- in which case- resting enough won't solve it- you're literally doing too much.

There is a subtle difference- or a different side of the coin. And most people never work hard enough to get to that point. They really just need more rest- and better food and it solves most of their problems.

A completely out of shape person just over doing it- just over did it- that's not over training IMHO.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald seems to think it's real, which is good enough for me.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/overtraining-overreaching-and-all-the-rest-part-1.html/
    What is Overtraining?

To get this party started, I want to present a seemingly pedantic as hell, detailed definition of the term overtraining. As you read the article, hopefully you’ll see why I went to so much trouble to define it this way:

Overtraining occurs when there is a long-term imbalance between the training load and recovery processes that, for a given athlete, leads to a decrement in performance that takes more than 2-3 weeks to return to normal.

Ok, that wasn’t so bad was it? And I’d note that I’ve seen even more tedious definitions than this, be glad I managed to get it into this few words.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald seems to think it's real, which is good enough for me.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/overtraining-overreaching-and-all-the-rest-part-1.html/
    What is Overtraining?

To get this party started, I want to present a seemingly pedantic as hell, detailed definition of the term overtraining. As you read the article, hopefully you’ll see why I went to so much trouble to define it this way:

Overtraining occurs when there is a long-term imbalance between the training load and recovery processes that, for a given athlete, leads to a decrement in performance that takes more than 2-3 weeks to return to normal.

Ok, that wasn’t so bad was it? And I’d note that I’ve seen even more tedious definitions than this, be glad I managed to get it into this few words.

That looks good. thanks.. and is pretty close to what Rippetoe has in his books