Are there any girls that look like or want to look like models?

Replies

• dubstepvideobody
    dubstepvideobody Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2017
    This is really sad if its true.
  • plainpixxel
    plainpixxel Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hey guys! I'm in my final weeks of being an engineering student. I'm crunching through my senior design but that gives me less time to exercise or post. I'm doing good at tracking and maintaining my calories though so this shouldn't be a huge setback. Wish me luck on my
    Final projects everyone!

Also @mom23mangos is totally right about Cardio exercise making your body more efficient but @dubstepvideobody that doesn't mean when you are doing cardio you aren't burning your high calorie rates. Those may decrease slightly but you still burn a lot from getting that heart pumping. Where you loose is how much you burn when not exercising. Your body will want to save that energy so it burns less. I think it balances to a certain degree but some people do get massively hungry after doing cardio. I've never had that issue but everyone is different. I usually Don't even eat after I work out I just shower and go straight to bed and eat a good breakfast in the morning. BI'm totally exhausted after a hard run. I couldn't possibly stay up lol.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Hey guys! I'm in my final weeks of being an engineering student. I'm crunching through my senior design but that gives me less time to exercise or post. I'm doing good at tracking and maintaining my calories though so this shouldn't be a huge setback. Wish me luck on my
    Final projects everyone!

Finishing PhD student here, and I have to tell you two things:
    Finishing my Bachelors, I focused on doing that. I was on the verge of breaking down mentally and I was not living healthy. I managed to do it, but I did actually not get that good grades compared to the rest of my previous studies I could have easily done better.
    Finishing my Masters, I was also stressed. I was moving at the same time. But I took care of myself, I cared about what I ate, took time to go out with friends, tried to at least walk a lot. I was perfectly relaxed (people made fun, that I did not behave like someone finishing studies at all) and I had awesome grades and an offer for a PhD later.

Now I try to finish my PhD. I recently got back to "self-care", take care more of what I am eating again and I joined the gym and go 3x a week. My work life is so stressful, but I feel good now. Before I was way more stressed, and I took it home. Now, the more stressful my day is, the more likely I go to the gym and when I leave the shower after my workout the stress is so much easier to bear.

What I wanted to say: Try to make time for your self care. It's worth it. It shows in your health and it can even show in your grades.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    @JeepHair77 - most cardio does the same for me, but swimming is the worst. I turn into a ravenous beast. Last year when I got my RMR tested, the grad student that did it was doing his thesis on long distance runners. He said it was crazy how efficient the body got at utilizing calories and it was kind of sad how little they were able to eat in comparison to how much exercise they did.

This is why I stopped running marathons. I couldn't figure out the nutrition quite right, and I was tired and still gaining weight as a result. Good to know there's an explanation; I think if I tweaked my nutrition and ate cleaner I could do them again someday.

I am 5' tall and curvy (woo DD-cups), so definitely not modelesque, but I would for sure love to be leaner and more toned. I'm hoping to get some definition in my stomach and maybe someday feel good in bodycon dresses. I just wanna look and feel hotter, lighter, more energetic... it's not PC to admit that weight loss might be motivated by a desire to look attractive, huh. Already these 5 lbs I've lost recently (on top of 13 I lost since college) have made me feel more energized and beautiful; we'll see how the next 12 lbs go!
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Good luck on all your final projects @plainpixxel !! I remember mine being a race to finish at the end lol. They took all my waking hours in the final weeks, but I'm also nowhere near as organized as you - you'll probably be much more on top of things.

Hi @timtam163 ! I feel like as long as your making healthy charges/choices in your life, people shouldn't really judge your motivation - and I'm sure plenty of people want to lose weight for appearance sake. As long as you don't make that the crux of your self worth or something like that, I don't think anyone can say there's anything wrong with that - that's a lot of the motivation behind people wearing makeup or 'flattering clothes', etc. I do think it's important that whatever your motivation, it comes from you and not an outside person pressuring you to do something.

I was toying with the idea of training for a marathon or half marathon, but I think I might stick to my 5 and 10Ks now - running for over an hour generally bores me anyway. :D
  • skymningen
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to lose weight to be more attractive.
    You need to be attractive for yourself. You will see yourself every once and again during a day and you want this to put a smile on your face.
    Also, I don't think it's wrong to aim to be attractive for your significant other. We do many other things for people we love, why not try to be attractive for them, when that mixes with being healthy and strong? And there is some personal gain for being attractive for your beloved, you know...
  • dubstepvideobody
    edited July 2017
    Honestly, the leanest people I know do a ton of cardio, esp running. It shouldnt be an excuse not to run... :wink: :D As plainpixxel said you burn the cals also!

And the not-so-leanest people I know dont do cardio. There are exceptions, but cardio makes you a burning machine... I am going for a jog now! :smiley:
  • dubstepvideobody
    edited July 2017
    skymningen wrote: »
    You need to be attractive for yourself. You will see yourself every once and again during a day and you want this to put a smile on your face.
    Also, I don't think it's wrong to aim to be attractive for your significant other. We do many other things for people we love, why not try to be attractive for them, when that mixes with being healthy and strong? And there is some personal gain for being attractive for your beloved, you know...

I am prowd of doing it for appereance :smiley: Appereance is part of my personality, the most visible part, so I make sure it is the best visit card of the inner filling:D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Honestly, the leanest people I know do a ton of cardio, esp running. It shouldnt be an excuse not to run... :wink: :D As plainpixxel said you burn the cals also!

