Fellow lifting ladies - where do you carry your phone/music player when you're at the gym?

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    In the bra...I resisted for ages, but for me it is the only practical solution.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    I use an arm band that I bought off amazon.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    I like listening to music through my cell when I exercise. When I used to go jogging, I always just carried my phone in my hand and that worked fine. Now that I've started lifting weights at a gym I'm having trouble figuring out how best to carry my cell so I can continue to listen to music. The shorts I started out wearing had little shallow girl pockets so my phone kept falling out. I tried sweat pants once, because they had deep pockets, but I was sweating up a storm and that was super uncomfortable. Last try was to go buy some yoga pants, because it seems like that's what all the cool kids are wearing. Those are super comfy but NONE of the ones I saw had any sort of pocket option. I figured there'd be something like a back pocket or something in the belly band but no. I ended up shoving my cell into the waist band while I worked out but it's not very secure- I need a better idea. Help!

For a while I just tucked it in my sports bra so that my headphones would reach. Then I started ruining my headphones and phone from the amount of sweat that would collect. Now I have shorts from Body Engineers and wireless headphones so that my phone can stay in the pockets. These shorts are pricey but they have the deepest and most sweat-wicking pockets that I could find, so for me they're worth it.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Try something like a running belt. There are cheaper ones out there, but this gives you the idea.
    https://spibelt.com/
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    To those who opt for bra stashing: I remember that the money my mom would oft retrieve from her "pocket" (as she called it) was always moist. :/ I can only imagine how a phone might feel post-workout.

If I let myself go down the line and fully embrace some man boobage, I think I'll invest in a good sports bra and try things myself. I hope it feels better than arm bands. I'm not a fan of those.
  • JoRocka wrote: »
    I use an old fashioned iPod Classic- but I'm ready to get some blue tooth headphones for my phone since I have spotify premium which is better than constantly buying and downloading new music.

I don't. I leave mine at the desk with the staff so they can answer if the school calls about the kids.

Then I go do my workout and focus 100% on the weights without distraction from my phone.

This seems entitled and douchey. Field your own phone calls.

It's one of the perks parents and those expecting important phone calls get to use. Sorry yours doesn't care enough to offer it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Wireless headphones. Never going back.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I don't know. I don't like those belt thingys. What do you do when the weight gets heavy and you put on your lifting belt too? And the arm band...gah. I could imagine it slipping down while I'm squatting a couple plates and throwing me off.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited June 2017
    I gave up on music when I started lifting - I spent so long swapping my iPod (not phone, because of potential for sweat damage) out of my armband and into a pocket for upper body work, swapping it back to bench press, re-routing the wire to squat (I prefer the wire down my back in general/for cardio)...

I discovered that I don't need music for weights the same way I did for vile, horrible HIIT, and the gym music is enough for me.
    Also not being headphoned up, even Bluetooth, makes it easier to talk to people just a little bit when you're asking to work in, or asking if they're actually using the bench press or just needed a towel rack (totally did that today), or getting a bit of technique advice.

I have a shared spreadsheet from my trainer for tracking my workouts, so I have my phone with me for that.
    My gym's in a basement and has zero reception, so the important calls can just go to voicemail B)
  • ruffio77
    ruffio77 Posts: 2 Member
    I swim also so I have a waterproof ipod shuffle that I clip on to my tanktop with short cord earbuds. If I want to use my phone for spotify I will use my flipbelt to hold it and bluethooth headphones. The flipbelt is great as you can wear lower on your hips and not at your waist as it is meant to be like the flip over part of yoga pants and lays flat.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    If you go to Best Buy they have cell phone holders that you can wrap around your arm.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I'm carrying a bag around with me anyway (2 water bottles, collars - if you actually manage to find 2 of the gym's, you'll have to fight with them getting them on and off and they are a pain if you are rowing smaller plates like me - BB lands on the collar ends, 1.25 lb plates, rope/carabiner for the 1.25 lb plates - some of the cable machines have only 5+ lb increments,...) so the phone goes in there (in the rest of my purse for some protection from the plates). (bluetooth headphones).
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have Bluetooth headphones but I just bought a VS sports bra that has boob pockets. Basically there is an extra layer of fabric on each of the cups, creating two pockets. I haven't used them for my runs yet but better than stuffing it between the two layers of my shock absorber 'active' sports bra in a way it was not intended for. :lol:
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I have Bluetooth headphones but I just bought a VS sports bra that has boob pockets. Basically there is an extra layer of fabric on each of the cups, creating two pockets. I haven't used them for my runs yet but better than stuffing it between the two layers of my shock absorber 'active' sports bra in a way it was not intended for. :lol:

I need this.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I use an old fashioned iPod Classic- but I'm ready to get some blue tooth headphones for my phone since I have spotify premium which is better than constantly buying and downloading new music.

I don't. I leave mine at the desk with the staff so they can answer if the school calls about the kids.

Then I go do my workout and focus 100% on the weights without distraction from my phone.

This seems entitled and douchey. Field your own phone calls.

It's one of the perks parents and those expecting important phone calls get to use. Sorry yours doesn't care enough to offer it.

I don't have kids and if I did I certainly wouldn't leave my phone with someone else if it did- because it's entitled and douchey.

no thanks- I'll pass... .My gym has TEN squat racks. I'm quite happy where I am.

66250640.jpg
    But isn't it though!

I'd like to point out also... My gym isn't a specialty gym with a heavy price tag... It's just... a gym. 19.99/month... No contract.
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Loving this long thread of lifting ladies! I come at it from both ends: I only own pants from Senita Athletics, because they all have giant pockets, and are cute and affordable. I also only use bluetooth headphones. Problem solved.