Macro count category?

I'm doing 45 mins HIIT 3 times per week. I weigh 119 pounds, 41 years of age, small build.

I would like to build muscle but I'm doing HIIT first to gain strength & reduce fat loss before lifting heavier weights.

Do I calculate macros in weight loss, weight stability or weight gain?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You won't build muscle doing HIIT. Lift weights and eat in a calorie surplus to gain muscle.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member

To get a good answer, you need to pose a good question. Try again.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    What do you mean by HIIT, do you mean interval training, alternating strength and cardio? I think you would have to be a superhero to do 45 mins of true HIIT 3 times per week.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited June 2017
    Ok, I'll try again.

My workout 3 x per week for 12 weeks:

1k running machine
    Circuit: 15 x TRX tucks, 12 x (4kg) thrusts, 10 x (4kg) lunge/deads
    800m run
    Circuit
    600m run
    Circuit
    400m run
    Circuit
    200m run

Ignore weight lifting for now, I'm not there yet.

Calculating macros: Do I calculate macros in the gain weight, lose weight or maintain weight section of MFP?

Can't make it simpler than this guys.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Well, which are you trying to do? I can't tell from your posts. If you want your weight to stay the same, but your body comp to change, then your goal is to maintain. I think the other two are self explanatory.

Honestly, macros are personal preference. In general, you want to make sure you get enough protein to build muscle and enough carbs to fuel your workout. Many people look at the mfp protein and fat goal as a minimum and let carbs fall where they may.

I'm not really a macro expert but I'm sure others will jump in soon.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I'm doing 45 mins HIIT 3 times per week. I weigh 119 pounds, 41 years of age, small build.

I would like to build muscle but I'm doing HIIT first to gain strength & reduce fat loss before lifting heavier weights.

HIIT for more than 20 min isnt true hiit,its more along the lines of circuit training.and true hiit shouldnt be done 3x a week,if you want to gain muscle you can either set MFP to maintain your weight,eat those calories and eat exercise calories back and lift weights to do a recomp(which is really slow) or to gain decent muscle set it to gain .5 lb(1/2 lb) a week to do a slow small bulk.with hiit you may gain stamina but it wont really make you stronger. fat loss comes with a caloric deficit(and you can lose fat in a recomp)
  • Silkysausage
    I want to lose body fat but retain muscle...a small amount of tone from my 3 x week exercise.

Lifesum has me at 1400 cals whilst MFP has me at 1690 cals? 1400 very low?

Currently 119 pounds, choosing to lose could be dangerous.

Maintain - not enough fat loss

Gain - not until wanting to build muscle.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Your program and your goals are not aligned, which is the big issues. You might get a little stronger, but you will leave a lot of the table. Fat loss will occur when you control calories.

For calories, you want to set it up to lose; probably a the range of 1/2 -1 lb per week. And while HIIT is mildly effective at maintaining muscle mass, it's not optimal and may not occur. I'd put protein around 1g per lb since you aren't resistance training. Fats should range .35-.6g /lb of lbm and fill in the rest with carbs.

BTW, you dont' have to weight lift, you can do body resistance programs.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Calculating macros: Do I calculate macros in the gain weight, lose weight or maintain weight section of MFP?

The problem is that there are no such sections. When you set up your profile you select whether you want to maintain lose or gain weight. You also can select your percentage of calories from fat protein and carbohydrate. This may help:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/beginners-guide-fits-macros-iifym/

I should add that you get a little bit more reporting of your Macros if you pay the $50 yearly "Go Pro" fee.
  • Silkysausage

The problem is that there are no such sections. When you set up your profile you select whether you want to maintain lose or gain weight. You also can select your percentage of calories from fat protein and carbohydrate. This may help:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/beginners-guide-fits-macros-iifym/

I should add that you get a little bit more reporting of your Macros if you pay the $50 yearly "Go Pro" fee.

This is exactly what I mean! The sections when you set up your profile are what I said in the first place!!!!
  • Silkysausage
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Your program and your goals are not aligned, which is the big issues. You might get a little stronger, but you will leave a lot of the table. Fat loss will occur when you control calories.

For calories, you want to set it up to lose; probably a the range of 1/2 -1 lb per week. And while HIIT is mildly effective at maintaining muscle mass, it's not optimal and may not occur. I'd put protein around 1g per lb since you aren't resistance training. Fats should range .35-.6g /lb of lbm and fill in the rest with carbs.

BTW, you dont' have to weight lift, you can do body resistance programs.

Yes! Thank you for understanding the questions. This is exactly what I meant, thank you.

I understand the muscle mass with HIIT is not brilliant but I am following the programme with weight training.

Much appreciation!
  • ashringg
    ashringg Posts: 15 Member
    Lots of these comments were insightful!.

If this helps, my percentages are at 40c/40p/20f.