And the not-so-leanest people I know dont do cardio. There are exceptions, but cardio makes you a burning machine... I am going for a jog now! :smiley:

I guess I am the exception because I do very little cardio haha
  • sardelsa
    Then again, my leaness is debatable :D
  • dubstepvideobody
    edited July 2017
    sardelsa wrote: »

But you workout a LOT! And intense :) And do yoga, which is also cardio. And eat up to 2500 cals to loose... So in the article it was said that intense exercise could make you more efficient. It should apply to intense weight training also, because it also ups the heart rate. Somewhere (I think on Rusty Moores site) I read that building muscles dont burn THAT much calories, more like 50 calories per 2 lbs of pure muscle, which is not that spectacular. So it has to be the activity that one does that burns more.

You are hot, sardelsa :D No matter the leanness.
  • dubstepvideobody
    Do you really know fat runners? I dont.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa wrote: »

But you workout a LOT! And intense :) And do yoga, which is also cardio. And eat up to 2500 cals to loose... So in the article it was said that intense exercise could make you more efficient. It should apply to intense weight training also, because it also ups the heart rate. Somewhere (I think on Rusty Moores site) I read that building muscles dont burn THAT much calories, more like 50 calories per 2 lbs of pure muscle, which is not that spectacular. So it has to be the activity that one does that burns more.

You are hot, sardelsa :D No matter the leanness.

Aww thanks!

I don't think the muscle itself burns that much more, but that I am actually that much heavier than before (10lbs etc)... so my body needs more calories to move and carry around the same weight.. hey I'm good with that!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited July 2017
    Oh, @dubstepvideobody - I kept meaning to reply about your mom. We do have the same translation in English. They say that if you want to know what a woman is going to look like when she ages, you just look at her mother. So it sounds like you have many hot years left. :wink:

It also made me think of the song Stacey's Mom. You are probably too young to know it, but it's really funny and the video is great. It's a spoof of Fast Times at Ridgemont High (again, old movie).

https://youtu.be/dZLfasMPOU4

• mom23mangos
    How do you get the videos to show up directly in the post?
  • mom23mangos
    timtam163 wrote: »
    I am 5' tall and curvy (woo DD-cups), so definitely not modelesque, but I would for sure love to be leaner and more toned. I'm hoping to get some definition in my stomach and maybe someday feel good in bodycon dresses. I just wanna look and feel hotter, lighter, more energetic... it's not PC to admit that weight loss might be motivated by a desire to look attractive, huh. Already these 5 lbs I've lost recently (on top of 13 I lost since college) have made me feel more energized and beautiful; we'll see how the next 12 lbs go!

skymningen wrote: »

I totally agree. Whether most admit it or not, a large portion of motivation for most people to lose weight/get in shape is to look good. To themselves and to others. Yes, we also do it for health, but I think it's probably a spectrum with age and main motivation being inversely correlated. The younger you are, the larger your motivation of appearance and the older you are, the larger the motivation of health. But, both are still present.

I struggle with balancing my perception of attractiveness with my spouses. To you point @skymningen, I want to be attractive to my spouse, but I also prefer to be a bit more muscled/lean than he likes. I want to be able to perform certain physical activities that requires that as well. We both kind of tip toe around it. He is grateful that I've never said anything about his weight (he's ranged from 170-350lbs during our marriage), and so he's said he will support me in however I want to look. But people really can't change their preferences and I don't want him to be not attracted. That viewpoint doesn't seem to be too accepted on the boards. But maybe why I've been married for almost 23 years. ;)
  • skymningen
    edited July 2017
    I struggle with balancing my perception of attractiveness with my spouses. To you point @skymningen, I want to be attractive to my spouse, but I also prefer to be a bit more muscled/lean than he likes. I want to be able to perform certain physical activities that requires that as well. We both kind of tip toe around it. He is grateful that I've never said anything about his weight (he's ranged from 170-350lbs during our marriage), and so he's said he will support me in however I want to look. But people really can't change their preferences and I don't want him to be not attracted. That viewpoint doesn't seem to be too accepted on the boards. But maybe why I've been married for almost 23 years. ;)

You can only be really attractive for someone else if you have that inner glow that being happy with yourself gives you. I strongly believe this is why pregnant woman look pretty, even though - let's be honest - they can be very much out of shape. But they have happy hormones that make them shine.

Also, maybe he will get attracted to it. I was not myself attracted to the fit female shapes that I now appreciate (not in a sexual way but in a "this is what I want to look like"-way). It changed with me being able to appreciate their strength and health and the beauty that lies in the muscle definition. I still don't want to go to extremes (for some reason I find six-packs unattractive both for woman and men), but I want to go further than I ever thought I would be able to like or imagine for myself.
    My bf also on the weekend told me on the phone that I don't need to get crazy muscular for his taste. But I guess people imagine that fitness models look like they look during a shoot all the time. They don't. I don't need to look like a fitness model during a shoot, but maybe like one during her everyday life. A lot of them look fairly 'normal healthy' then.
  • plainpixxel
    plainpixxel Posts: 57 Member

@skymningen Bless you as you finish your long journey to the elusive PhD. I'm so proud of anyone who accomplishes that. I guess I do self-care a good. I work out most days of the week and eat properly. My weakness is actually sleeping. I like to get a lot of work done in the early hours of the morning so I get up early even if I had a long night the day before. That can make me umm difficult to deal with lol.

@VictoriaTuel Thanks so much! It does feel like race and I'm so close. The only issue is my group mates. I'm organized. Them, not so much lol.

• dubstepvideobody
    edited July 2017
    Girls, i need new clothes! Everything is too big:(
    I started Strong Curves also :)
    How are you doing?