What Fitbit should I get?

Options
ashbee03
ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
I saw a girl come into my work wearing a blaze and I fell in love when she showed me.
I currently have a charge HR & wanna get a different one, this one is kind of boring but it did me well for my first Fitbit.

Opinions please!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What do you want it to be able to do for you specifically?

Much easier to give opinions based on what YOU are looking for in a device. Not what someone else wanted in a device.
    Or you'll just get a current line up of Fitbit devices that are being used.

Like - what does boring mean for a Charge HR that you don't like?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends on what features you really want. I love the HR part personally so I got the charge 2.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Is there something that's just lacking? You can see what the Charge 2 (updated model), Blaze, and Surge (the only two models above the Charge) offer that can help you.
  • ashbee03
    Options
    Just looking for people's opinions about the different ones.
    I am looking into the blaze.
    Just wondering if anybody has it what they like or don't like about it.
    I've read some reviews on it.
    But just getting a feel for what everyone likes and doesn't like about certain fitbits.

The charge HR for me was good, but I didn't like how much it stuck out from my wrist. Always got caught.
    And how the screen was so small.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have the Blaze and I do love it, that is because I wanted one device, not to have to wear a watch and a tracker. I also have the fitbit scale so wanted to remain in one ecosystem. That is why I got it. The watch faces are adaptable which are also quite nice. When I had an iphone the music controls were great, now I've switched to android they are hit and miss. but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

As others have said it depends what you want it to do.

The blaze is still quite prone on the wrist though. (picture) though it has been easier once I realised any 22mm wrist strap will fit and I got a magnetic metal one from amazon. as I got quite a bad rash from the original one.

Edit because the image was being a pain

vtmejz1is0wh.jpg
  • ashbee03
    Options
    I got the blaze!
    Thanks for all your comments.
    I like how you can change the bands as well.
    Also got screen protectors for the screen.
    Hope I love it as much as many people do!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it's funny my friends and I were just talking about this.

One has a flex and two of us have charge 2.

We all agreed the Blaze wasn't worth the extra money because there is only two things that it has that the Charge 2 doesn't have which is on screen work outs and music control ;which is not worth the extra funds (on sale 30 and regular 50$) other than it looking like an apple watch (which I think was their point)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How much do you guys pay for the Charge2, surge and Blaze?

Australia, from fitbit site.

Charge2- $249. $200 in stores
    Blaze- $369. $300 in stores
    surge- $399. $346 in stores

These are the lowest prices prices i could find.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I paid 189$ CDN for my Charge 2 at walmart...might get a flex for the waterproof aspect too which is currently on sale for 79$. The charge is on sale right now for 169$...
  • ashbee03
    Options
    I got the blaze for 199$ on sale
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have the Blaze too. The only downside is the lack of GPS, but as long as I run with my phone everything is perfect. The distance seems to be a bit off with the distances too. For example I ran 3.5 miles and the device said that I ran 3.1 miles. I love the stopwatch feature, which is really helpful for some of my routines. All and all you made a good choice. I actually got lucky and ordered mine for $149 on sale.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    How much do you guys pay for the Charge2, surge and Blaze?

Australia, from fitbit site.

Charge2- $249. $200 in stores
    Blaze- $369. $300 in stores
    surge- $399. $346 in stores

These are the lowest prices prices i could find.

Rebel Sports has the Surge on Sale for $179?

I bought my Alta HR on Amazon and used the Aus Post US address thing. Even with the exchange rate I still paid less than the $279 they want here.
  • kristelharwell
    kristelharwell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got the charge 2 and absolutely love it! Not boring at all...
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am old school but I love my alta, it gives me what inform I want I can change the bands out to match my outfits.
    Do the more expensive models track your exercise better?
  • heybales
    Options
    They certainly claim to have that improvement.

And for many non-step based type workouts - HR-based calorie burn is the next best option to estimate with.

Some are now trying to guess the start and type of workout - to remove even that headache of remembering a button press when you do one.
    Some accuracy issues there (though calorie burn per HR is still the same estimate no matter what they call it).
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I agree with others, it depends on what you want to use it for.

I needed the flex because 1) I have a smart watch that I use already for other features and 2) I found that wearing my fitbit as a watch wasn't accurate in counting my steps. If your arms aren't swinging (pushing a cart/stroller, holding a coffee cup, holding a toddlers hand etc) your steps don't count. A simple solution is you can store it in your sock or bra to get a more accurate step count, so that's what I've been doing. So for me, while I wanted a fitbit to count my steps and sync them with MFP it didn't make sense to buy a watch just to store it in my bra or in my sock :)

Long answer short my best solution was:

- Samsung Gear S2 to control my phone - answer/decline phone calls, caller ID, recieve & send texts, navigate my playlists and play/pause/skip youtube videos. It can also track heart rate if I care about that and automatically detects when I'm working out & logs my walks automatically. I only chose this because I have a Samsung phone, if you have everything apple the apple watch is probably your best bet.
    - Fitbit flex 2 to count steps

Fitbit is far, far better at tracking sleep and counting steps than anything I've ever tried. The Samsung gear doesn't track sleep automatically and doesn't sync with MFP at all. It also doesn't track stairs climbed.

I haven't tried the Fitbit Blaze yet, the only reason being is my arms are not always swinging so I don't see a point in upgrading it. Had it not relied on that I would have bought it over the Gear S2.

I really like the flex 2 because you can use the pebble in a wristband, in a necklace or a bracelet.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    Maybe I am old school but I love my alta, it gives me what inform I want I can change the bands out to match my outfits.
    Do the more expensive models track your exercise better?

I have the Alta too, i assumed because all of my exercise is step based (walking), i didn't need the fancy and expensive HR models.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

If your arms aren't swinging (pushing a cart/stroller, holding a coffee cup, holding a toddlers hand etc) your steps don't count. A simple solution is you can store it in your sock or bra to get a more accurate step count,

I've never understood this.
    If your fitbit is in your bra how is it moving more than your wrist?
    My bra and wrist pushing a cart are moving forward at the same rate of speed.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

If your arms aren't swinging (pushing a cart/stroller, holding a coffee cup, holding a toddlers hand etc) your steps don't count. A simple solution is you can store it in your sock or bra to get a more accurate step count,

I've never understood this.
    If your fitbit is in your bra how is it moving more than your wrist?
    My bra and wrist pushing a cart are moving forward at the same rate of speed.

Maybe because the handle of whatever you're pushing is dulling the thump of the step?? As for the arm swinging, my tracker picks up my steps whether i swing my arm or keep it still, makes no difference.
  • heybales
    Options
    Correct to above and effect seen.

Contrary to popular notion - it's not using the swing of the arms to get a step count (otherwise how do all the hip ones work, or wrist ones worn on the body) - it's trying to detect impact of steps despite the swing of the arms.

Swing your arms just right and you can foul up seeing an impact.

As well as holding wrist rock steady on something you push.